Controlled vs wide dispersion in a normal living room environment..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What we all need to remember is that there is no Holy Grail in producing the perfect sound reproducing device with perfect polar response in both the vertical and horizontal planes simultaneously. As the graph that Markus put up shows real world response anomalies for the so called CBT design we can show the same for a BR enclosures, or a OB enclosure, or cardioid, or any other implementation. I am sick of hearing the term CD as far as any Conic horn lens goes also, these are all marketing terms, none of them are so when looked at critically. There are no CD horn lenses in any form, none, just as the CBT is not constant beam-width. Just as you would question every single capacitors specification, or opamp, or electrical topology you have to look with the same jaundiced eye at all the claims that are made for every type of loudspeaker. When you find the Holy Grail of perfect loudspeaker polar response give me a call, I'll sell you a bridge to nowhere. All you can really do is chose what makes you happy and satisfies as best as you can find your own personal tastes. But stop trying to sell any one implementation as perfect or even close. That is really what makes this whole musical trip so incredibly interesting after 100 years. We are all still looking for what works best and the quest goes on.

I could not disagree with you more. And I would suggest that if "it sounds good to me" is your bottom line, then you are in the wrong thread - or I am. How something sounds to any given individual is not only irrelavent, but pointless. We are talking about the science of reproduction here based on well founded principles and psycho-acoustic research. We are not talking about handbags here and preference is not the point. (Well it is to some of course, but most of the interesting discussion here involves perception, not preference.)

No, there is no "Holy Grail of perfect loudspeaker polar response", but there certainly is "better" and "worse". The lack of "perfection" is no justification to stop seeking it.

Here is a typical preference thread:

"I like this ...."

"Well I like this ..."

"Oh, I love that too ..."

"But I like this ..."

"JC likes this ..."

"JC really knows his stuff ..."

And on and on. Thanks but I'll stay out of that kind of thread.

Last edited:
(showing low midrange does affect imaging)

Of course low midrange affects imaging in a small room. But it will become obvious only for those blessed souls who have done extensive listening experiments in a small room with high directivity sources like dipole line arrays, like me.

Almost for the last 10 years I've had dipole line arrays (below about 1kHz) and as well and dipoles and monopoles side-by-side in my small room, and the result is clear.

Below about 1 kHz in a small room (i.e. a living room) the imaging with monopoles is poor, dipole are better but dipole line arrays are best.

Below 500 Hz the difference gets even bigger.

This follows directly from the directivity pattern of the speakers below 1 kHz.

It is not a question whether it is practical to use high directivity sources below 1 kHz, but it is the way it is in terms of performance.

- Elias

Yes; the first experiment of Bech, which simulated the pure cardioid source, suggested the contralateral reflection may cause colouration (but not the ipsilateral reflection, which is interesting). The second experiment, with a more typical 2-way KEF speaker and a slightly more realistic room simulation, did not find this. It may wel depend on the situation.

Yes interesting ;)

The ideal cardioid source is a nature of constant directivity, while the KEF is less so. Thus the results suggest it would be a bad idea to use CD speakers toed in in front of the listener as this causes coloration due to strong contralateral reflection. The optimum would be very opposite from what some people are using :D

- Elias

Yes interesting ;)

The ideal cardioid source is a nature of constant directivity, while the KEF is less so. Thus the results suggest it would be a bad idea to use CD speakers toed in in front of the listener as this causes coloration due to strong contralateral reflection. The optimum would be very opposite from what some people are using :D

- Elias

The KEF is also probably more directional at mid/high frequencies. Crossing a fairly directional speaker (dipole, cardioid) has not worked for me. In that situation the contralateral reflection is pretty strong while other reflections are mostly absent.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And I have measured the bounce off of the front wall - it has more HF content than I expected.
Me too - with an AKG shotgun mic. Also more HF content than I expected. In my case it was all down pretty low, but a decent mirror of the direct sound.

Which got me to wondering: If one wanted to measure the sound at the front wall, what would be a good approach? You could put a PZM mic right there to see what's hitting the wall. Or another type of mic very close. But what might be a good way to compare it to the direct sound? Maybe normalize it to the 1M response on axis?

What do you think? Is there any standard for this?

Gedlee,
Not taking offense to your comment to me I will add to what you are saying. Back to science here then. I love when I read simulating a cardioid or such nonsense. Is it cardioid or isn't it, how are we simulating something to test that isn't what we are testing? What I should really be saying is that to me anyway, unless the test is specific, an exact speaker implementation with exacting knowledge of that device the test is flawed. Going to science I don't like and have been taught not to make to broad of a generality. No two waveguides made by two different methods will have the exact same polar response, so I would have to know exactly what that one device was doing to see the real effects to a specific test. I can no more test one of your elliptical waveguides and say that a JBL or EV horn will give me the same results in the same room. Same for a pair of direct radiators from two different manufacturers or any other implementation. There are to many variables going on here. Change one variable at a rime and I will be able to make sense of the changes and see the resultant. But to willy nilly say that all speakers in a class perform the same just aint so. So all we are speaking here is in generalities it seems.

Gedlee,I love when I read simulating a cardioid or such nonsense. Is it cardioid or isn't it, how are we simulating something to test that isn't what we are testing? What I should really be saying is that to me anyway, unless the test is specific, an exact speaker implementation with exacting knowledge of that device the test is flawed. Going to science I don't like and have been taught not to make to broad of a generality.

You clearly haven't read Bech's papers, have you? His experiment was very well prepared and executed. Please read them and then return with your comments, but don't comment on something you have not read.

Gedlee,
Not taking offense to your comment to me I will add to what you are saying. Back to science here then. I love when I read simulating a cardioid or such nonsense. Is it cardioid or isn't it, how are we simulating something to test that isn't what we are testing? What I should really be saying is that to me anyway, unless the test is specific, an exact speaker implementation with exacting knowledge of that device the test is flawed. Going to science I don't like and have been taught not to make to broad of a generality. No two waveguides made by two different methods will have the exact same polar response, so I would have to know exactly what that one device was doing to see the real effects to a specific test. I can no more test one of your elliptical waveguides and say that a JBL or EV horn will give me the same results in the same room. Same for a pair of direct radiators from two different manufacturers or any other implementation. There are to many variables going on here. Change one variable at a rime and I will be able to make sense of the changes and see the resultant. But to willy nilly say that all speakers in a class perform the same just aint so. So all we are speaking here is in generalities it seems.

There are simulations and then there is reality. They are never the same, but then no one doing simulations should expect them to be. Simulations get us "in-the-ballpark" and this saves a lot of time over "cut-and-try". The better the simulation the more time is saved. I have spent my life doing this and I know that sims are never perfect, but then tests are never perfect either.

"Perfection is the enemy of good" - something every engineer needs to understand.

Your previous post sounded a lot like "Speakers can't ever be perfect so why try?", which I have heard way too often. I don't buy that argument. Perfection is the unobtainable, but there certainly is "better" and "best", and it makes no sense to run away from this reality. One CAN define "better" and "best" subjectively, but if you have been in this business as long as I have you will realize that defined subjectively there really isn't an answer - its not a stable factor. Its different for everyone. But defining them in some quantitative manner and we CAN get to "better" and "best". It actually becomes possible to get somewhere and not just go around in circles.

One CAN define "better" and "best" subjectively, but if you have been in this business as long as I have you will realize that defined subjectively there really isn't an answer - its not a stable factor. Its different for everyone. But defining them in some quantitative manner and we CAN get to "better" and "best". It actually becomes possible to get somewhere and not just go around in circles.

Unfortunately this is what we're (still) doing, going round in circles, because there isn't any meaningful standard from which "better" and "best" could be derived from. It's not enough if one manufacturer says "I am the standard" - or maybe it is :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is what we're (still) doing, going round in circles, because there isn't any meaningful standard from which "better" and "best" could be derived from. It's not enough if one manufacturer says "I am the standard".

NO: "I AM THE Standard.":)

This is a good point. It might be good to review the aspects of this discussion that are clearly defined and supported by data and those that are not. For example, I don't think that anyone would disgree that "it would be better if the floor and ceiling reflections were surpressed", Hence "best" would be that design which does this. Of course there are many other factors and they have to be weighted in subjective importance, but this is not impossible. I have my rankings and I try and justify those based on solid principles (although not everyone agrees). So I have no trouble with "better" and "best".

Where I come loose is adding the "if it sounds good it is good" factor. Because, as you know, this has no meaning and never can.

In rereading the Bech paper it became apparent that his results are room specific. In other words the floor and ceiling were the most audible in that room. His room had very high wall absorption and very low floor and ceiling absorption - the exact opposite of what I do and recommend. This makes it difficult to apply his results. What is clear in the paper is how the image shift has much lower jnd than the coloration. It is image that I am most concerned with, I suppose since it is more sensitive to the speaker and room design than just timbre. Once coloration has been solved, imaging becomes the key aspect.

Gedlee and Tewinkel,
Now I think we are more on the same page going forward. Tewinkel I have the papers and will print them to read the whole experiment. At the same time I think that we can say that the results that Bech's analysis elucidated are room specific to his experiments. What most of us seem to believe, perhaps speaking out of place here, is that the ceiling and floor reflections do have a measurable and sometimes deleterious effect on the imaging of the sound field just as the side wall reflections do also. How we weight those contributions is something that I have not studied so can not make a judgement call. At the same time I think that we should make certain judgements based on as much fact as possible. Pick a particular loudspeaker implementation in each category such as horn loaded, dipole and such and use that particular device as a baseline for comparison reasons only. Let's say we use Earl's waveguides as the base for that as he would know the polar response of the devices in question and pick a known dipole and do the same. Then we can scientifically speak of the changes made. Each reference type would remain the same throughout the discussion, that takes the I like my sound better statements out of the discussion. We need standards to do this kind of work or it is just a discussion of opinions. We all know what the best sound is in a room, a live performance. Then it gets back to opinion again as one person like one performer and another likes someone else, and someone else say I like the Martin guitar better than a so and so guitar. We need to take some of the variation out of the equation to discuss this further. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Last edited:
Which research is this? Source please :)
Like I already said (do you guys read all the posts?) I don't know where it came from.
I did however find the interview, which is from 2004. And I was wrong. I thought the ceiling reflection was said to be the most detrimental and floor the second worst. It was the other way around. Anyway, here's Peter's own words:

I’ve done a lot of testing on the effects of reflections in rooms, and there was a big, big project in Denmark about twelve years ago, with a lot of companies involved in investigating effects of reflections in rooms. I had the pleasure of being a test person, where we could actually simulate the audible effect of the floor reflection, sidewall reflection, ceiling reflection, and so on independently. The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event. The second worse reflection is the ceiling reflection. Sidewall reflections, if they are sufficiently delayed (more than about five milliseconds) and are left/right symmetrical, can be actually beneficial to the sound. But if your speakers are very close to the sidewalls, you have to kill the side reflections. But do not be too concerned about the sidewall reflections. The floor reflection absolutely must be handled, followed by the ceiling reflection, either by absorption or diffusion.

Gedlee:
Do you have an impulse response or a ETC showing high gain reflections arriving directly from the front wall and absorbed afterwards with your speakers?

I would state that, in a typical situation, the reflections that would have highest priority reduce would be the floor, ceiling and front wall.

I think it is also likely that in some situations the ceiling may have a larger effect while in others the front wall may have a larger effect, depending on the room height, listening distance, speaker placement and speaker directivity.

Side wall reflections should be reduced if they are very early, < 5 ms (more or less), otherwise it may be a matter of preference (as Toole suggests).

I think this shows that the optimal solution will be different depending on the situation, especially if a listener wants image broadening etc. For example a speaker may have a preferred amount of early reflections and image broadening in one room, while it may have too much of it (and added colouration) in another (smaller) one.

If strong direct sound and thus weak side wall reflections are desired, for example for monitoring, the solution is probably fairly straightforward (and fairly directional both vertically and horizontally).

Omholt,
Wouldn't the ceiling reflection change significantly dependent on ceiling height and whether it is flat or sloped? We are only talking about a room with a fairly low ceiling and flat across the room from what I can gather.
Unless you are talking about unusual heigh ceiling, I would say no. A few milliseconds in arrival time of difference doesn't really change much.

Sloping ceiling. Depends on the height and how it slopes. In most cases I believe you will get same the amount of early reflections. I have treated a few rooms with sloping ceiling. Seemed to be the same to me.

I almost never see that frontwall needs to be treated for specular reflections. Not if the rear of the room is correctly treated. With dipoles, one would definetly need to though.

Like I already said (do you guys read all the posts?) I don't know where it came from.
I did however find the interview, which is from 2004?

thanks again Omholt! :D

The single most disturbing reflection in the room is the floor reflection. That is what makes the speaker sound like a radio and not like the actual event.
...... The floor reflection absolutely must be handled...

VERY well said! I cannot agree more!

The second worse reflection is the ceiling reflection. ... absolutely must be handled ... either by absorption or diffusion.

...or a floor coupled up-firing speaker? :)

ceiling reflection in case of such a speaker is very different from a ceiling reflection which Mr Lyngdorf considers second worst

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.