Crossover Design for 2 Way Towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had started a different thread about choosing the drivers for this project and have come up with some stuff since then. Seeing as that thread has seemingly gone cold, I decided to start a new one dedicated to the crossover design for the speakers. As mentioned, it's going to be a tower design with a volume right around 2 cubic ft, ported. The divers are as follows:

Woofer (1 per tower): https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pa200-8-8-pro-woofer-speaker--295-025

Tweeter (1 per tower): https://www.parts-express.com/tymphany-bc25sc06-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter--264-1028

I'm looking for efficiency in this build. Hoping these will yield 90+ db/w. Either way, in the box I've designed, not set on a tuning frequency yet, they should dip down to 50hz without much of an issue. I really only need them to play clean down to 60hz cause that's where the Subwoofer takes over. The woofer is supposedly pretty tame for an 8" woofer, having very little cone breakup (although a couple mild peaks maybe). What I'm looking for now, given the drivers, is a crossover to mesh them together. I was hoping someone here with the know how regarding the necessary software could draw one up for me. I know there's talented people here that could do that without much of an issue. I've got time too, won't be tackling this project until Christmas where there's a long enough break in school to actually get something done. Feel free to make any suggestions, although I should mention that my budget is 200$ for these speakers completed. These drivers, plus the crossovers should set me back 150$ while the MDF + finish (haven't figured that one out yet) should set me back 50-75$. Just something to keep in mind. Thanks guys!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You are still working on the same speaker no need to spin off a new thread. It went cold because you did not announce your selection of drivers clearly enough. With that said the drivers you picked are excellent high value choices - but I don't think you can integrate them well. The woofer doesn't go high enough before breakup and the tweeter doesn't go low enough. The woofer has a -5dB dip at 850Hz and is 92dB. With baffle step losses you are at 87dB tops for the overall sensitivity. You will need to probably xO near 2k to allow the tweeter to make it without too much distortion on tweeter and taming the breakup peak on the woofer may be challenging. All can be done easily enough in minidsp but not worth the effort to spend time designing a passive xo and cost of expensive xo parts like big caps and coils. Btw, I have done the compare cost of a passive xo vs minidsp and amps many times. For most xo's the minidsp wins everytime. The break even point is $75 per xo parts. If you have two amps already for the minidsp then the break even point is $55 per set of xo parts.

Just curious. Does the port at all compensate for the baffle step loss of the woofer? I could understand why sealed designs might lose up to -6db in the lower frequencies, but you would think a port would help make up for it.
Baffle step is only an effect of the shape of the box (and the driver's position on it), because going down in frequency at a certain point the sound wavelength is bigger than the width of the box and thus "wraps" it. Above that frequency all the sound goes forward, and below only half is forward, so 6dB are lost. Because the driver has a finite surface, the transition is not abrupt, but smooth. Have a look here: Baffle Step Compensation
The box alignment (BR, sealed, TL, ...) has nothing to do with this effect.

Ralf

Baffle step is only an effect of the shape of the box (and the driver's position on it), because going down in frequency at a certain point the sound wavelength is bigger than the width of the box and thus "wraps" it. Above that frequency all the sound goes forward, and below only half is forward, so 6dB are lost. Because the driver has a finite surface, the transition is not abrupt, but smooth. Have a look here: Baffle Step Compensation
The box alignment (BR, sealed, TL, ...) has nothing to do with this effect.

Ralf

Ok, so the fact that its ported wouldn't make a difference. I don't think it's always -6db though, especially since the speakers are in an enclosed space (a room). The sound pressure is still there, just redirected. I'd imagine if I put the speakers near a wall/corner, I would get much of that SPL back although I understand you have to design the speaker as if that wasn't there.

well the Seismic's published FR curve does look a bit more hospitable to your defined goals of sensitivity and relatively smooth enough roll-off that perhaps even a simple 1st order XO on the Tymphany tweeter at say 2500-3200Hz might "work" in the cookbook sense

richter10graph.jpg

but how well they would actually integrate and sound together is an entirely different story.

now something like this might be worth a look - the math is all done, of course whenever you read a builder's review, you're not likely to find much in the negative

https://www.parts-express.com/parts...aker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

Last edited:
I don't know if I found a steal, pricing mix up or what,but something is not right here.

