Convert my blown GK bass head to donor preamp?

I don't have that schematic file, and it is not listed on my dealer portal, but an email to customerservice@peavey.com should get it to you. The typical file includes schematic, parts layout drawing, and often a parts list. I do have the older (plain old) Monitor drawings, but that is a different amp.

It looks to me like your controls are the Peavey "spider" pots. They mount up on legs and the shaft is perpendicular to the board. Yes? Look on the broken pot, what are ALL the numbers printed on the body? They almost always print the part number there. Their number will have the FORMAT of 71190500 (I made that number up.) Some have the entire number, SOme just say 90500, and some even say #500. WHen they moved things to CHina the numbers changed so they now start with 311.

Looks indeed like a stereo pot. But unlike the typical pc mounted controls, the legs on these pots face out the sides, so they won't touch the board.

You have to order parts from Peavey by phone, but you can email parts@peavey.com to ask if they have something or to get more information. The customer service people can also help with questions. PV is great about keeping older parts, but this is over 25 years old, so it would just be a matter of luck.

Here is a link to a picture of a spider pot, it is a single. Yours is a dual and would have three more legs opposite the three on this.
Potentiometer - Peavey, Linear, Spider | Antique Electronic Supply

Tell us and/or show us photos of your broken part.

And I looked in my stock lists and I have no dual spider pots left, other than one concentric.

You got a killer sounding,VERY SOLID power amp,with an EQ thrown in for free, congratulations.

Wait untilEnzo chimes in, he´s the go-to man for Peavey stuff (and any other MI gear of course), but I guess he´ll recommend *phoning* Peavey, the best "let´s take care of our customers" company in the world.
Hee´ll suggest a direct phone line.

They will not only send you the original schematic (which I pray you share here afterwards, to help others) but also sell you the pot, if still in stock.

If not, you can mount there a regular stereo pot , same values, but rotated 180 degrees so pins do NOT face PCB (which it won´t match anyway) and use short wires to join pins and matching holes.

Hope no tracks or pads were damaged by the impact, which is also re pairable, of course.

Pity you show *everything but* the damaged pot :rolleyes:Please do.

Absolute worst case you jump the Bass Low cut circuit and even the EQ and go straight to the power amp, but guess that won´t be needed.

I don't have that schematic file, and it is not listed on my dealer portal, but an email to customerservice@peavey.com should get it to you. The typical file includes schematic, parts layout drawing, and often a parts list. I do have the older (plain old) Monitor drawings, but that is a different amp.

It looks to me like your controls are the Peavey "spider" pots. They mount up on legs and the shaft is perpendicular to the board. Yes? Look on the broken pot, what are ALL the numbers printed on the body? They almost always print the part number there. Their number will have the FORMAT of 71190500 (I made that number up.) Some have the entire number, SOme just say 90500, and some even say #500. WHen they moved things to CHina the numbers changed so they now start with 311.

Looks indeed like a stereo pot. But unlike the typical pc mounted controls, the legs on these pots face out the sides, so they won't touch the board.

You have to order parts from Peavey by phone, but you can email parts@peavey.com to ask if they have something or to get more information. The customer service people can also help with questions. PV is great about keeping older parts, but this is over 25 years old, so it would just be a matter of luck.

Here is a link to a picture of a spider pot, it is a single. Yours is a dual and would have three more legs opposite the three on this.
Potentiometer - Peavey, Linear, Spider | Antique Electronic Supply

Tell us and/or show us photos of your broken part.

And I looked in my stock lists and I have no dual spider pots left, other than one concentric.

Thank you so much, I will definitely reach out to Peavey. It does sound surprisingly good! I got a pile of Peavey PA gear for peanuts - one of which is a 16 channel mixer with no less than 140 of those spider pots, but alas not one of them stereo six pin -- all four pin exactly like the one you linked to.
As a side note, I'm going to part that out and cannibalize it - interestingly it has some op-amps that people use to mod some Ibanez distortion pedal - go figure - so it will donate its organs to science.

I actually would just bypass and bridge over the low-cut in this monitor amp, but I will wait for the schematic from Peavey. I don't understand that thing about it passing signal and then distorting and fading out when I bridge for example the center lead on the left (looking from the front of the amp) to one of the leads on the right. The pot has a number 90324 100k 20CX2. Made by ALPS. It didn't look like that from the fall, I pulled it apart not realizing it was a hard to find pot.

20200727-165750.jpg

Only 'downside' of the amp is that it is in a huge box, it can actually almost swallow the Gallien-Krueger in one bite lmao :D. The plan is still to use the GK as the preamp and this as the power amp -- looks like a very similar power amp but much larger transformer. But I'm going to build a smaller, lighter enclosure, along the lines of those metal mesh heads.

The graphic EQ is such an 80s Peavey thing. It could be useful if I use the preamp - the whole reason I'm using the GK is because it has a mid-cut switch and hi boost, and three way eq, so you can really send that awful 500-700hz junk 30db down the elevator to hell.

20200727-155633-1.jpg

20200727-155722-1.jpg

Yes, I figured it was oscillating. Not sure which component is going out for certain. I replaced all the capacitors and the output transistors. I figured it would be less expensive to just go with the class D conversion. Not sure at this point. It cooks that 22 ohm resistor rather well. I couldn’t obtain the correct schematic from GK for the board revision. They didn’t even mark the components on the board either.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about that. I was curious to see this project when it’s completed.

I have the 60039 board version. I think it may be a cap gone bad on my unit. Going to replace the remaining transistors and caps to rebuild the entire unit.

Didn’t mean to steal the thread. I was contemplating on the ICE amp class D swap.

Interesting project. I have the GK 200RG head. I have an issue with the power amp board that keeps toasting the 22 ohm resistor. I may have to re-purpose mine using the ICE board and convert it to a bass amp. Keep us posted on the progress and how it sounds.

Thanks for the reply. I agree you have a similar issue with your GK so it's worth piggybacking on this thread.

I think your 200RG has the same power amp board as mine, or a version of it. I'm attaching that schematic.

I did the same replacement to the output transformers and filter caps, with no joy. The power amp is so basic that it makes sense to retain the preamp and replace the power amp with something else, and keep your GK sound.

I got that Peavey head that I got for free working again by jumping the broken pot, by just staring at it and figuring it out. I will break even with 150 watts into 4 ohms. Peavey has not responded with the schematic - probably shortstaffed because of the pandemic. I think the Peavey has exactly the same +15v/-15v to the preamp board that the GK uses (as discussed earlier) so I think this is going to be pretty much plug-and-play.

Attachments

• 200RB Power Amp (3).pdf
    432.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
The happy ending to this conversion: the Pallien Kruegey

Pallien-Kruegey-2.jpg

In the end, this DIY did not involve any electronics at all, really. Peavey didn't get back to me with a schematic and I just checked the output of the 300 Series Monitor head, and it was sending the exact same 15v as the GK. I just figured out what was what and stripped the Peavey leads and plugged them into the GK.

20200801-164600.jpg

The amp looks kind of funky; gained a lot of weight and got a spiky haircut, so it looks like Guy Fieri I guess. :D Sounds fantastic. Just like the GK, but the Peavey power amp is dead quiet. Solid state amps really sound different from one another, and the GK sounds sharp but not clacky, and warm on the bottom, and has this tremendously extreme EQ that gets me what I want.

Had a sentimental attachment to the GK, which I bought in SF 25 years ago for $40, and I like the sound for bass. But now I'm using it for guitar in a quasi solid-state "super reverb," in the sense that it has enormous bottom through a good 210 bass cab.

I play a strat clean with reverb and an obnoxious amount of low end. The amp is using much more power to move low frequencies than a 90w guitar amp typically would. If I can get a cheap 12ax7 preamp for those glassy tones, I may be done fussing about guitar amps.

Many thanks to the thread contributors for inspiration and explication. Didn't turn out to be a modern class D thing, but instead an 'upcycle' of an old amp. This whole thing is sort of bolted together a bit wonky, but I'm not about to embark on the Monsters of Rock tour, so it just has to sit there on my cab and work. Couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited:
Update question to this old thread.

I obtained an old Crown PowerBase 2 power amp. Looking at the schematic, there is a +15/-15 volt at a couple places on the board. Would it be reasonable to run leads from this to my GK amp preamp section (which requires the +15/-15v)?

Schematic for the Crown attached.

Attachments

• PB2-Schematic-pb2_schematic_j0446-5_a.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 60