CS8414 spdif problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
analog_sa said:

Dammit, spilled coffee all over myself. It's plain irresponsible to insert such a gem into this boring thread.

Sorry for that mate. :D

For anyone who has problem using cs84xx you could opt for dir9001 from BB. iirc there is taiwan guy selling adaptor board/ ic for a very reasonable price. look for trade posts on our web / or do a search. ;)

Some say it sounds better too. :eek:

ps. Kuala Lumpur is a capital city of Malaysia. :smash:

Apropos Adaptors:

I have excellent experience with the DF1704 (digital filter) on an Adaptor-Replacement: It is working with the PCM63 really fantastic - I could not think about having a disadvantage because of using an Adaptor here.

Same point about PCM-Adaptors: "Monarchy Audio" developed an adaptor which is replacing the PCM63P-K with PCM1704U-K in their DACs. They advertise the PCM1704U-K adaptor as "a drastic measure to improve the PCM 63 in any (such) installation" (!!). They do so despite the fact that they are "jammed" with many NOS (new old stock) PCM63P-K which must have cost them a lot and which they can hardly sale.

So an Adaptor can still work OK, depends on what one have at hand (& head). As long as it is an improvement…

Y not?

Robot, I did Compared my AVM DAC 1.2 with TDA 1541 NONOS, also the Gold Crown … what can I tell you, it is indeed not my tribe… but I am not looking for a relaxed sound… It should be precise, fast, energetic, acoustically correct, not aggressive and very alive…

Reducing jitter through the using of CS8414 might not work? Can’t tell yet. But can this be true that while the Yamaha Receiver (YM3623b) is capable of having thousands of ps(?!), a CS8414 is limited to “only” 200ps?

What left? A precise clock! Just hope that this will not make the sound-stage to seemed somehow too narrow...

Other part of my dilemma and apropos PCMs 63: I have PCM63P-K from Korea, Phl. and Japan. Some of them are a knockout, others are so terrible…

Hi Irqjedemand, I have diy audio note dac with ad 1865K with some "enhancements", and I' m now using a really wonderful old transport meridian 203, which uses additional software for enhanced reading the discs, and also uses a famous pcf chip for digital output. Sound is detail, natural, with great midranges, and lot of detail. I think that Audio Note changed pcm 63 for the ad 1865 becouse of better sounding. Most of digital diyers agree that pcm 1704 is probbably best, but I would not forget the SAA-s, a great philips bitstreams which could be find in some legendary dacs.
(One fine day I m planing to do some work with cs8414/pmd100/saa7230 and nice tube output....:cool: )
I agree for monarchy audio, they had a very good dacs, but I still think that tweaking in digital circuits could be tricky thing. I didn t have experience with any yamaha receivers, so I couldn t tell you bout tham but I read somewhere that actually cs8414 had much smaller jitter than declared...
;)
Speaking about pcm63 s, which are better for your opinion, Japs (kamikaze), Korean, Malasian or Phillipines. I hope that Maors dont produce tham.

Hi Robot,

Wow! 5 month ago I had at home an old Meridian 203 Transport for a try, and I really loved it: It was powerful, "strait forward", amazing midrange sound (this special digital-out chip :angel: ) but then it became more and more obvious to me that it is doing "something" to the sound. Then I brought home the Meridian 500 Transport for a second try :D and then I realized that this is the Meridian sound concept. It didn't work for me also because at that time I was trying it, I had several BB OPA604AP all over the DAC/PRE, so it could have not been more wrong then having both OPA604 and the meridian midrange; It was simply much too much from the same.

You are anyhow very right about the great midrange, and this reminds me that on the TDA nonos I had a feeling of strong midrange too. So it is becoming now a matter of different tastes between us.

As for changing from BBpcm63 to the AD1865 – may be, as there are so many things to try, I will have this in mind for now. As for the 63s which I already have, I can't tell you if it the Japan, Korean or Philippines is what that “thing” that make the different sounds. I read on diyAudio that this meant only to say where the selection has been done (but not where it was produced).

Indeed, the sound-difference(s( between all 63s is/are very big: Generally speaking, as higher the selection grade is, you will clearly HEAR the less aggressive and more refine sound. On the other hand, if you don't get a matched pair, as higher the selection grade is going – the worth the sound differences between the Chips becomes, and it works terribly negative!!!!!!!

I had to step back to the PCM63P-K from Korea at the moment. Once I tried the “K” (Phl) and 1x "Y" (Japan) that I have, I think it is clear that not every "K" is a “K”, and that the “Y” might be the best, may be even better then the pcm1704. I need anyhow several pairs for a friend, so we are buying now several of them.

One for sure: It is simply impossible to say anything serious before one get a real matched pair of PCMs. Very tricky subject!!

You and me are going sometime the same ways… I am using a heavily modified Marantz CD72-SE as a Transport. If I am not wrong, it should have inside the improved SAA /Philips bitstream... (but for me it is "too nice" and less involving). What more? I was thinking of getting the pmd100 for a long time! I am now very happy with the DF1704 adaptor.

Back to the cs8414 - yes I have some hopes about it concerning Jitter :) . Somebody wrote me a beautiful mail: Among other things, he founds the cs8414 input stage to be very poor, but he was also very supportive. In his words: "Sticking in a Crystal adaptor fixes some of the problems. Sticking in a XO-DAC fixes all of them". So I am not done yet. By the way, I "feel" that he is very correct with this.

Hm, speaking 'bout letters, in our coutry we have proverb, a bear fuc.ed a tree becouse somebody write word pus.y on it.
So in analogy, if somebody writed a letter on dac, it doesn t mean automatically that is the right stuff, and it is pretty important that that diyers from all around excange informations. Essentially I agree for meridian, a great machine, probably one of best transports ever built, but dac, even it was bitstream saa7321 was spoiled with infamous ne5534 opamps which gave it harshness in sound, but in that time it was one of best players aviable. Also a big problem for servicing meridian is rare philips transport, software in eproms for correcting laser beam, so I would probably get rid of it..:dead:
I think that Mr. Westlake could say something about saa-s :), he knows a little bit 'bout bitstreams, and all the necessary woodoo.
I have all necessary parts (cs-s,pmd100, ad1865, saa-s,) but momentaly Im enjoying in music....:cool: nonoversampled siesta:cool:

robot said:
There is one pretty simple way to know if receiver is working, witihout scope (if we presume the proper soldering and proper power supply) - a lock on diode connected to a pin 28 VERF, if receiver locks signal, probably is working...:angel: [/B]

I made simple TDA1543 DAC with CS8414 and it not work. All power voltages are correct.

On pin 28 is 5V, what dose it seem ?

Zigis said:

I made simple TDA1543 DAC with CS8414 and it not work. All power voltages are correct.

On pin 28 is 5V, what dose it seem ?

rfbrw:D,that s also true I forgot it...
@zigis, witihout scope it is hard to say where is problem, is there spdif incoming, is receiver properly set to a valid input of the tda-(16bit i2s for a non A version), is the tda also working...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.