Cone break-up - how to quantify with measurements?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very high consistency of these expensive woofers leads to very similiar performance of each. Despite this, I did individual measurements of each becouse of potential discrepancies between each enclosure damping or assembly quality leading to different behaviour resulting from diffraction around the edges (chamfers in my case) . There is temperature influence on break-up frequency which is ommitted in DIY considerations but it is very pronounced. Typical air temperature changes in the listening room can move break-up frequency around for 500Hz. Steep filters are fragile to these changes. If not cross-over filtered, these phenomena could be easily audible. I would not concern about this as I said, they are equalized and then buried down 40 dB below main SPL after LR4 crossover applied. Please not affraid of metal drivers with break-ups. Just use them properly and they will retreat with unusual sound qualities hard to reach for soft-cones.

Last edited:
Thanks, I never thought temperature could change things around that much. The seas is probably more consistent than other drivers. There is a gradual rise in response of the seas driver starting around 500 hz. Does room temperature differences affect the shape of this curve? I would think this would make equalization more difficult.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.