Class A - Inherent disadvantages ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Exactly.

1/ A perfect amp won't exist as soon as it sees that it has to please the death-metal-lovers as well as smooth-jazz-lovers, as humans come in so many variety of tastes.

2/ There is one amp for everyone.

3/ Each chooses his/her own amp, the one that matches his/her style(of enjoying the music he/she likes).

4/ Just that one was fooled by his/her amp and/or has an amp which he/she thinks is "exceptional", don't mean he/she should be in despair seeing someone else's amp

5/ I have chosen to overlook the distortions, etc. and objection, etc. and sure am enjoying the music at its best.

6/ I don't push my pals to have the same type of amp I own even if it gave me so much.

An excellent summary of what I consider should be common sense set of rules :worship:

Last edited:
I have been trying to understand for more than a year now why is it that amplifers that post lowers THD are not class A ?

The real answer is "Because Class A amps don't need to have such low THD numbers. Engineers could use feedback and other techniques to get the THD number down but they don't.

The reason they don't is that the distortion products of a class A amp sound different from the distortion products of an AB or B amp. The class B distortion is more harsh to the ears and really can't be allowed to be large whereas the class A distortion is not quite so bad and more of it can be allowed to reach the speakers.

I think what I'm saying is that designers try to build amps that sound good to them and let the THD number fall where it may.

Think of "THD" number is measuring about the same thing as "Pounds" caught in a fishing net. The fisherman cares about pounds but he cares even more about the kind of fish.

The "T" in "THD" stands for Total and lumps together a lot of different kinds of artifacts. I think you can use THD only to compar very similar amps. If you use THD to compare a Class A and Class B amp it is like saying "The class A has 3 pounds of apples and the Class B has 1 pound of oranges.

I'll disagree with you... single number THD is useless...

No it's not useless. If you are trying to sell amps to people who read specs THD is second only to "watts" as a marketing tool. You have to remember that most people who buy amps don't know much about them.

We see the same thing with cameras. People think they know what a "megapixel" is so that is the number the marking people push.

Why? If I increase the supply voltage on my class A amp, it suddenly becomes an AB. Does that make it sound worse??

jd
You will have distortions by turn-off.

If polarize the transistors in class A is necessary more current (Ib) in drivers, in most cases increases the distortion in class A, using BJTs is difficult to achieve high gain, I prefer Super A instead of Class A.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will have distortions by turn-off.

If polarize the transistors in class A is necessary more current (Ib) in drivers, in most cases increases the distortion in class A, using BJTs is difficult to achieve high gain, I prefer Super A instead of Class A.

I'm not turning off anything. Just raising supply voltage. How does that make for different sound, if I play the same music at the same level?

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is different in a couple areas. There is greater transistor
temperature, and the voltage across the device is different,
which alters the load line.

Both may be reasonably subtle, but they are easily measured.

:)

Agreed. I wonder if the higher temp in itself would be audible. And also with a higher supply, whether the relative Vce (or Vds) change over the same cycle as with the class A case would be audible; measureable it would actually be better I think.
But I don't think you can say in general that class A is better than AB in all cases.
BTW Thanks for the beer :)

jd

shaan,
Are you supporting me or are you not? I'm confused.
I see, you are not familiar with my standpoint regarding this subject.
Edit: don`t bother with measurement data.
This way the entire thing would become as boring as music with 0.1% 3rd harmonic, 0.001% 5th harmonic, 0.0001% 7th harmonic.
In order to correspond with our sense of hearing, the generated harmonics must decline evenly with increasing order. Unfortunately, not so many devices are willing to produce harmonics in that pattern even in a single-ended class A configuration. The single-ended class A, however, implies no harmonic cancellation, which is a condition of healthy tonal balance. (Harmonic cancellation is a measure of linearity). Low THD figures indicate an impoverishment of harmonic content.
And to tell the truth, objective quality measurement often saves life, as the user ultimately believes he's got the best in the world amp. Don't you think that's right?
There is an inherent absurdity in quantifying subjective values mathematically and technically. It is an absolute waste of time.

Agreed. I wonder if the higher temp in itself would be audible. And also with a higher supply, whether the relative Vce (or Vds) change over the same cycle as with the class A case would be audible; measureable it would actually be better I think.
But I don't think you can say in general that class A is better than AB in all cases.
BTW Thanks for the beer :)

jd

My experience listing to the same amp/system (nothing changed but temperature) was that there was very little, if any, difference in sound when the temperature of the entire amp was changed in 10 degree increments (Fahrenheit). The amp was in a constant temperature oven and the oven temperature was set at 80F initially. The amp was stabilized for one hour while powered up. Listening begin at this time. What I found to be clearly audible was the period when the amp was going from one temperature to another, either up or down. Once the temperature stabilized, I could hear no difference at 90F, 100F or 110F.

As for increasing the supply voltage, you might hear an improvement if the amp were playing very dynamic music. Would you rather listen to switching or clipping?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.