Connecting 2 x 3-way 6 Ohm speakers to an 8~16 Ohm Amplifier

Mystery speakers revealed!

You may use the Sony speakers with your Pioneer amplifier.

Thanks for checking and confirming this! That is good to know.:)

However, given that the Sony micro system was supplied with 8 ohm speakers, it may be no more happier driving your 6 ohm speakers than the Pioneer amp - which takes us back to square one! :eek:

I thought that would be the case.:(

You have not yet told us the make and model of your 6 ohm speakers. With that informationt we may be able to find their specifications and make a better judgement of their suitability for your intended purpose.

I did not really wanted to expose my entire home interior equipment here. But, after all this, adding the make and model of the 'mysterious' 6 Ohm speakers does not make much difference anymore.:D

And knowing more about the exact specifications and its usability on either device would be helpful. I not mind to risk damaging the Sony micro system by the way. After all, they will be without speakers for the time being.

Here you go;

JVC Dual Cannon Duct System

glosniki-jvc-spmxj77-dual-cannon-duct-system-warszawa-sprzedam-525406786.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, the specs don't help other than to state the speakers have an impedance of 6 ohm.

JVC MX-J585V : Compact Component System Instructions : Page 36

If you can borrow a multimeter, then measuring the DC resistance of the speakers would help us decide whether it safe to use them with your 8 ohm Pioneer amp.

Perhaps you have a friend who owns a multimeter and they, or we, can instruct you on how to use it?

some final questions

I prefer to assume that the speakers are 6 Ohm since that is what the manufacturer made them to be. I understand that there can be fluctuations based on the label and what they actually are in real use.

I do not want to get a multimeter to then basically check whether the manufacturer made an error. Good to know that accurate readings can be obtained with such device though. But that is too much DIY for me.

I have already decided to not use them with my 8 Ohm amplifier anyway. What I will do is hook them up to the Sony stereo and let you know the result.

There is still one question unanswered or at least not clear.

So if I were to connect 120 Watts speakers and then with a minimum of 8 Ohm, would the amplifier only be able to utilize 25~30 Watts from those speakers?:confused:

You said earlier; "The wattage of the speakers can be greater than that of the amp as they only consume the power that the amp delivers to them."

While that may answer the question, let's say that instead of 120 Watts speakers, I connect the exact same brand and amount of Ohms, but then in 60 Watts. Does it sound the same and will the amp still not consume the ~30 left-over Watts on each speaker?

Could a higher wattage of speakers potentially consume more electricity in regards to redundant Watts that the amp is unable to utilize due its 25~30 Watts limit?

Another interesting thing I saw on the amplifier is a little separate sticker on the inside that reads; FUI T800 mA / 250v

To what does that relate to?

Last edited:
So if I were to connect 120 Watts speakers and then with a minimum of 8 Ohm, would the amplifier only be able to utilize 25~30 Watts from those speakers?:confused:
The power flows from the amplifier to the speakers.

Perhaps a simple analogy will help you understand the relationship between speaker power and amplifier power.

Let's liken the speaker to a 250ml whisky glass and the amplifier to a 50ml whisky miniature bottle.

516HgiXgkbL.jpg

The 250ml glass is capable of containing five times as much whisky as the 50ml miniature bottle can deliver.

Similarly, 120W speakers are capable of handling four times as much power as a 30W amplifier can deliver.

To fill my glass, I would need a bigger bottle.

To get more power out of my speakers, I would need a more powerful amplifier.

I hope that analogy helps. It has certainly made me thirsty! :D

Resolved!

The power flows from the amplifier to the speakers.
I hope that analogy helps. It has certainly made me thirsty! :D

Great analogy Galu.:up: Thanks you very much for that!
Glad to have learned this, since I've always believed that the wattage that is labeled on a speaker is what you get out of them.

Now, back to my DIY of hooking of up those speakers. I have done this today and all went well.

I am now getting much better sound out of those little Sony speakers.:note:
The sound quality has improved so much, that I do not even consider getting larger speakers anymore. The main reason I would want them now is only for aesthetics.

I have also placed them higher up which makes them more centered. Which is great, since I am in an open area where there is an upstairs and downstairs. It now sounds great everywhere! :sing:

It is also definitely stereo.:hphones: Whereas before, I had them stacked on top of each other in a corner next to the Sony micro system. I never gave it any thought to change until recently.

I placed the JVC speakers next to the Sony speakers and they work flawlessly on the Sony micro system, with an obvious sound quality improvement as well, despite the Ohm discrepancy. I will remember to not play them too loud though.

I had the amplifier and the other speakers in a box for years. I regret not having done this any sooner.:dunno:

My issue is resolved and it is a great home improvement.

All there is left to say now is; Cheers :cheers:

Last edited: