Converting an old Peavey Bass Amp into a D class amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... i was thinking in a way to replace the 400BH power amplifier of this baby and put a D class amp board and integrate all in the bass head chassis.

Hi Julian,
of course, this is easy to do. )If you like I can answer in Spanish also).

Actually I am doing something similar at this moment.
Not considering the arguments down this thread, it is quite easy and the total cost would be about 150 USD for the components.
You can use the complete input processing (EQ etc.) and just remove the power supply and the power amp.
The most compĺex issue is to provide good cooling (fan and air channels) for the baby.
Tell me if you need more info or if you already managed to finish your project!

easy to do,

but you need reliable good quality Class D Design or assembled PCB

you will find a lot of commercial rubbish to buy in Internet.

People who can design reliable high quaöity Class D dont share information

or

offer schematic but no pcb.

Last edited:
Really... the knowledgable people do not share.... if there are any ;-)

Hi NMOS:

>but you need reliable good quality Class D Design or assembled PCB<
>you will find a lot of commercial rubbish to buy in Internet.<

Indeed, but if you buy a "1200W-RMS" unit you can most certainly rely o it's data at 600W ;-)
And most units can be (have to be ;-) pimped a little bit, mainly with supply and output filters, better cooling and a better overheat protection. I am having a 300W solution for a Peavey Tour 115 TNT combo in durability test at 250W two-tone CW operation and right now it is running two weeks heating my basement ;-) The parts I bought (Class D amp + powers supply) are rated 500W and cost 80 EUR incl. shipping. Some additional parts from my electronics shack and thing are working well.

Weakest issue are the available switch mode power supplies but there applies the same thing.

>People who can design reliable high quality Class D dont share information or offer schematic but no pcb.<

I had no problem to get schematic + layout + placement for my Peavey tour 115 TNT from the manufacturer.
For a CARVIN BX 500 I have in repair, I got schematics and do not neer the schematic yet because the placement print if very clear and logical.

About people with knowledge there are different issues: Not many people understand Class D + switching power supply. Even less can repair them. Still less should repair them (more safety issues). Generally you bring an Amp to the repair shop and they tell you "oh, there are proprietary components of the manufacturer inside si I cannot repair it"..... original answers my clients tell me they got. An it is just not true. Of course the repair strategy is quite different to the old 2N3055 work horses where the most modern part was a toroid transformer....

I am developing 7kW switching units from 800V with SiCMOS transistors, so 1kW Audio is still "peanuts" ;-)

Anyway...besides the photoshopping performance of Julian https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...y-bass-amp-class-amplifier-mark-iv-reborn-jpg

I would love to know how far he could get and what is his technical background. At least he is brave.

Independently I doubt - like others here - the requirement of 1kW audio in whatever case for an amp head. Julian wants to boost from 300W to 600W......this is 3dB. A lot of work for an almost inaudible difference!

He rather uses the FX output and connects another cheapo 300W amp block + additional speaker cabinet. -> More flexibility!

I am new here and start to like the forum...seems there are meny people around talking "tecnical" and "sound" not "music" = philosophic ;-)

Regards
Michael

Hi NMOS:

>but you need reliable good quality Class D Design or assembled PCB<
>you will find a lot of commercial rubbish to buy in Internet.<

Indeed, but if you buy a "1200W-RMS" unit you can most certainly rely o it's data at 600W ;-)
And most units can be (have to be ;-) pimped a little bit, mainly with supply and output filters, better cooling and a better overheat protection. I am having a 300W solution for a Peavey Tour 115 TNT combo in durability test at 250W two-tone CW operation and right now it is running two weeks heating my basement ;-) The parts I bought (Class D amp + powers supply) are rated 500W and cost 80 EUR incl. shipping. Some additional parts from my electronics shack and thing are working well.

Weakest issue are the available switch mode power supplies but there applies the same thing.

>People who can design reliable high quality Class D dont share information or offer schematic but no pcb.<

I had no problem to get schematic + layout + placement for my Peavey tour 115 TNT from the manufacturer.
For a CARVIN BX 500 I have in repair, I got schematics and do not neer the schematic yet because the placement print if very clear and logical.

About people with knowledge there are different issues: Not many people understand Class D + switching power supply. Even less can repair them. Still less should repair them (more safety issues). Generally you bring an Amp to the repair shop and they tell you "oh, there are proprietary components of the manufacturer inside si I cannot repair it"..... original answers my clients tell me they got. An it is just not true. Of course the repair strategy is quite different to the old 2N3055 work horses where the most modern part was a toroid transformer....

I am developing 7kW switching units from 800V with SiCMOS transistors, so 1kW Audio is still "peanuts" ;-)

Anyway...besides the photoshopping performance of Julian https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...y-bass-amp-class-amplifier-mark-iv-reborn-jpg

I would love to know how far he could get and what is his technical background. At least he is brave.

Independently I doubt - like others here - the requirement of 1kW audio in whatever case for an amp head. Julian wants to boost from 300W to 600W......this is 3dB. A lot of work for an almost inaudible difference!

He rather uses the FX output and connects another cheapo 300W amp block + additional speaker cabinet. -> More flexibility!

I am new here and start to like the forum...seems there are meny people around talking "tecnical" and "sound" not "music" = philosophic ;-)

Regards
Michael

Yes but most of defective Class D,...a repair shop cant fix

service manual not available

parts not available

I have design Class D PCB 2500W 4 Ohm PCB

+/- 140 V DC - 75VAC / 21A output

It took 4 weeks time to finished while Covid-19 curfew and lockdown

had nothing to do all day because of the curfew

another one fullbridged have 98V AC / 22A Output

I thinks its enough power to test with the dance crowd after music venues will reopen

Im working alsa as Dj and love Dance music

Clarity in Mid / Highs and strong bass/subbass power on the dancefloor

is No.1 for Happy crowd

Service manual???

Hi NMOS:
What Amp can't you get a schematic of?
Indeed the class D amps are more complex, but not from the amp function, just a lot of protection (voltage, DC at output, themal) circuits.

I don't now any class D amp where
- you can get a schematic if you kindly ask
- you find manufacturer side custom oparts except the CMC and other inductive components, but the almoste never damage
They are all based on widely available IC, the final switches are always MOSFET, IGBT or SiCMOS, depending on the supply voltage.
And - similar as in analog amps - almost always the reason for breakdown and the affected components are identical.
But now service personell has to know about capacitor ripple current, snubber networks, common mode noise, swicth losses etc. And this will take a generation ;-)
I am an old timer from the NE555 generation (and there are still amps with NE555 driven reverb o the market ;-) but constantly learning.

I compare the step to class-C amps with some experience I made Mexico:

While the VW Beetle/Käfer production in Germany stopped in 1974, VM Mexico buit it untill 2003. In every supermarket you could buy the most common spare parts. If a Beetle broke down in a small, remote village, walk two blocks and you find someone to repair it.
Similar situation with old-fashioned, good-but-heavy analog amps. Have a look beyond the hood of a 2020 car and nothing but electronics.

>I have design Class D PCB 2500W 4 Ohm PCB<

Does that mean, YOU HAVE DESIGNED IT?
Wow! Chapeau!
I even would no be able to test it: I would need a chiller for my humble 300W C.W. dummy load!
Normally I am doing a run-in test with 100% dual-tone CW and if I plan to build more than one, even accelerated lifetime tests!

>+/- 140 V DC - 75VAC / 21A output<

Hmmm... I am sure you know what you are doing, but in my experience it is not possible to the the safety release in terms of VDE 0100-410 (and others) to supply noise to a " dance crowd"... Because a design with double failure redundance is hard to provide!

In one case I could still -with some test results- argue about a +/-65V system, but I would not even try with 140V.
o of VDE 0100-410 (and others) to supply noise to a " dance
Indeed this safety issue is the reason to decrease impedances to 2 Ohms and even lower!

Of course.... if you plan to go serial production with a safe design, test and certification, then forget what I sayed ;-)

Regards
Michael

PD.: If you use SMP supply, never (!) forget to make a 1kV Isolation test before plugging the AC connector into the outlet, until the unit is well tested and you will not reopen the cabinet!
PD2.: Learn well about X and Y capacitors and their requirements. Get approval from their manufacturer to use them in YOUR application!

Its only for Fun because Im love music and working also as DJ

I start > DIY 10 years ago and learning the secrets of amplifier design

In my previous Job as Sales manager in Pro Audio sales company I was unhappy and get angry about many failures of new amplifiers in the guarantee period.

Class D often SMPS broken or in Class D Modul mosfets failed in short time after sales

Whats that for poor quality ?

From 1988 to 2000 in my favorite dance music club, old BGW 750Bs Class AB manufactures 1978

dont have any problems with failures or heat and the amps were almost in the clip every weekend after midnight until early morning. the amps did not need any limiters or compressors to be protected, on the contrary, there was even a dynamic expander built in the PA.

A lot of imported Class AB / H amplifiers from different manufacturers had problems with long-term durability.

Imported Class D amplifiers on the oscilloscope were a technical nightmare, what you could see, the main thing was that the sale was correct and in the event of failures, the customer was always to blame for the guarantee period. As a DIY hobbyist, I would be ashamed to produce Class D amplifiers with such lousy technical quality

Hi NMOS:
What Amp can't you get a schematic of?
Indeed the class D amps are more complex, but not from the amp function, just a lot of protection (voltage, DC at output, themal) circuits.

>I have design Class D PCB 2500W 4 Ohm PCB<

Does that mean, YOU HAVE DESIGNED IT?
Wow! Chapeau!
I even would no be able to test it: I would need a chiller for my humble 300W C.W. dummy load!

>+/- 140 V DC - 75VAC / 21A output<

Hmmm... I am sure you know what you are doing, but in my experience it is not possible to the the safety release in terms of VDE 0100-410 (and others) to supply noise to a " dance crowd"... Because a design with double failure redundance is hard to provide!

Regards
Michael

PD.: If you use SMP supply, never (!) forget to make a 1kV Isolation test before plugging the AC connector into the outlet, until the unit is well tested and you will not reopen the cabinet!
PD2.: Learn well about X and Y capacitors and their requirements. Get approval from their manufacturer to use them in YOUR application!

Schematic is not from me, but the engineer share it with DIY Hobbyist to learn Class D

I have Design PCB, its a nightmare for Class d, amp can work from 40 V to 140 Rail +/- V DC

Excellent results for High End Hi-Fi 200 -300 Watt possible with Mosfet IPP320N20N3G

then GaN is next chapter

SMPS mit PFC 5,5 KW is available

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.