Cones of all flavors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
zener_diode said:
How does Hemp Acoustics get away with using hemp? Is it maybe
just a small percentage of what is in the cone material?

Nothing illegal about using industrial hemp products, just growing it in the US is illegal, and requires a licence in Canada. Hemp paper, clothing, rope and in Canada, food is all readily available. If your linen suit had material sourced from eastern Europe it is almost surely made with hemp.

dave

jimluu said:

like I said....banana hemp

Actually, from the Hemp Acoustics website... Cannabis Sativa
Not sure, but I don't think that is banana hemp.

planet10 said:

Nothing illegal about using industrial hemp products, just growing it in the US is illegal, and requires a licence in Canada. Hemp paper, clothing, rope and in Canada, food is all readily available. If your linen suit had material sourced from eastern Europe it is almost surely made with hemp.

dave

Interesting. It seems that hemp has very strong fibers... great for
making speakers cones! :D

It's hemp from the shrub you would expect, used in different ways. The mix used by Tone Tubby & Hemp Tone is different from that used by Hemp Acoustics for e.g.

Fibre from the tobacco plant or even erythroxylum coca would, if processed correctly & used in conjunction with other materials, actually do OK as far as I can tell, looking at their properties. Thing is, why would you want to, when there are so many other materials that will do the same job?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scottmoose said:
It's hemp from the shrub you would expect, used in different ways.

Sort of. Just like you have Great Danes & Dachshunds, there is a huge variety of Canabis Sativa... the nototious ones that typically grow (indoors) to 24" and are loaded with pychoactive oils, to medium size plants loaded down with seeds (food plant & bio-diesel), to tall (20') skinny plants with no drug content (the latter used as fiber for rope, cloth, & hemp cones)... try smoking that you only get a cough and a headache.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.