Claire's Alpair 7.3 + Helper Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going back to the drawing board and gave this one a bit of thought. Max SPL would be a few dB more with the 7.3 with helper woofer than my old Monsoon PM9's. Difference in cost, well mine were $50 on ebay. Today, perhaps $150. They originally sold for $100 retail.

Dave (planet10) knows all about these

Just thinking it's extreme to pay this much for really so little more. Dispersion is similar, bass goes deep, would like to try a MLTL with the sub, which is actually pretty good, with an Xmax of 9.25mm. The planar drivers need help at their bottom end near 200, something a wider OB would achieve simple enough. In reality I want another set myself and go ahead with an MTM OB with the planars, AMT tweeter and make the subs MLTL's.

Back to topic...
Tony you've mentioned Claire likes bass, do you mean like Dubstep etc? You can almost not have enough bass for that (>10dB more than "flat"). Reason I say this is planet10's project with the SDX7 (good driver) really does meld well with the 7.3. Knowing this the bass will get down there, but not at much level, not for that kind of music. It won't be like a system with a 10 or 12 could do. Two 6.5"er's would get you much closer to that of a 10". Enclosure size would be roughly half what the orignal proposal is. Tall, thin, just alot less depth required. Leave enclosure roughly the same and use 4.

Wow, what a hangover.. Luckily it was one of my oldest friends weddings. But the noose is slowly tightening around my neck.. A year or two at best.

I managed to have a chat with Claire at the wedding. Turns out her room is pretty small indeed, she's getting back to me on Monday with the dimensions.

Dubstep is actually about 50% of her diet and she really wants a BIG woofer, for better or worse.

Finishing some welding jobs for work but I will sit down tonight and run the numbers.

There is a hundred things I would love to try but my experience with the Alpair / woofer combo has been so positive in my system I'm going to stick to that path.

I guess once we find out exactly how small her room is we might consider using a suitably sensitive 10"...

I have also been playing my tpa3116d through the Alpairs and am very impressed. Got me thinking about a PLLXO.

Does anybody care to shed some light on what might be involved if I was to head in that direction.

Cheers all and I hope the new year is treating you all well.
Dean

Dean,

Let Claire get back with the room size...but if the room size is on the small side and she's into dub step, smaller woofers that go low are likely to be a better match. Maybe time to start looking up options for 2 x 8" or 2 x 6.5" woofs also? I did a biamped FAST experiment with the TB W6-1169 and Alp 7.3, and it worked pretty well.

Configure baffle as before but with two 6.5" front facing vertical. These can be crossed in at the baffle step appropriately being dsp based.
The other pair, one on either side as the dot 5 helper with their motors locked together in opposition retaining overall design. Use a dual channel amp to driver pairs. Each set are wired in pairs and thus are 4Ω load, a line level low pass can be added to one channel driving the outer opposing woofers crossing below 80. Wired this way a miniDSP 2x4 can be used. 2 more amp channels required for this configuration sadly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.