CSS 3 way bookshelf speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks. That helps a lot. These SDX7 make lovely bass with a port but just don't have any ability to go very loud ported. Might try ported again for a small room application though. Not sure where these are going. You said slot at 27 Hz eh?

I believe I saw you and/or your product at CES years ago. Some towers with CSS drivers and the Usher room were the only speakers of the hundreds I heard I really liked. And I went to the off site HiFi shows as well. I think that was where it was.

Greg
Calgary

Flickr search for HT1 HT2 HT3 HT6 HT8 Apex Apex C RA1 RA6 RA8 or any CSS driver you will link to my site.

THanks for the kind comments. I believe you are referring to CES in 2006. That year at the Alexis Park we had a large combined effort. I had teamed up with Bob from CSS we had the side room off the main large room which Dan Wiggins from Adire had. Dan was showing the xbl^2 motor technology and I would show private sections of listening to companies. Way to many to list. At the same time had my clients and public come and go in our room. Bob made some oem contactso that year. Dan Wiggins had us set up with Slim Device. For the CES review of the first streaming medal player. Shortly after few years later Slim Device sold to Logitec ..

At CES that year I had the HT8 speakers with wr125st mids my RA104.5 Arum Cantus ribbon with twin side firing Extremis woofers. Plus I had the Wr125s speaker in the Koa cabinets full range. This was the best combo to show.

Time goes by fast

Al

Rick long time no chat.
Yes for sure if you make it to Vancouver area lmk. For sure will get together and spend some time together.

Health not the best makes life daily challenges like walking and movement very challenging. Still try to keep the feet wet.��

Driver spec looks normal as most drivers are plus or minus build spec 5 to 10 percent. As I mentioned in pm. Specs can change from build batch to batch. But this is normal. That is why if you get a custom transducer made you have to have build tolerance spec set tested. Tighter the better. And order large quantity. Small ordered also makes for quality and spec a issue from batch to batch, most build houses.

.75cft tuning to 28hz
For the SDX7 those have no problem playing all day long in those parameters.
And if you can like i said slot port. I switched all my designs to slotp ports many years ago. The cabinet designs unload completely different when you compare the same designs.

I have a pair of CSS bought ribbon tweeters(are these Aurum Cantus?) that were sitting in a box for 8 years. Just paired them with an old Tang band 4" which were sitting in small ported boxes ... cannot remember the number .... The TBs always sounded really coloured when running full range. But crossed at 5000 Hz first order with the ribbons and running as 'small' speakers crossed at 100 Hz on the Arcam AV pre the combo is delicious. The soundstage is amazing with the tweeters 3/4" back from the 4". Phase I guess. And a sub of course. Sweet spot for the amazing sound stage is about the size of a basketball though. That never impresses the spouse when you have to tell them where to place their head exactly...

Last edited:
Haven't touched DIY for 3 or more years and having fun the last three weeks getting back at it.
Have an incomplete project using scan speak 8530 k00 and 2905/9500 tweeters. Troells designed a crossover for me as he hadn't posted this particular combo on his site. It is the small 10 litre mini. Finally gathered all the crossover parts(cost a fortune) and am soldering the crossover. Hence the question about soldering earlier. I studied 3 years of EE but still cannot really understand the Series crossover he designed.

I have enjoyed my 8530 k00 for a long time (circa 2001). However my 8530's use the Vifa XT25 ring rad tweeter which also happen to like series x-over on a ported 14 liter BR enclosure. Some say the optimum size for the 8530 (BR) is 16 liters. As for the x-over... Have you tried to simulate using Xsim? I'm EE too, but some things don't understand at all..:cannotbe:.

Haven't touched DIY for 3 or more years and having fun the last three weeks getting back at it.
Have an incomplete project using scan speak 8530 k00 and 2905/9500 tweeters. Troells designed a crossover for me as he hadn't posted this particular combo on his site. It is the small 10 litre mini. Finally gathered all the parts(cost a fortune) and am soldering the crossover. Hence the question about soldering earlier. I studied 3 years of EE but still cannot really understand the Series crossover he designed.

Just blathered on enthusiastically about XSim for the last few days on the Software Tools forum about XSim and my Scan Speak drivers and a crossover designed for me by a famous Dane.. Wow I have a lot to learn. Having some fundamentals from doing 3/4 of an EE degree 35 years ago had helped. Pretty rusty on it though as my career went a different more Arts oriented direction. Thank you Revelator for the suggestion of X-Sim.

Funny how I find out others are or have been on the path I find myself.

I have the CSS RT2 ribbon tweeter, and the CSS LDW7 woofer. I picked up a set of 5 inch full range Tang Bands and plan to try a 3 way. I am listening to the Tang Bands now in a 0.2 cubic foot sealed enclosure, running them full range while I build up the woofer box.

I intend to go active, as I have the amp channels, and an old used pro 3 way Xover.

I am thinking 300Hz and 5000Hz for my crossover points. We will see!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.