Connecting 2 x 3-way 6 Ohm speakers to an 8~16 Ohm Amplifier

I did not think so...

I'm now thinking that, given your level of experience, you'd best stick to your two original speakers, which I assume are the required 8 ohms or higher.

I never mentioned to have speakers of 8 Ohms in the original post. I only mentioned it as example later on if I were to mix and match speakers. Of course I could get 2 8 Ohm speakers, but that is not needed now that I am going to place the 6 Ohm ones in serie mode.

Or, you could take the risk and connect the two 6 ohm speakers, one on each channel, and pray the amplifier doesn't snuff it! ;)

:idea:That is obviously not what I am going to do after all this back and forth.

Last edited:
I have never connected these specific speakers to the amplifier before.
Well, I read the above to mean you had previous speakers (8 ohm or higher) which worked OK with your amplifier, and which you now wanted to replace with 6 ohm speakers.

I am left wondering how you are going to get stereo with both 6 ohm speakers wired in series to one channel of the amp. :confused:

It would be interesting to know the make of your 6 ohm speakers.

Modern 6 ohm speakers tend to employ 4 ohm bass drivers, which would make them even more likely to damage your amplifier.

Good point!

If I cannot trust what the manufacturer places on these speakers, then it does not make it any easier indeed. However, if it were to be 4 Ohm instead of 6, then in series, I would still get the desired 8 Ohm, so that is fine.

I will do some more research on the specs of these speakers.

no stereo?

Well, I read the above to mean you had previous speakers (8 ohm or higher) which worked OK with your amplifier, and which you now wanted to replace with 6 ohm speakers.

That is a clever assumption and you are likely correct on that. I once had speakers connected to it and they were likely 8 Ohms or more. But back then I never paid any attention to those specs and just connected it.

I am left wondering how you are going to get stereo with both 6 ohm speakers wired in series to one channel of the amp. :confused:

I think there are two solutions for this:

1. Depending on which channel I connect the 1 serie to, I'd either have to set the Balance control to either the R or the L side.

2. Maybe connecting one wire to the corresponding port in the R channel and the other wire to the respective color matching port in the L channel.

What do you think?

Thanks for joining in.

Yes. It should be 12+12 and not 24 in total I learned now. This is even better with an 8 ~ 16 Amp range requirement.

I have no idea how to measure the Ohms and I just read the label.

Also know that these speakers have not been in use for several years and they are at least 10 years old.

I think there are two solutions for this:

1. Depending on which channel I connect the 1 serie to, I'd either have to set the Balance control to either the R or the L side.

2. Maybe connecting one wire to the corresponding port in the R channel and the other wire to the respective color matching port in the L channel.

What do you think?
1. Yes, but one stereo channel will still be missing from the reproduction. You would need a stereo to mono switch on the preamp, but your Pioneer A-110 does not appear to have one.

2. I do not recommend that you try to connect two output channels to the one speaker load. You can easily damage your amp.

1. That makes sense. I am basically missing two of the same speakers in order to get the best result.

While there is no stereo to mono switch, do you believe that both speakers will sound as if it were two mono ones?

Two mono sounds makes a stereo right?

I guess I will have to find out. I'll update this thread with the result as soon as I know.

2. I will not do this. Thanks!

Last edited:
You are missing two of the same speakers in order to get stereo.

With no stereo to mono switch you will hear only one half of the stereo image. For example, if you were listening to an orchestra, the string section could be missing!

There's no other way around your problem other than to use two speaker loads, each of 8 ohm or more.

Thanks for clarifying.

I thought I was going to upgrade my system by using those bigger speakers.

The stereo I am upgrading from is a Sony CMT-S20 system. That actually does have 2 small 8 Ohm, 4 Watts speakers which is rather low. However, the sound is not too bad.

Would hooking up these be a better idea?

Last edited:
If available you need to look at the impedance plot of your speakers to have an idea at which frequencies the impedance drops to lower values. If the impedance is low (say dipping to 4 ohm) at bass frequencies they are likely to draw more power out of the amp.

