CHR70 vs. A7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sheesh....

The price of a pair of A7s compared to CHR70 is small compared to any competitive multiway systems. Why not just pop for the small extra price and get the A7s. Then you won't look back and second guess not getting the better drivers.

The difference in investment is mush smaller when you spread it over years of listening.

My point is that AFAICS the A7 cost over double what the CHR costs all over the world.
Either get a cheaper speaker, that has a few advantages, by only getting one driver.
OR get two drivers still at a lower price and get an over all superior package. If you put the drivers at an angle (or in separate moveable cabs) you will get as wide dispersion as you want and that will go deeper.

I can follow Squeak's post. The A7.3 can be so revealing that i can think it's over revealing somewhere in audioband. How can i say so, well the most expensive speakers i heard and headphones cheap to more expensive are more smooth in my ears, and this makes me think that it was under these circumstance the tracks was generated in studios. But it's difficult to know if it's right, and it's difficult to know how a certain track sounded when generated in studio.

Below is post #1 and makes me suggest you make trials with present CHR70 by adding some EQ processing to see if performance can be raised and fill the room with music even better. If possible do it in digital domain it sometimes can be without any other degrading of signal. Try smooting audio band and copied from Bob Brines heavy high order low cut in area 20-40Hz can make wonders. Sometimes some right EQ in midband can do the trick to get your missed "paper midrange purity.." back. If running A7.3 i would do this kind of processing to get it less revealing, and what i think more true.

Hi,

almost half a year I`m enjoying CHR70 in pencil boxes. Now I`m thinking to upgrade it to Alpair 7.
Is it a big step from CHR70 or just small details?

Also how could you compare these small drivers to Alpair 10p with paper cone?

I had Fostex 206en with paper cones, I think I miss that paper midrange purity..

Please give me advices

Hi Guys,
While I can understand Squeak's thinking, there's no technical way to "push" a current model CHR into the Alp 7 (Gen.3) performance territory. The 7's design, particularly its production tolerances make it a superior driver. That's what you guys want me to do and paying me to do.

However, if I was looking to do a project that needed to handle more power/volume for example, 2 pairs of CHR's in tandem into a simple BR box (maybe with a little filtering) becomes an interesting prospect. In another thread, we've seen success from Lorien using 2 pairs of Alp7's in a studio monitoring project.

Which leads me onto an interesting situation. That is the availability of the all-new entry level CHN70 driver, increasingly known as the "Norio" in Japan. Its coming on-stream in Japan around the end of this month, also ordered by Madisound for shipping out next month (along with the new Alpair 7P and Alpair 12PW):

?????? ??????????????????:

I'll create dedicated threads in the coming weeks. But here's some pics from Koizumi to peak your interest. I think Squeak might like the CHN as it should be very affordable in North America.

Thanks
Mark.

Attachments

• _DSC1301_01.JPG
    _DSC1301_01.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 255
  • _DSC1302_01.JPG
    _DSC1302_01.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 245
  • _DSC1306_01.JPG
    _DSC1306_01.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Which leads me onto an interesting situation. That is the availability of the all-new entry level CHN70 driver, increasingly known as the "Norio" in Japan. Its coming on-stream in Japan around the end of this month, also ordered by Madisound for shipping out next month (along with the new Alpair 7P and Alpair 12PW):

That's great news Mark. Nice work.:up:

jeff

One might expect approx the same type of differences as between A10P an 10.3 metals - even when T/S parameters are factored into enclosure design calculus, I'd imagine each will retain characteristic sonic "flavours"

Or not;)

Looking forward to getting paws on a pair of these - maybe even before August

Ya my thoughts to
thought you would have your *** in the sand and a beer in your hand by now

Just spent a pretty full day hiking several pink coral sandy beaches, (12,800 steps today in 85F + 70% RH, makes for a long day) toes only in the sand so far. - Lunch at Mickey's Seabreeze Lounge, Elbow Beach, and as of an hour ago now, yes, "A" beer was involved. Now, let all those settle for a bit and marinate the lamb for BBQ, and time to open a nice Sauvignon Blanc, or Cabernet - hell, it's Father's Day, my daughter's birthday and still the first week of wife's retirement from 42 yrs with the bank, so why choose only one - just decide on the sequence :cheers:

Oh, yes audio, - this will be an interesting next few months as we get our hands on Mark's new drivers, and sort out enclosure designs. :)

Hi Guys,
While I can understand Squeak's thinking, there's no technical way to "push" a current model CHR into the Alp 7 (Gen.3) performance territory. The 7's design, particularly its production tolerances make it a superior driver. That's what you guys want me to do and paying me to do.

