Completed aleph J --loud cracking sound on switch off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I need help to solve the problem.
I just completed the aleph J and noted a very loud cracking sound through the loudspeaker on switch off of the power supply.
It is very quiet on switch on and no hum at all.
The dc offset at output is less than 0.2 V but swing to about 1 to2 V on powering down.
I am using a CLC type of line filtering with about 200000UF caps. The L is wound on a EI transformer , diy type.
I also use about 11 uF of motor start non polar caps at the last stop.
Could this be the problem ?

appreciate all the help

kp93300

Cracking sound

Hi kp9etc,
Sounds very much like arcing inside the power switch. Suggest you put snubbers/switch click suppressors across each section of the switch, consisting 0.1µF "Y" type capacitor in series with 100-120R resistor, or buy them ready made from RS or farnell.

John

Hi kp9etc,
Sounds very much like arcing inside the power switch. Suggest you put snubbers/switch click suppressors across each section of the switch, consisting 0.1µF "Y" type capacitor in series with 100-120R resistor, or buy them ready made from RS or farnell.

John
Will a 1/2 w resistor be ok ?
Can I use x2 rated ? Is the value of 0.1uF critical ? Smaller and larger value ?

thanks
kp93300

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
considering this :

To power off, I pull the power cord from the ac receptacle and the problem persisted.
kp93300

this will not help :

Will a 1/2 w resistor be ok ?
Can I use x2 rated ? Is the value of 0.1uF critical ? Smaller and larger value ?

thanks
kp93300

problem is somewhere else , not in power switch

pictures

These are some pictures of the aleph j that I build.
The transformer is in another box.
The pre is J310 and Lightspeed clone as the attenuator.
hope i can find some pointers in troubleshooting this problem.

kp93300

Attachments

• no 5.jpg
    no 5.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 280
  • no 1.jpg
    no 1.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 256
  • no 2.jpg
    no 2.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 241
power supply for aleph J

Hi Zen Mod,
There is a slow start board and CL 60 before the 500W 18 0 18 0 V ac transformer.
One transformer for both channels.
C L C filtering. The trans and first C is shared with another amp---F5. There is no such problem with F5.
The L( inductor ) and C is recently diyed for the AlephJ. I have one L for the +Ve and one L for the -Ve. The + and- ve rails are shared with both channels.
The amp sees 21 V dc on load and measure the same for both channels.
many thanks

kp93300

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't most Alephs do that? There were various discussions on that in the past. I believe it has something to do with the +/- rails not draining equally fast when the power is cut. Maybe different value bleeder resistors can minimize the effect. I didn't bother with my Mini Aleph though since my speakers seemingly are okay with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.