Then consider the sensitivity of your speakers (in dB/Wm or dB/2.83V1m) to have an idea of how much power is required for your listening volumes (in a big or small space at which distance?). With anything of decent sensitivity (say 88dB/2.83V1m and up) at a normal listening distance 10-12ft the chances are you only need 10-20W for reasonable max volumes. So even with the power multiple for lower impedance speakers the chances are the amp will deliver.

As far as the amp: manufacturers usually drop the power supply voltage to limit the output power for speakers which draw more current (say 4-ohm rated speakers), in order to protect the output stage from getting fried. Now they did not do that on your amp for 4 ohm speakers. But I am pretty sure for nominal 8 ohm rated speakers they accounted for some margin for the impedance to get lower within reason. They may also implement some current limiting or similar protection to protect the amp from abuse. In a well designed amp the fuse should blow first before say the output stage fails due to overheating.

I would just connect these speakers and try starting at lower volumes. If you hear anything clipping-like or unusual at higher volumes you start backing off. 6Ohm is not that bad relative to 8Ohm and the chances are it will work. One speaker on each channel for a stereo listening as intended.

If blasted the amp could fail in a random fashion. if the output stage while failing produced an appreciable DC it could fail the speaker too. This depends on the amplifier design and the failure mode.

Other options are also available but call for some trade offs:
ohms - Increasing resistance on speakers - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

Btw this forum is for DIY audio and there are better forums which deal with consumer audio questions.

Last edited:
Koja has offered you an alternative solution. I was avoiding suggesting it, since it is not optimal and can alter the response of the loudspeakers.

However, I have used this method to protect a hi-fi amplifier when working with low impedance car speakers.

9AdIK.png

The solution involves wiring a 2 ohm resistor in series with the each of your 6 ohm speakers as shown in the above diagram.

This effectively makes your 6 ohm speakers look like 8 ohm speakers as far as your amplifier is concerned.

For your 25W amplifier, you must use a ceramic resistor with a power rating of at least 10 watt, like the one shown in this link:

10 Watt 2 Ohm Cement Power Resistor

The 2 ohm 10 watt resistor will get warm in use, so make sure that air can circulate around it.

You can plug one end of the resistor into the red terminal of your amp and connect the positive speaker wire to the free end of the resistor using a section of terminal strip - if you are not into soldering (see attachment).

Do this to both speakers and you will have two, effectively, 8 ohm speakers for full stereo use. :cool:

Attachments

• Terminal Strip.jpg
    Terminal Strip.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I would just connect these speakers and try starting at lower volumes. If you hear anything clipping-like or unusual at higher volumes you start backing off. 6Ohm is not that bad relative to 8Ohm and the chances are it will work. One speaker on each channel for a stereo listening as intended.
This is what I usually want to say in these situations because it's what I would do.. but it's different of course when I do it myself.

If available you need to look at the impedance plot of your speakers to have an idea at which frequencies the impedance drops to lower values. If the impedance is low (say dipping to 4 ohm) at bass frequencies they are likely to draw more power out of the amp.

Then consider the sensitivity of your speakers (in dB/Wm or dB/2.83V1m) to have an idea of how much power is required for your listening volumes (in a big or small space at which distance?). With anything of decent sensitivity (say 88dB/2.83V1m and up) at a normal listening distance 10-12ft the chances are you only need 10-20W for reasonable max volumes. So even with the power multiple for lower impedance speakers the chances are the amp will deliver.

As far as the amp: manufacturers usually drop the power supply voltage to limit the output power for speakers which draw more current (say 4-ohm rated speakers), in order to protect the output stage from getting fried. Now they did not do that on your amp for 4 ohm speakers. But I am pretty sure for nominal 8 ohm rated speakers they accounted for some margin for the impedance to get lower within reason. They may also implement some current limiting or similar protection to protect the amp from abuse. In a well designed amp the fuse should blow first before say the output stage fails due to overheating.

