Curious about fuses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interruption of short-circuit current comes a little bit later - see similar image in different time window:

Attachments

• fuse2.gif
    fuse2.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 193
I am not the fuse designer, so I cannot advice.

The test shown was an AC test, these tests performed also on small type glass fuses according to valid standards. Cut-off current depends on di/dt, for fast slopes (high slew rates :D :D , someone might guess why I sincerely laugh :D :D ), the higher di/dt the higher cut-off current, as it is a question of melting integral. Withstand (recovery) voltage is a question of distance and filling material.

PMA said:
Poobah,

quite well, you can see melting current (current shape firstly follows 50Hz shape from short-circuit generator of some 10 - 100kA current, according to test type), fuse wire melts after some 100us and then you can see arc current.

I am sorry I mixed cut-off current and melting current. First you see cut-off current and then melting current.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pavel,
Thanks, now that makes sense to me. I didn't realise you had enough energy an create an arc as well.

Most people don't understand that a blowing fuse is very much a time lag thing.

Poobah,
If I am correct, the length of the element gives it it's withstand voltage during and after an interruption. My very simplified understanding.

-Chris

Edit: Pavel, I see you answered my question as I was posting.

poobah said:
PMA,

Do you know any tricks for extending the interrupting voltage rating of a fuse... this is for a DC application? Right now, I have 60 Volt ratings (SMT fuses) but I may need to increase to 160 Volts. I wish avoid large tubular fuses.

;)

Try searching the littlefuse site,

I found these , I don't know if it helps you: http://www.littlefuse.com/data/en/Data_Sheets/446_447.pdf

I use other types of littlefuses at work, some SMT you can get sockets for.

\Jens

anatech said:
Hi Pavel,
Thanks, now that makes sense to me. I didn't realise you had enough energy an create an arc as well.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

it is not me who has enough power to create arc, but High Power testing plant here in Prague, they have short-circuit generators up to some 63kArms/50Hz/0,1s, and I have been designing a lot of measuring instruments for their short-circuit tests.

Gimme a break Chris! - :D

Thanks Jens,

Those are better at 125 VDC... but I still may need 160. All depends... I am preparing for protracted battle with U.L.

We may be forced to ditch the onboard fuses anyway in favor of in-lines... which I hate because the packages are either cheesey or pricey. One system may require 70 to 140 fuses... so cost is an issue.

:xeye:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hiya poobah!
I thought those fuses would be good for 160VDC. I know interrupting DC is harder that AC. Didn't know that the interrupting voltage rating would be that much lower than the AC rating.

I guess you can't use those fuse board things for the 3AG size either.

-Chris

Right now I have 2 fuse sizes... 2 at 15 Amps & 5 at 0.125 Amps. These are SMT and mounted directly.

The typical interupting voltage is 54 Volts +/-. Under very rare circumstances, an open circuit battery, the interupting voltage could be as high as 160 Volts... I am hoping that U.L. won't realize the very rare circumstance. Or, that I can find a legit solution.

We may well be forced to relocate fusing as close to the batteries as possible... in which case, the SMTs are out of the question anyway. I have yet to find to inline holder that is: about 1$ or less, suitable for high-speed (automatic) termination, NO pigtails with butt splices/crimps, and doesn't look like ****.

EDIT: Inrush... no real numbers... but very small... 2.2 uF @ 13.5 to 54 Volts /with 154K in series. & 100 uF @ 54 Volts /with 100 Ohm in series.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.