• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Crystal RCA Caps (Tweak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a short look at the german forum. There are no measurements only assumptions. I'm not interested in that but thanks for the hint.
Good luck with your plugs.
Well, some actually try them, this is not the right tweak to persist on measurements, just like cables, power conditioners, dacs, and a few other things :)

and if only measurements tell somebody (apparently) the truth than please, look for another thread

-----

i just bought these:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005250325658.html
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005719169699.html

goal will be to put some larger cap or two inside between V+ and GND as noise filter ( 1000uF give you a noise filter starting at 3khz ) AND fill the plug with my crystal mix

i already tested a 470uF cap on a usb plug, this works quite well and is (kindof) comparable to a ifi isilencer in a second usb slot, imo its a very cheap tweak that still seems to work fine :)

Turmaline is ferroelectric.
Ferroelectrics have an extremely high dielectric constant (permittivity) in the thousands, that's why they are sintered and used for larger capacitance ceramic caps.
My guess would be that filling the plugs with powdered turmaline adds a few hundred picofarads of capacitance.
Together with the source resistance this results in a low pass filter attenuating extreme highs.

My guess would be that filling the plugs with powdered turmaline adds a few hundred picofarads of capacitance.
Together with the source resistance this results in a low pass filter attenuating extreme highs.
yes its a known fact that the chinch plugs with extended plus pole act like an capacitor, tho i settled on a design that includes completely removing the plus pole... no potential capacitor with the way i builded the prototypes so far

even with pluspole removed they make a beneficial improvement (and i like it more than with plus pole) for "whatever" reason

Where are these plugs even supposed to go? Unused outputs of a multi input preamplifier with input selector? In that case the plugs are never in circuit when the preamp is in use but one end is connected to signal ground. If the chrystal was in parallel somewhere it could have an effect like the weird stuff built into Aavik amplifiers which has oscillators integrated which aren't in the signal loop either. We measured one a while ago, I don't remember frequency and amplitude of the oscilator but have it written down somewhere. If you plug people would measure a comparison could be done and maybe some knowledge gained.

Where are these plugs even supposed to go? Unused outputs of a multi input preamplifier with input selector? In that case the plugs are never in circuit when the preamp is in use but one end is connected to signal ground. If the chrystal was in parallel somewhere it could have an effect like the weird stuff built into Aavik amplifiers which has oscillators integrated which aren't in the signal loop either. We measured one a while ago, I don't remember frequency and amplitude of the oscilator but have it written down somewhere. If you plug people would measure a comparison could be done and maybe some knowledge gained.
the plugs utilize only ground!

this is how the cap looks in the prototypes:
i tested some schemes, also with plus pole, but this design sounds the best imo:
think of it as sort of "mini grounding box", no need for signal level
Many devices, my active speakers included dont use the chinch signal pin, unless you use it to transfer music
IMG_20240509_073036.jpg

I’ve been using caps on unused IN and OUT jacks for 25 years, Cardas and other companies, even PWB Electronics, they’re the best, the general idea is to prevent RF from entering the small openings of the unused output and input jacks, these caps are not connected to ground.

I withhold final judgment since PWB is involved if you see what I mean. It’s also possible as I intimated before crystals act as RFI absorber. By the way, caps should be used on ALL unused IN and OUT jacks in the room, including TV, BLURAY player and all audio components.

Last edited:
I’ve been using caps on unused IN and OUT jacks for 25 years, Cardas and other companies, even PWB Electronics, they’re the best, the general idea is to prevent RF from entering the small openings of the unused output and input jacks, these caps are not connected to ground.

I withhold final judgment since PWB is involved if you see what I mean. It’s also possible as I intimated before crystals act as RFI absorber. By the way, caps should be used on ALL unused IN and OUT jacks in the room, including TV, BLURAY player and all audio components.
yes that was also partially the idea behind this prototype design, to fully shield the signal pin and "dont mess with" in form of potential capacitor effects...

also the sound is quite nice compared to other designs imo, maybe partially because of the RF shielding

there was/is a community around black tourmaline filled rca caps in some german forums like open-end-music if you are interested @schiirrn
Link please?
Did they measure anything or it was just opinion based?

Just to clarify here... when i place around 200g of blacktourmaline on the speaker the effect is comparable with 3-4g inside two chinch caps
Agree on that: mathematically 0=0
fact for me is they change the sound positively when you choose the right mix/crystals
Define "change positively"
Measure any change and post it here.

Quoting 6 moons with no further proof almost guaranteed snake oil content.
They post nothing but.

Status
Not open for further replies.