• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Cosmos APU a notch+LNA $70 to outperform APx555b for $30000

hi,

would it be possible to add "feature" to upcoming ADC? --> possibility to link two (or more) ADCs to sync them/ via MCLK (?
opt.A with external MCLK generator
apt.B connecting two boards with single wire for syncing (much easier from user perspective)

it would allow users option for using two or three measurement microphones and phase tracking (from DAC). i know REW can do acoustic timing, but this might expand funcionality a bit
W10 is in trouble when >1 device with the same VID/PID is connected. Maybe the driver is the problem, I have no idea but 2 ADC works so slooow..
Technically, W10 may use 2 different IDs and keep working the normal way but it doesn't. Maybe Linux of Mac is no problem, anyone tried that?

W10 is in trouble when >1 device with the same VID/PID is connected. Maybe the driver is the problem, I have no idea but 2 ADC works so slooow..
Technically, W10 may use 2 different IDs and keep working the normal way but it doesn't. Maybe Linux of Mac is no problem, anyone tried that?

for speaker measurments no need for sample rate higher than 96kHz (at least i think so :) ) so maybe it won't be that slow / bad?
what about any kind of sync between two devicew -> is it possible to include it at design stage :) ?

Hi IVX,

I have something else to ask you about my APU unit what I bought few weeks ago (via Linsoul). Just now I realised that my faceplate is different than on the web - switch for phantom power is labelled "LPF" and gain is "40/60 dB" (should be 34/60 dB).

What we can do with that...

Martin

Attachments

• Faceplate.png
    Faceplate.png
    152 KB · Views: 73
Dear @IVX ,

Huge respect for your Cosmos products. I am currently exploring how I can leverage Cosmos APU+ADC for the purpose of field/film sound recordings (where low noise characteristics are paramount), using high quality condenser microphones. In that context, I fully agree with @Paul Ebert that having the second preamp channel (instead of the notch) in the APU would be highly beneficial for people like me. I am also curious if the future iterations of APU might make the device more idiot-proof (i.e. prevent damage caused by wrong switch on/off of the 48V phantom power), since people in the film-making industry are less on the technical side of things. In general, do you see the Cosmos devices serving my use-case even if not originally designed to do that?

Thanks and all the best.

Vpp, I understand that it is opposite to my commercial interest but I have to say the lowest noise mic has perhaps hundreds of times higher noise than any decent ADC/interface. IMO, You simply don't need Cosmos ADC or APU. The same thing regarding vinyl records, the coolest ADC maybe is the reason for boasting but practically any interface is enough.

Reactions: 1 user
@IVX, Appreciate the quick and honest feedback! In case, at some point, I manage to perform a real-life comparison between Cosmos APU+ADC and a common field sound recorder like Zoom/Tascam (and especially if I sense a difference), I will let you know. Warmest regards.

Reactions: 1 user
Vpp, I understand that it is opposite to my commercial interest but I have to say the lowest noise mic has perhaps hundreds of times higher noise than any decent ADC/interface. IMO, You simply don't need Cosmos ADC or APU. The same thing regarding vinyl records, the coolest ADC maybe is the reason for boasting but practically any interface is enough.
A very basic question that I guess I never really thought through. Is distortion and noise in a chain of audio components cumulative or does the worst contributor mask the others?

As to need, when was this hobby ever rational? :) I'm never going to spend $2000 on a phono pre-amp, though people do. But if I can get superb performance for a few hundred dollars more than just any interface, I am quite interested.

Hi IVX,

after my new APU panel installation I had some time to test my APU unit with Victor oscillator but I have got results what are not expected - the H3 is too high.
My setup is: Vic osc balanced 5,5 Vrms > Cosmos APU (1kHz notch 0dB) > Cosmos ADC

H3 has to be around -120 dB without SW compensation and -150 dB with. With my APU unit H3 is 10 dB higher!

It seems that my APU unit is made with fake MELF 0207 resistors what you have been wrighting about here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...perform-apx555b-for-30000.386001/post-7020664

Thank you for your answer,

Martin

Attachments

• apu_comp_notch.png
    apu_comp_notch.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 101
  • apu_no_comp_notch.png
    apu_no_comp_notch.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 98