Current Feedback Amplifiers, not only a semantic problem?

What the CFA defines is it's unique and clever topology.
What is this topology ?
Why is it important where the transimpedance is located?
Is there a transimpedance from inputs to output ?

You can always find transimpedance, in a bipolar VFA you can establish a relation between input base current and the output voltage
In this test you can clearly see there is, thereby separating a CFA from a VFA.

I disagree, the test doesn't make the difference between a transimpedance behaviour and a low open loop differential impedance.
Are you saying that a CFA does the same as a VFA.
That would be like saying that a Deux Chevaux is doing the same as a Greyhound Bus.
Both can transport people, have wheels, an engine and a steering wheel.
All that can be done with a CFA can be done with a VFA, with one advantage for VFA : the impedance feedback network can be increased.
This has be shown by Hierfi with his thevenin equivalent schematics.

Many people think the inverting input loads the feedback network, so the feedback should be called of voltage of current according to the ration of the impedance. This is incorrect. With typical values of network resistors (R to ground = 1 kOhm or less), the inverting input acts as a voltage input.

Your question can be turned: why the low Z inverting input does not load the feedback network ? To me, it is a fundamental question, it made me to come back to this thread :

The negative feedback loop has the strange property to bootstrap the load of the inverting input with the effect of decreasing its AC current amplitude. Otherwise said, there is a hidden positive feedback in the loop.

As can be seen on this example, the negative input closed loop impedance is more than 20 times the impedance of the feedback network.

Attachments

• ad8012 open loop closed loop.PNG
    ad8012 open loop closed loop.PNG
    157.7 KB · Views: 184
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Your question can be turned: why the low Z inverting input does not load the feedback network ? To me, it is a fundamental question, it made me to come back to this thread :

The negative feedback loop has the strange property to bootstrap the load of the inverting input with the effect of decreasing its AC current amplitude. Otherwise said, there is a hidden positive feedback in the loop.

As mentioned before, it appears you are slowly discovering how feedback really works! One more hint: the difference in signal between +Vin and the -Vin input is exactly Vout/Aol.

And let me take this opportunity again to bring up an earlier accepted distinction between a VFA and a CFA: in a CFA, the current in the feedback node -Vin is the output (collector) current of the input device. In a VFA, the input device (collector) output current comes from the standing tail current.

Have a great Sunday!

Jan

What is this (CFA) topology ?

I disagree, the test doesn't make the difference between a transimpedance behaviour and a low open loop differential impedance.

All that can be done with a CFA can be done with a VFA.

Tubes amplifiers with feedback also belong to the CFA category and exist since eighty years. Once again, I ask to not restrict CFAs to modern topologies.

I am not aware of amplifier inputs working with active devices having not transconductance as main characteristic. A real current inverting input (belonging to a real CFA) should be a transimpedance circuit needing a current as feedback signal, this has been explained by Herve sometime ago. Looking at "documentation" about CFA's, the term transimpedance related to input stages appears.

what meaning can be given to CFA ?

In these replies it has now become more than obvious that both of you are turning the world upside down.

Some manufacturer came to the market with a topology they called CFA.
You are denying this by saying it is not a CFA.
So the whole discussion seems to boil down to the point that you have made your own definition of a CFA that does not correspond to what the industrie has done.
That's like saying: its not a Ferrari but a car and cars where there long before Ferrari.

The first step you both have to make is to accept that this name has been given as a fact of life to a specific topology, whether you like it or not.
And then like Reodor has suggested concentrate on one circuit representative to this group and not on some self created vehicle.

And please don't make unsubstantiated silly remarks about low open loop circuits or tube amplifiers belonging to the CFA category, etc, etc.
As long as you do not accept that this CFA name has been given to a specific topology, this whole discussion is moot.

Hans

In these replies it has now become more than obvious that both of you are turning the world upside down.
To switch the world back to its initial state.
Just read below, there are numerous posts like that, recalling the history behind modern CFA's.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/81669-current-feedback-suitable-audio-post954201.html

4th July 2006, 10:24 Jan Didden

I can see your point(s), but I also think that the term CFB coming from the
semi corporations is not necessarily the result of their conviction that
indeed it is a different class. I am convinced that an important reason behind it was for marketing purposes. It is difficult to convince customers that your umpteenth opamp is really different, unless you give it a different name.
Hence CFB. And possibly the guy who coined the term wasn't aware of the
previous use of the term current feedback in another context.
These are historical things, and the best we can do is to make clear what we
mean whenever we use the terms.

Some manufacturer came to the market with a topology they called CFA.
They do not invented it.

You are denying this by saying it is not a CFA.
The operation of feedback is based on differential voltage.

So the whole discussion seems to boil down to the point that you have made your own definition of a CFA that does not correspond to what the industrie has done.
The aim of the whole discussion is, or was :

- to establish if the word "current" as used for modern CFA's can be justified

- to observe the mechanism of amplifiers having low impedance inverting input which characterize CFA's what ever their circuits. We could also define them as Unbalanced Input Impedances Amplifiers.

The first step you both have to make is to accept that this name has been given as a fact of life to a specific topology, whether you like it or not.
And then like Reodor has suggested concentrate on one circuit representative to this group and not on some self created vehicle.
The basic analasys does not change whatever the topology.

Diamond circuits are nothing else than a stacking sophistications of the primary old CFA circuit then (circa 1935) considered as a VFA.

Concentrating on the voltage following electrode(s) of the input stage is valid in any case.

And please don't make unsubstantiated silly remarks about low open loop circuits or tube amplifiers belonging to the CFA category, etc, etc.
Why do not suggest a naming for the topology of these old circuits to differentiate them from the symetrical eighties circuits ?

As long as you do not accept that this CFA name has been given to a specific topology, this whole discussion is moot.
This thread is not to the glory of diamond input stages and there is not the slightest reason why they should appropriate this naming.

The industry has been able to impose an expression. If some people find it fallacious, not agreeing with what it pretends to describe, they have all the rights to express their opinion, and they do that with arguments which are strangely not really contested.

Last edited:
The Government in Germany has spent a huge 500 Billion Euro's to reduce CO2 production.
No differences in CO2 concentration before/after are recently being measured as a dramatic result of these enormous investments.
Instead of trying to find better ways to come to an effective reduction, the green climate fraction doesn't want to hear this and pushes to go on the same way, throwing money in a black hole without the willingness to listening to anybody at all.

Now and then this CFA discussion has some parallels.

Hans

And so you just repeat ad infinitum ‘it’s voltage feedback’ as if that will somehow make it true. We have also clearly defined current output and current feedback (two totally different things)

We ?

so you cannot use that as an excuse or claim the semiconductor industry confused the two things. They did not.
They did and they were perfectly aware of it. Refer to those who hightlighted the problem since then.

The Government in Germany has spent a huge 500 Billion Euro's to reduce CO2 production.
No differences in CO2 concentration before/after are recently being measured as a dramatic result of these enormous investments.
Instead of trying to find better ways to come to an effective reduction, the green climate fraction doesn't want to hear this and pushes to go on the same way, throwing money in a black hole without the willingness to listening to anybody at all.
There are more people who prefer to spend huge amounts of money for their wonderful, ultra-powerful and awfully poluting car (see who currently violently manifests in France and why) than people, conscient of the effects of gigantic CO2 production, wondering what to do to diminish them. Even in country where I lived since years because I found the air in town unbreathable, I see the C02 consequences every day.
Now and then this CFA discussion has some parallels.
Your comparisons are weird. This one will lead to political considerations so I won't go further in that direction as speaking of politics is not allowed here, I think.

Can you give audio/RF relevant examples of these predictions please.

Dan.

I don't understand your question. Maybe I was not clear. The Electric Universe is mainly focused in Astronomy and Astro-physics. The predictions I talked about are in that domain.

Audio and RF are electric phenomena, aren't they? We can keep the accepted knowledge for now in that domain.

Dear Scott, as N101N was trying (I think) to warn us, I believe that the abuse of maths and models in an hyper-logic way (left hemisphere) can let us to predict stuff that bears no parallel to reality. What is wrong with good old retro-ductive thinking and empiricism IF it serves to create a working model that can be bombarded with heavy artillery and still function?
I am talking here of method.

As Forr said, in other ways, can there be "current" without a dielectric field being "there" first?
Maybe to solve this "CFA problem", we have to define current, define feedback and define amplifier to start with, hehe.

I forgot to add: do not confound pollution with CO2. Experts say that CO2 has little effect on GW.
Probably the thing goes something like this: increased Solar activity--> increased GW--> increase bio-mass--> increased CO2.
Pollution is bad. That is why I walk and do not use a car...I leave my carbon print on the bathroom...

Cheers everybody,
M.

PS: I am only a dilettante, so please continue with your interesting talk.

Last edited:
I forgot to add: do not confound pollution with CO2. Experts say that CO2 has little effect on GW.
Hi Max,

I'm afraid nobody want to listen to these experts because we have probably past a point of no return.
The climate is permanently changing with a rate of some 100.000 years between Ice Ages and so do sea levels for as long as our planet exists
Be we humans are convinced that we can stop this cycle. :D

Wouldn't it be nice of we could travel in time and see what's going on 50 years from now?

Hans

And so you just repeat ad infinitum ‘it’s voltage feedback’ as if that will somehow make it true.

We have also clearly defined current output and current feedback (two totally different things) so you cannot use that as an excuse or claim the semiconductor industry confused the two things. They did not.
Yes, CFA and VFA are Constant Voltage Amplifiers, Constant Current Amplifier is a way of saying Output Current Feedback (ie load current sensing) amplifier.

Dan.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, CFA and VFA are Constant Voltage Amplifiers, Constant Current Amplifier is a way of saying Output Current Feedback (ie load current sensing) amplifier.

Dan.

No Max they are not and and long as those who thrive on obfuscation, arguments and plain bovine excrement repeat this nonsense, we have no chance of resolving this.

Please read up on the cononical feedback forms and then current output amplifiers and then tell me the current output = current feedback. It does not.