Thanks for sharing this in-depth knowledge. I am not interested to investigate it to this extend unfortunately. I am sure this info is helpful for other readers though.

If blasted the amp could fail in a random fashion. if the output stage while failing produced an appreciable DC it could fail the speaker too. This depends on the amplifier design and the failure mode.

I will simply get 2 x 8 Ohm or higher speakers to resolve the issue. Since I am not going to risk blasting anything.

Why no discuss hooking up the 6 Ohm speakers to my Sony CMT-S20 system instead! Or the 8 Ohm speakers form the Sony CMT-S20 system to my amplifier. Keeping it simple and moving on from there.

Btw this forum is for DIY audio and there are better forums which deal with consumer audio questions.

I guess you are right. This is too in-depth. It is still sort of DIY at a basic level. Would I have gotten the same useful feedback on a consumer audio forum? Likely not.;)

Last edited:
The solution involves wiring a 2 ohm resistor in series with the each of your 6 ohm speakers as shown in the above diagram.

This effectively makes your 6 ohm speakers look like 8 ohm speakers as far as your amplifier is concerned.
Do this to both speakers and you will have two, effectively, 8 ohm speakers for full stereo use. :cool:

Thanks for this suggestion. However, I will simply get 2 x 8 Ohm or higher speakers to resolve the issue.

Why no discuss hooking up the 6 Ohm speakers to my Sony CMT-S20 system instead! Or the 8 Ohm speakers form the Sony CMT-S20 system to my amplifier. Keeping it simple and moving on from there.

For your 25W amplifier, you must....

My assumption was that I have a 170W amplifier. But that is only in relation to the power consumption of course. Looking at the specs again, it reads;

Continuous average power output (both channels driven)

(T.H.D. 0.2%, 8 Ohm)............... 25 W + 25 W 1kHz

(T.H.D. 1%, 8 Ohm, DIN)........... 30 W + 30 W

So if I were to connect 120 Watts speakers and then with a minimum of 8 Ohm, would it only be able to utilize 25~30 Watts from those speakers?

That would be interesting to know. I thought it was sort of a high-end amplifier but it is not right?

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Amplifier quality has nothing to do with power, many excellent amps produce less than 1W.

Your speakers are probably over-rated anyway, using a different scale. Besides, it doesn't much matter and you'll probably find that 30W gets some good usable output levels.
AudiOHMaster said:
Why no discuss hooking up the 6 Ohm speakers to my Sony CMT-S20 system instead!
Lol, here at diy some of us would rather face the challenge first, and compromise second ;)

Amplifier quality has nothing to do with power, many excellent amps produce less than 1W.

That I do find interesting. Good to know!

Lol, here at diy some of us would rather face the challenge first, and compromise second ;)

You said it; "some of us".:)

I see my latest suggestions as a solution to my 'problem' (at least until I purchased 2 x 8 Ohm speakers. If I had 0 other things to do, then there might be room for some "diy", for now I just stick to the "Audio" part.

Adding the 'Master' part to my user name was just to impress I guess.:D

Who could argue that hooking these things up, wiring, soldering is not diy?

Now in the event that no 8 ~ 16 Ohm speakers could be found, then diy is the way to go. Although, I'd probably would still prefer to find a 6 Ohm amp in that case.

Just my two Ohms... uhhh 'cents' :p

I have checked that the rated impedance of the Sony SS-S20 speakers included with your CMT-S20 micro system is 8 ohm:Sony SS-S20 Service Manual — View online or Download repair manual

So, you may use the Sony speakers with your Pioneer amplifier.

However, given that the Sony micro system was supplied with 8 ohm speakers, it may be no more happier driving your 6 ohm speakers than the Pioneer amp - which takes us back to square one! :eek:

Unfortunately, the specifications of the Sony CMT-S20 are of no help regarding its loudspeaker load capability:CMT-S20 Specifications | Sony UK

You have not yet told us the make and model of your 6 ohm speakers. With that informationt we may be able to find their specifications and make a better judgement of their suitability for your intended purpose.

Last edited: