Crown macro and studio reference amps: what's the secret of their slam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bass can have slam, but so can sounds elsewhere in the frequency range. The higher range sounds just won't have that gut feeling.

A contrabassoon has gut feeling. A 64 ft organ pipe has gut feeling, as in subsonics causing your insides to start moving. But neither has slam. A kettle drum has slam in spades, but a fundamental around 150Hz. So it seems its transient rise time (and therefore total bandwidth) that is a primary source of slam.

Either that or Slam is just not quantifiable as too subjective.

Ways to increase "slam

I agree with the recent posts that "slam" or improved transient response by an amp is due to its midrange qualities, not the bass. For better bass, amp makers increase the size of power transformers add a lot of capacitance to reduce the sag that occurs when the energy demand is highest. However, to improve the transient response, the voltage regulators already mentioned are important, but so is low ESR in the power supply section, especially the power capacitors.

I have a Hafler P7000 amp and it seemed a little soft to me in the lower midrange, so I added a single 50 uf 300 volt blackgate capacitor to each bank of 2800 uf ~80 volt capacitors already there. This improved the transient response of the amp noticably, solely because the tiny blackgates could produce the needed electrons faster than the much larger ones.

Other important characteristics of an amp which improves transient response is lower distortion (due to the feedback) and better components in series with the signal. Poor quality resistors and capacitors in the signal path will all kill the transient response of the amp.

It seems that an amp which is better at transient response and lower distortion would reproduce a square wave better than others.

Retsel

Stereophile's definition of slam (or impact) seems as good as any.

A quality of concussive force, as from a deep, strong bass attack, which produces a brief sensation of visceral pressure.

Vasquo, perfect question, thx... and I'll second rayma's post...

For me this definition implies several things....

First, that we are listening at a pretty high SPL to begin with if we are looking for 'slam'.
So how an amp sounds at low level for 'slamming bass' is pretty much immaterial and a bit of a logical contradiction, no matter how efficient the sub(s). Likewise, how much headroom the amp has at low level doesn't matter....

And at any kind of drive level capable of producing a visceral 'slam', the voltage headroom needed to keep from clipping gets pretty dang high pretty dang fast. 12db headroom minimum, 18db mo' better;).

Hey, here's another definition for 'slam'....
....it's when you're at the edge of running out of gear or gas :D

(Gear & gas for the whole slam-impulse bandwidth, that is...)

Have you guys seen this?
Why Crown CTs Amplifiers Sound Better

bottom of page
Summary
Heres why Crown CTs amps sound better than the competition:

LOUDER SOUND due to a bigger V-I plot. That bigger V-I plot is a result of higher-voltage rails and high current capability. The high output current is due to well chosen output devices with high-temperature metal cases.

For the BCA versions, high-efficiency switch mode operation reduces the heat that contstrains high output levels.

SUSTAINED POWER on long-duration signals due to regulated, stiff power supplies with incredible energy storage (huge filter capacitors).

EXTRA HIDDEN POWER during high-level transients and during incomplete use of all the channels.

OVERHEATING AND OVERLOAD PROTECTION thanks to the sophisticated TLC circuitry which compresses the signal only when needed. Compression is controlled not by temperature, but by signal voltage. This keeps the loudness up during compression more than with competitive amps.

I've built around 9 or so amplifiers. Those which have clearly the most 'slam' have one thing in common - high global negative feedback factors. They have very little else in common though.

Interesting remark which MIGHT take us back to the damping factor of these crowns, which is - if I understood correctly - achieved to a great extent by the large amount of feedback applied.

The flywheels at JET are closer to incredible at 400MW each

It was a very impressive set up the last time I saw it. My father helped build JET over the course of many years so I got to see a lot of it, mostly before the huge concrete doors were closed (radioactivity is generated by the machine).

Micing, mixing and EQ techniques could also affect the perceived "slam" factor. I've seen and heard it... Person A's mix at our church is lifeless and dead... the players on stage are rocking it out, and the sound coming from the speakers are Mehhhhh... Person B's mix is alive and "slamming"... same set of equipment, same players, same instruments. Using all Crown amps.. several Crown Macro and CTS models.

Agree. But we can forget about the miking/recording/mixing technique for once.
I know my CDs well, so does my friend who has come to the same conclusion on the particularity of the Crown SR.
The particular slam (or "beat" or "bass attack" or "bass kick" or "oompf" or whatever we can call it) is just there, and it's a result of the amp. Honnest.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It was a very impressive set up the last time I saw it. My father helped build JET over the course of many years so I got to see a lot of it, mostly before the huge concrete doors were closed (radioactivity is generated by the machine).

Yeah, they realised back in the mid 80s that the design would never scale as not enough cobolt in the world to turn into radioactive waste. It must have been scary the first time the plasma short caused the whole torus to jump. Now THAT is power.

Shame fusion is STILL 20 years away and might always remain so bar that big yellow ball in the sky.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would prefer not to comment on the rest of the audio spectrum produced by the amp as it might distract from the main question. It's really the bass realism and punch/slam which is easily noticeable.

when you say bass realism and punch, can you give some examples (tracks would be really good). It would be interesting to analyse the frequency response of what you consider 'bass' and the crest factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.