compare with aleph j and f5 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I think we are likely "splitting hairs" on Aleph J vs F5. Both are great amps if built correctly. It is like trying to discuss which is better, a Porsche GT3 or GT4. They have their design differences, they have their similarities. You can debate all day long about the merits of each, but both are wonderful high performance machines. And I would be happy with either one. Manual gearbox and Riviera, Mexico, or Miami blue if possible.

OK , we need to differentiate mosfet input Alephs vs. JFet input Alephs , but I'm sure that any Aleph no good sounding - either isn't made properly , or isn't mated properly

Parts for an Aleph J keep appearing in my mailbox so eventually I will need to find it a mate. So Mr ZM what would you consider a proper mate? Currently I have some 88db sensitive 4" fullrangers 8 ohm (ff105wk). If I start shopping around for other speakers anything to avoid?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
any speaker is good if SPL is low and you''re close to them

though , for my taste ,sissy A class amps are best when paired with bigger and efficient and sensitive drivers

choice is waste , both old SH or new ones .... but , I need to say - one must observe both efficiency and sensitivity ; explanation - high power PA speakers are efficient , but of lesser sensitivity , simply because of fact that high power demands strong and heavy motors , thus higher moving mass

so , old school drivers (low power ) are way to go

in case that you're on this side of Pond , I would advise to buy Sonido (say something as Sonido , (almost) 1,5 Way speakers by ZM , Woland Edition | Zen Mod Blog )

but , you being where you are , someone with more local knowledge must chime in

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A friend also has AJ Mono's and an F5 that he uses on Alon Lotus SE's. I lent him an F5 while I was working on his AJ's, and he bought it from me (he wouldn't let it go...).

An Alon would make a nice choice: bi-amp using Aleph J on the open baffle top and F5 on the sealed bottom. Then future expansion to run active LP to the bottom. Let’s clone one!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
J vs 30

OK , we need to differentiate mosfet input Alephs vs. JFet input Alephs , but I'm sure that any Aleph no good sounding - either isn't made properly , or isn't mated properly

Anyone done comparisons with Aleph J vs the older Pass models? I have a Aleph 30 that I love and am trying to decide which DIY amp to tackle for stablemate . Considered the Aleph J, but also wanting something with some different sonic character and not sure what improvements the J would provide over the 30. Essentially, I have the cash to build one amp right now and am scratching my head on which to choose. Also considering F6 and M2

Anyone done comparisons with Aleph J vs the older Pass models? I have a Aleph 30 that I love and am trying to decide which DIY amp to tackle for stablemate . Considered the Aleph J, but also wanting something with some different sonic character and not sure what improvements the J would provide over the 30. Essentially, I have the cash to build one amp right now and am scratching my head on which to choose. Also considering F6 and M2

I think the F5 would be the most "different".

I have compared AJ with Pass Labs Aleph 5. Aleph 5 looks way better than my DIY AJ, but they share surprisingly the same sound signature, and I'm pretty sure that you'll not find too much difference between 30 ands J. It would be a reasonable upgrade, though. If you would pursue single ended and don't mind low wattage, I would recommend to try MOFO or L'amp.

Agree with ZM, AJ sounds great with the classic horn speakers with 15" woofers.

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have compared AJ with Pass Labs Aleph 5. Aleph 5 looks way better than my DIY AJ, but they share surprisingly the same sound signature, and I'm pretty sure that you'll not find too much difference between 30 ands J. It would be a reasonable upgrade, though. If you would pursue single ended and don't mind low wattage, I would recommend to try MOFO or L'amp.

Agree with ZM, AJ sounds great with the classic horn speakers with 15" woofers.

Thanks, that's good feedback! I've also been tossing around the idea of F6, if for no other reason than intrigue of the transformer. Any thoughts on Aleph vs F6?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ahem , let's talk about fun of building ...... instead of joys of simply having?

if in doubt , buy one set of mechanicals (case , PSU , all terminals) and both electronicals you're interested in

make one first , listen for a month

out with electronicals , put second one in , listen for a month ......

buy another set of mechanicals , few sets more of other electronicals ....... fun guaranteed

Attachments

• crazy_pilot.gif
    crazy_pilot.gif
    28.2 KB · Views: 559
Joined 2019
Paid Member
ahem , let's talk about fun of building ...... instead of joys of simply having?

if in doubt , buy one set of mechanicals (case , PSU , all terminals) and both electronicals you're interested in

make one first , listen for a month

out with electronicals , put second one in , listen for a month ......

buy another set of mechanicals , few sets more of other electronicals ....... fun guaranteed

Also a great point. I need to remind myself that an amp can also be 'disassembled' :D And I do love the build, or at least have on the limited number of projects I've tackled. I suppose having the A30 around means I can always do some swapping and a/b listening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.