• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

No - it's a DAC configuration.

I was referring to the cronus clocks that might be damaged - but the DAC clock as well.
I'm guessing that I'd need a new firmware chip for a DPLL change?

Fortunately, upon replacement of L3 ferrite beads, all is back to the previous excellent performance [emoji41].

OK, no more synchronous BII talk from me in this thread. [emoji56]

Hi Russ,
What kind of playback software can support the Hermes-BBB/Cronus cape for BeagleBone Black and how about any remote control client sofeware I can use to navigate my music library currently sitting on a NAS ? Can squeezelite be installed or already included in the Botic software ?

Thanks

Hi Russ,
What kind of playback software can support the Hermes-BBB/Cronus cape for BeagleBone Black and how about any remote control client sofeware I can use to navigate my music library currently sitting on a NAS ? Can squeezelite be installed or already included in the Botic software ?

Thanks

Botic comes with ympd and you can use any mpd app on your phone for remote control, but you can build a Squeezelite version by following the instructions here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XQ8PNl3o7iERYWH1Wt_YRdkAPoOSF2fu3Sz4zzmaURM/edit#heading=h.pb0sutxuyej0

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is there any interest in a Cronus/B3 to Teleporter adapter?

You would use one at the Cronus with a teleporter connected to J2, and another connected to a B3 with teleporter connected to J3. In this situation the Cronus powers it's teleporter - and the B3 powers it's teleporter (both with 5V)

For those not using B3 you would just use the one at the cronus and then just direct wire the teleporter to the DAC.

The adapter is wired to transmit MCK, DCK, D1, D2 from cronus.

Hey Russ -- any chance that you'll produce a run of these Teleporter adapter boards? I'm definitely interested in one for my setup where I'll be running Cronus -> Teleporter -> I2S via HDMI.

I'd guess there's no disadvantage to powering the Teleporter from Cronus vs it's own dedicated regulator? And there's probably an advantage of doing a direct board connection from Cronus to Teleporter.

SDIF connection, revisited

Hi there,

Besides B3 and B3SE, I’m an avid user of Stereo 192 DSD Dac from Mytek. The mastering version of this Dac has DSD inputs for SDIF signals (BNC) on the rear panel and I’ve already confirmed there was no problem with SDIF (both of SDIF-raw and SDIF-3) connection to it from BBB with Botic drivers as posted before.

This time, I set up the same SDIF connection of DSD128 sources to the Mytek via the Cronus board taking an advantage of ready-to-use uFl housing which can provide easy SMA-BNC conversion of D1 to DSDL (left) and D2 to DSDR (right) as shown in the first figure.

The word clock was obtained from DCK by a pair of clock dividers (ICS542 from IDT) with 5V/3.3V conversion from the VD on the board as shown in the figures. The result was quite satisfactory and I could enjoy the stable sound of DSD128 under rock-solid locking of signals.

This may be a rather anomalous use of Hermes/Cronus boards but I’m quite happy with the results. Any comments, particularly on the possibility of uFl-BNC impedance mismatch or selection of WCK sources (MCK or BCK?) will be appreciated.

Attachments

• sdif.jpg
    sdif.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 837
  • bck.jpg
    bck.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 830
  • wclk.jpg
    wclk.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 818

This time, I set up the same SDIF connection of DSD128 sources to the Mytek via the Cronus board taking an advantage of ready-to-use uFl housing which can provide easy SMA-BNC conversion of D1 to DSDL (left) and D2 to DSDR (right) as shown in the first figure.

Excellent! I am very glad it suited your purposes nicely.

As to impedance - they should be close enough as to not create any significant issues at all. Your scope shots look great!

No you don't have to! (and you probably should not if you are asking the question) You only ever would if you want to use an external clock (which is not always the best). I would strongly urge you not to with your B3 - at least to start. If you have a B3SE is is simpler to use the external clock but my advice would still be the same until you have a strong degree of confidence.
So to connect BIIISE to Cronus we just use headers, we dont remove XO Trident, we dont remove BIIISE clock. Is that correct? In case of Dual Mono BIIISE what is the connection strategy?

You must always remove the XO trident if you use an external clock. You don't do anything with the XO itself - leave it alone.

For dual mono with B3 or B3SE I would suggestion async mode (just leave Buf configured normally with XO trident) - but if you go synch you need to route the master clock to both DACs.

In any case for dual mono you just route all signals (except MCK if going async) to both DACs.

Last edited: