CHR70 vs. A7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, you have asked about the golden ratio BR... I did one. Not an ideal construction, but it's very good for burning the speakers untill the FH3 is ready. My friend does laser cut on MDF, but only 6mm max. So I design it on skectch up and here's what's playing on my living room right now:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's some braces on the marks, every wall is braced to reduce vibration, but of course is not the ideal.

This is the laser cut panels and braces:

The port is in square form, and made with same wood to keep asembling easy.

As you can see, the provisory stands are not the ideal too... lol

What can I say about this set? It simply beats ANY of the comercial small stereo speakers I had listened. I think the A7s are the finest speakers I ever heard, except for the bass part. The bass is a little boomy and doesn't go as low as I want (yet), lacking some punck on drums kick too. There's no impact, but all these problems are certainly caused by the 6mm walls of the cabinet, not the speaker itself.

Laser cutting is a wonderful tool. Would probably be my first choice if given the choice between all the different maker tools available now. You just have to live with the limitation of cutting depth. But you can stack! Double up or preferably trible up on all the panels then you're going somewhere. You could even do a middle layer with a different kind of material like acrylic say, to get a very high quality dead sounding panels (sound doesn't "like" to travel between layers of different acoustic properties).

Edit: Looks like you actually doubled up on the front panel. But the driver isn't flush? It would seem the material has the perfect thickness (6 mm) to do that.

Last edited:
Yes, the front wall is a double layer, with a different hole size for the speaker. It's a good thickness for it. There's no screws, just glued together.
I was thinking in 3 layers, with ply in the meadle, but it's not my objective to stay with this BR cabinet. It's just for burning in the drivers until I finish the FH3. I was thinking about the pensio, but I think I will like more the Fh3 in the lower end.

The driver is fixed trough the screws that come with it, but I can't get them too tight, or the screws would make a damage in the mdf, getting lose there.

If you are planning to the veneere, paint or wallpaper the FH you might as well get that lasercut too. I bet the PDF drawings could even be modified slightly to allow those to be used. If the cutting area is too small you could probably split it up into smaller parts without any loss of strength, if you do proper overlapping.

Chrisb, I totally agree with you. This is a temporary box, low cost objected. I just laser cut it because my friend made that almost for free. But even with this cabinet, the A7P are already showing what they can do. I'm already impressed, and will be more and more with a properly done FH3.

I think about laser cutting it too, but the laser cut of my friend doesn't cut in angles. Will have to try a different way of doing the angled parts. But for a Golden Ratio BR, it can be a lot easier.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.