However, if I was looking to do a project that needed to handle more power/volume for example, 2 pairs of CHR's in tandem into a simple BR box (maybe with a little filtering) becomes an interesting prospect. In another thread, we've seen success from Lorien using 2 pairs of Alp7's in a studio monitoring project.

?????? ??????????????????:

I'll create dedicated threads in the coming weeks. But here's some pics from Koizumi to peak your interest. I think Squeak might like the CHN as it should be very affordable in North America.

Thanks
Mark.

Ok, got it! You should after all know better than anyone, and you are interested in selling both drivers.

I just have a hard time hearing the earth shattering difference between the A7 and CHR.
Sure they are different, but in a complimentary way instead of one being better per se than the other.
With two drivers you get more advantages than just plain SPL...

The CHN looks like a dream come true!
It's basically an old style CHP without the HF shelf and with surface mounting instead of that pesky 6 mm frame, that requires sinking. And very good-looking too!
Count me in for at least a trial pair.

Would it be out of place to say that early fans do the EL70 could get quite chubby over the anounced release of an A7P - that is those of us still cleared by our physicians for such activity, or at least with good memories?

I realize this was posted after dinner on a Saturday night and that veggies don't soak up wine very well so could we have a translation please? Chris, I have read it again and again and maybe it's me but what exactly are you saying? :)

I liked my EL70's until I met the CHR70's which were what the doctor ordered for my ears, now help fill in the blanks for your old pal Cal here. I can't say I've heard a side by side comparison in identical cabinets.

I realize this was posted after dinner on a Saturday night and that veggies don't soak up wine very well so could we have a translation please? Chris, I have read it again and again and maybe it's me but what exactly are you saying? :)

I liked my EL70's until I met the CHR70's which were what the doctor ordered for my ears, now help fill in the blanks for your old pal Cal here. I can't say I've heard a side by side comparison in identical cabinets.

Well Cal, first of all a typo -SB fans of the EL70;

Secondly, consult food thread to note that this week in Bermuda is with daughter and son in law currently on the Paleo diet, so I'm guiltlessly enjoying far more than just veggies- if only for a short time:mad: - (chicken last night, lamp tonight), but yes, the third and subsequent glasses of your full bodied reds do take longer for my compact frame to fully metabolize than for others;

Thirdly, the thrust of the original post was a crude attempt at a sexual innuendo alluding to a certain type of corporal excitement that might be attained by an ardent aficionado of the aforementioned EL70 at news of its long hoped for replacement with a driver benefiting from several additional years of Team Fenlon's expertise - that is, assuming the same parties involved as with the recent A10P & 10.3 metal;

Those that prefer the CHR to EL 70 - great, I happen to not, and have vacillated my affections between the EL70 and A7.3 from initial audition of the latter. The two new paper drivers might well make for an interesting dilemma - just when I thought I knew what I liked - how's that go - "careful what you wish for"?

Finally; just finished memoir of Christopher Hitchens - and apologies for the grandiose and convoluted verbosities.

Maybe Dave needs to further translate or de-obfuscate?

@intermantas - nice speaks…however their location gives you as you noted slow and muddy bass ( and sometimes too much of it ). The location also affects the midrange purity and transparency - try to move the speakers 2 feet away from the wall and two more feet apart and hear how that sounds. A small Stand Mount speaker will be much more effective and the proximity to the wall will compensate for the smaller cabinet.
A7.3 is a superior driver in all regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.