Cones of all flavors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well just like ice cream cones, full range speaker cones seem to come in many flavors.

Just a few I've run across lately. Who's got some more? :)

Tang Band:--Bamboo
Fostex:-------Banana
Seas:---------Papyrus
Jantzen:-----Cotton
So-voioe:----Wool
JVC :---------Wood
Hemp:-------Weed

Yummy!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
Visaton -manilla (not quite the same as hemp).

The only relation of manilla to hemp, is that after Dupont got the US Government to make hemp illegal manilla was used as a substitute and the term manilla hemp was used to indicate that manilla was replacing hemp (which it didn't do a great job of and subsequently hemp was grown legally for the war effort -- and something similar should be done so the hemp can be used to make ethanol instead of corn.

dave

/sorry for the politics (there is just so much mis-information wrt hemp)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
panomaniac said:
Sugar cane is the best for that! [/B]

How much infra-structure support does sugar cane need (ie corn needs lots of fertilizer, and i believe chews up the ground)?

To be cost effective the plants need to be close to the source, so ethanol would need to be shipped to have a significant export market. I see ethanol in the long run, as a local industry, with little energy expended to transport it to its point of use (althou i guess pipelines would change that up a bit)

And that is one of the advantages of hemp - it will grow almost anywhere.And like the Eskimos & the whales, can be used for a lot more.

dave

Think of our corn like a machine developed to maximize profitability. 300 year old strains don't take a bunch of fertilizer and they aren't hard on the ground. They don't produce much seed either, and that seed doesn't contain nearly as much sugar. We developed varieties that are fantastically efficient at converting fertilizer, water, and parts of the soil into sugar. I bet ya' anything we could develop switch grass that needs fertilizer and grows three times as big.

The problem with sugar cane is that it won't grow most of the places (climates) from where most of our corn comes. Switch grass and hemp seem like the way to go, but nobody discuss the infrastructure required to use it. It isn't even remotely as dense a source of energy as corn. I can't imagine trucking a farm's worth of switch grass to market. We'd need new bigger heavier roads. And mammoth facilities to store it. And new rail lines. We've certainly solved bigger problems, but too often the rhetoric would have one believe it would be easy to just cover the midwest in grass.

I'm no fan of ethanol, and my family still owns a little farm in corn country. While initially well meaning, the subsidies for it have become a massive corporate hand out just like the rest of our farm policy. I don't see grass solving our problems either. Wind is promising. Unless some amazing new technology comes along, we need to reduce our energy consumption.

pj
save the hemp for speakers!
way, way OT.

pedroskova said:
Sugar cane needs less resources...but the king is "switch grass", from the southern US. It yields 3 times the energy with almost no fertilizer and is pretty drought resistant to boot.

I agree totally! Not to be political, but why we are pushing corn, which screws up the Supply/Demand equation with regards to many different products, and not using Switch Grass is totally beyond me. After all, it is not as cultivation dependent, is in natural wild state, and produces usable starches for fuel on a dollar for dollar premium. Only sugar cane out performs it, and sugar cane is highly labour intensive. Way to go Junior.

The most plentiful element in the universe "Hydrogen". Number 1 on your periodic table.(easy to dance to and combined with Oxygen makes energy and water)

Yes , this has nothing to do with the flavor of cones and really dosent belong in an audio forum, however we are ,as a group, probably a bit more involved with general advancements.

(ron starts designing a hydrogen powered woofer)

ron

Nothing is impossible, it only takes a greater time, effort and money.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back on topic - sort of. (Thanks Cal)

Maybe I should make speaker cones out of sugar cane.
We certainly have plenty of the leftovers, known as "Bagasse" here on the island. In fact some of the electricity used to send this message was gerenated by it. If the cones are made form Bagasse, I'll have to call them "Cul de Sac" cones. :D

I suppose that long, tough fibers are a good idea to mix into the paper slurry when making driver cones. Thus the use of hemp, bamboo, wool, and banana fibers.

Silk comes to mind as a nice long fiber. But maybe too limp for good use in cones? How about flax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.