Columbus DIY Audio Club

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:p

Not listening to anyones speakers yet I guess. Meeting at Panera or such would be fine, I don't know the area so you guys decide. We'll just meet up and talk about what we want to do over a bite to eat. Golf until 7:30, so, what time is good then?

I'm curious to hear either of your setups with the digital crossovers.

This Panera: http://www.panerabread.com/map.aspx?locationid=591 is the one you're talking about?

Alright, final plan diy columbus:

8:00 pm El Vaquero's on Riverside. I'll bring my laptop, and some pcbs. If someone doesn't like mexican, I'll just buy them a beer.

As always, critofur, you got veto, but figured it'd be best to settle quickly before its too late. At least, you wanted to meet for mexican in your first suggestion.

Lee

I just noticed this thread. I live in the SW corner of Columbus off Georgesville... Too bad I work a double shift today or else I'd join ya. I have a Bottlehead Paramour and some Pi Speakers. I have also built some gainclones and have a circuit similar to this on my breadboard that I like the sound of:

http://redcircuits.com/Page1.htm

I work for the company that provides the computerized wagering system to Scioto Downs & Beulah Park. Too bad this is the busy season for me. Don't know when I'd have the time to meet up with anyone. I work weekends and holidays.

El Vaquero is cool with me, as long as I can get there on time. Our tee time got moved from 4:20 to 4:55, and the course is going to be littered with foursomes playing in leagues. I doubt I'll even be off the course before 8:00 but we'll see. How long do you guys intend to be there for?

mazurek said:
Alright, final plan diy columbus:

8:00 pm El Vaquero's on Riverside. I'll bring my laptop, and some pcbs. If someone doesn't like mexican, I'll just buy them a beer.

As always, critofur, you got veto, but figured it'd be best to settle quickly before its too late. At least, you wanted to meet for mexican in your first suggestion.

Lee
Good, I love Mexican, I can stay for a couple hours. How about 8:15 to give him time to get there from his golf.

I'll bring "$10 off $20 or more purchase" coupons for Radio Shack, I have a few extra. Radio Shack is not the greatest, but the coupon should make for a good deal if they have something you need. Can someone post the address of that particular El Vaquero?

Ok see you guys there.

Here is a quick summary of the columbus meeting, again djwenger, send me your email address and I'll add you to the columbus list.

rossl is building a gainclone and psu board
markmck has a fullranger with woofer system, and would like to advocate properly gated impusle testing for drivers
critofur is working out the details of an ohm walsh like speaker
mazeroth is moving from line arrays to dipoles
mazurek is working on an analog active crossover system

Good variety of tools and experience from hobbiests to real engineers. Stay in touch on your progress.

Want to tentatively set up a meeting for July 15th?

I'd like to postpone all audio building related activities until my girlfriend is gone on vacation. She's been cooking for me every day this summer, and I decided I had better treat her nice before she moves later for her one year work-training rotation, if expect her to wait up for me.

Are some of you going to the tent sale? Will they have any deals worth driving that far for? I thought about going.

How about meeting the next day then, those who went can show those that didn't go what they missed out on...

Darn "important things" and "real life" keep interfering somehow. I hope my son likes music when he's older, then building speakers can be "family time".

Anybody else want to meetup before then? Projects in need of assistance, want a second opionion on something, or just want to show off your stuff?

Any of you electronics guys think we could inexpensively build a system with a digital crossover and one amp per driver? Is there a better/cheaper solution than the Behringer DCX2496? It looks good for stereo, but not so great for 5.1 etc.

I forgot, I might go to the partsexpress tent sale if encouraged. I am way out of money though, I tell you building an analog active crossover is expensive, and I think parts costs are going up.

BTW, I also spent all my money on replacement mids, tweeters, and baffles, I think the old ones don't sound as good after all my power supply testing :). Anyone want to help cut some baffles for me with a router? Otherwise I'll just jigsaw some for now, and cut some proper ones later (the baffles are cheap).

mazurek said:
I forgot, I might go to the partsexpress tent sale if encouraged. I am way out of money though, I tell you building an analog active crossover is expensive, and I think parts costs are going up.

BTW, I also spent all my money on replacement mids, tweeters, and baffles, I think the old ones don't sound as good after all my power supply testing :). Anyone want to help cut some baffles for me with a router? Otherwise I'll just jigsaw some for now, and cut some proper ones later (the baffles are cheap).
I would want to go to the tent sale if I knew they had something I wanted much cheaper than usual, but I have no idea if they offer many really substantial discounts (50% or more).

May I ask why you replaced the drivers? How come you're not just using the DCX2496 crossover?

I'd be happy to help you cut the baffles.

I wouldn't think the sound quality of speakers would be diminished by playing them too loudly unless the voice coil burned out (then they wouldn't play at all) or the speaker was physically damaged? "Breaking in" is usually considered to be a good thing, unless you exceed the x-max andsmack the voice coil former so hard that it gets bent and starts scraping.

It'd be interseting to compare active vs passive crossovers on the same speakers.

The lack of a DCX as crossover is largely academic, thought I would get more education out of building an analog one. Also, those DCX seem to be a small pain to integrate into a simple system (volume control).

I banged up my drivers from testing the transient behavior of turning on and off my crossover. I wasn't really worrying too much because I have been planning to upgrade them to the better Exclusive ones for a while. I've had my voice coils rub some, then get unstuck, woofers hit out as far as possible, etc. I suppose I was somewhat concerned about damage to suspension, and also just wanted the better distortion now that my designs are mostly done.

I figured out I could jimmy the drivers into my old baffles, but would like to make proper flush recessed routered ones later. So I'd like help making baffles, but timeline is flexible. Maybe we can talk once I get the new system making noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.