Amazon.com: Seismic Audio Richter 10 (Pair) - 10-Inch PA/DJ Raw Replacement Woofer or Speaker - 400 Watts: Musical Instruments

It's the 10" version of the Richter, but for such a low price. I'm convinced it must be some cheap ripoff or something, cause this doesn't make sense, although it is sold and shipped by Amazon themselves. Any idea what's up with this pricing and if I should grab a pair?

Also the negative reviews, are troubling.

After hearing a couple of systems based on Eminence brand musical instrument / PA drivers, I'd be much more inclined to stick with units designed for home use - decent sounding power is so damned cheap these days that I'd be far happier to sacrifice a few dB of sensitivity for musicality and ease of integration with other drivers in a multi-way system.

FWIW, the response I get to the posted link is for an Amazon sale of $320 Cdn for a pair of the Richter 10s. I don't think that's a particularly low price.

I'm not a shill for Parts Express or the Dayton brand, but you should definitely consider any of their 10 / 12" woofers / subs

CaptCrawfish, I really start to lose patience with your cheapskate and clueless ideas. :D

Shell out another $10 for the https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-alpha-8a-8-pa-driver--290-401.

Forget that lousy cheap tweeter too and all the other hopeless cases you have previously bought cheap in the sale. Well except the scanspeak 3.5" which is actually quite good, except I don't remember if it's sensitive enough here.

You then move into well-documented territory. Because your cheapie Dayton is rather higher Le inductance (1.09mH) and a lot rougher than I like.

Admit it, me old Vikes fan. You haven't got a clue.

FWIW, the response I get to the posted link is for an Amazon sale of $320 Cdn for a pair of the Richter 10s. I don't think that's a particularly low price.

The US Amazon has it listed for $23.51 for a pair. It has to be a pricing error cause that is cheap!

Forget that lousy cheap tweeter too and all the other hopeless cases you have previously bought cheap in the sale. Well except the scanspeak 3.5" which is actually quite good, except I don't remember if it's sensitive enough here.

They're not sensitive enough, only 83db or so (that's what it's listed as at least). They do sound good though :)

CaptCrawfish, I really start to lose patience with your cheapskate and clueless ideas.

Lol, glad you haven't given up on me yet.

Admit it, me old Vikes fan. You haven't got a clue.

You see right through me don't you... lol. Agreed, I know very little. Granted I haven't had much experience thus far. I'm glad you recommended something finally available to me in the US. Yeah, I can shell out a couple extra dollars for a better woofer. Take a look at this woofer though; it's so cheap for me here in the US. Ignore the price for you and just give me your honest opinion regarding the woofer itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio...7186642&sr=1-1&keywords=Seismic+Audio+Richter

Besides that 3.5" running the highs, you got any other ideas regarding a tweeter that I could use. To match that woofer? Damn, I feel like you're designing these for me at this point. Wanna write up a crossover while you're at it?

Thanks for the patience for real though.

Last edited:
After hearing a couple of systems based on Eminence brand musical instrument / PA drivers, I'd be much more inclined to stick with units designed for home use - decent sounding power is so damned cheap these days that I'd be far happier to sacrifice a few dB of sensitivity for musicality and ease of integration with other drivers in a multi-way system.

Chris, here's some other speakers I had help designing. I may end up just building these, I was just looking to get more for my power. Here's a link to the other build. In your opinion PA or these?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...fer-sb-acoustics-tweeter-bookshelf-build.html

Page 5 has the final drivers and crossover design on it. It was only boasting a 86db sensitivity which seemed pretty low.

Page 5 has the final drivers and crossover design on it. It was only boasting a 86db sensitivity which seemed pretty low.

You are not gonna get 86 dB unless you build it into a wall,
so it radiates into half space. Subtract the needed baffle step
from the TS parameters estimate and you are going to get
the sensitivity in free space. 82-83 dB.

If I were you I would not care that much about sensitivity.
Sound quality is much more satisfying as a goal.

You are not gonna get 86 dB unless you build it into a wall,
so it radiates into half space. Subtract the needed baffle step
from the TS parameters estimate and you are going to get
the sensitivity in free space. 82-83 dB.
I'm pretty sure the crossover accounts for BSC already. Im obsessed with this idea for sensitivity because not only will these be used for music, but they will also be the left and right channel for my home theater (if you can call it a theater).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.