Class D Amp Photo Gallery

First Try-out...

Attachments

• a_img_20070506_133150_eru_ixus_800is_pict_1813.jpg
    a_img_20070506_133150_eru_ixus_800is_pict_1813.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 9,102
Hi ANDYLASER,

No, I only supplied the electronics inside the housing in this case. The customer constructed his own housing.
The front is made of 15mm aluminium on a CNC milling machine, the top and bottom are made of 4mm aluminium. All parts have been sand-blasted and anodized in black. The power switch is made of Niro. The display window consists of 3mm thick blue-tinted perspex. The "CLASS-D" lettering was printed on transparent foil and back-lit using 4 blue LEDs. The selected font imitates a graphical display.

My own housings don't look as good as this :(

Hi Eva,

You do not need it for the technology, but it is often pleasing to the eye and the man who built this obviously enjoys it.
He also owns a pre-amp from AVM and wanted both products to match optically.

k33_4.jpg

My cases are made of 1.5mm aluminium, reinforced where the transformer sits. The reinforcing is not necessary for operation, but rather for shipping.

Randy Knutson said:
Very beautiful setup!

Yes - and VERY fine sounding. I drive two Altec 604E in 9cub.ft. cabs with this power-amp: great. Sensitive, transparent, "airy" mids and highs, very natural - absolute clean and "dry" bass.
I really was surprised - after using some tubes before - of this sound reminding me of extremely fine tubes.
High-efficency speakers like the Altecs (around 104dB) usually don´t really like transistor-amps.
They tend to sound a bit cool and "flat".
Not with this switchers - really stunning!

best, Klaus

This one's for camping and visiting folks.
A TA2024 for portable use along with some A5 sized ply speakers made from drivers from a cheap pair of PC speakers.
About 3W+ drivers, Neodynium and shielded.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Only genuine 70's speakers will do ;)
It runs from a 12v 2900maH AA nimH pack, that weighs about 340 grams and cost £15, top up recharged with a 4W solar panel. I have since added some Elna Silmic IIs into the Power Supply and modded the input caps too. It sounds pretty good for the size and overall weight of it and the batteries last ages.
The bass is fantastic, compared with the original speakers anyway ;)

My surround amplifier (5 channels)

The box (330w x 230d x 40h mm)

The 5 UCD180:

Inside with Coldamp power supply:

Finished:

...and now, in two blocks version (2 + 3 channels)

2 channels with UCD180HG stereo, toroid and 40.000uF cap.

2 blocks. Rear view:

2 blocks. Front view:

At home, connected to Audiolab 8000AP Processor: