Chilli Chang review/mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jeroen, it looks great! Is it burgundy?

I saw a pic of a wooden floor before. Is it at your listening room?
Do the spikes work on that? Have you tried with and without spikes?
I'm asking because I have moved to another house and it has a wooden floor. All of my previous houses were not and I don't have any experience with that. I don't have to pay rent, though! But I have more troubles now....

Jeroen - love the paint job - speaker looks great. Is that a rubber pad on the feet? I found my pair a bit uninteresting (on carpet) until I put outriggers and spikes on, perhaps you might have to direct couple the speaker to the floor! (spikes on metal plates if exposed timber)

Alternatively, try removing some/all acoustic fill behind the driver and see what that does?

planet10 said:
Nice :)

Yes, using preview breaks attachments.

dave

myster_maze said:
Jeroen, it looks great! Is it burgundy?

I saw a pic of a wooden floor before. Is it at your listening room?
Do the spikes work on that? Have you tried with and without spikes?
I'm asking because I have moved to another house and it has a wooden floor. All of my previous houses were not and I don't have any experience with that. I don't have to pay rent, though! But I have more troubles now....

The red is called ox-blood, it is close to burgundy though.

My livingroom has a (thin fake) wooden floor indeed. I did not try without spikes on it so can not compare. I'm also no expert on usage of spikes. As far as I understood it is always wise to lift the speakers from the floor.

greenie512 said:
Jeroen - love the paint job - speaker looks great. Is that a rubber pad on the feet? I found my pair a bit uninteresting (on carpet) until I put outriggers and spikes on, perhaps you might have to direct couple the speaker to the floor! (spikes on metal plates if exposed timber)

Alternatively, try removing some/all acoustic fill behind the driver and see what that does?

The feet are spikes from soundcare. There is no rubber pad, the black is plastic to keep the metal base attached to the feet when you lift the speaker, very handy when moving the speakers.

I will play with the acoustic fill as soon as I'm confident that the speakers had theirr brake-in period.

Thanks,

Jeroen

Hi Imagios,

After a few months of (too little) listening I am starting to like them more and more. The best I can say about them is that they seem to be less "present" in the room and that with the FE167 they sound very "relaxed".

I can only compare with my previous speakers, a set of BD pipes with Fostex FE103S. This is a very good sounding speaker, very precise. Downside was perhaps a bit less low and sometimes too direct.

The Chili's are more in balance and have lots more low. It might be due to the big vents but the sound seems more wide or full. I am driving them now with a 2W SET amp but I think they need a bit more power to realy bloom.

And yes, only the carpet.

Jeroen

thanks for the info, :)
how did you designed the bracing, found it somewhere or just by assumption?
Is there anything you would made different if you would build a new one?

btw. do you drive them realy only with 2w power? (im thinking to build a apm as well for thouse speakers and I thouhgt to build a 2x25w amp; But if there is no need for so much power I may be build something like 2x10)

Last edited:
For the brace I just looked at what others did and used my imagination. I do not think it is all that critical,

If there is one thing I could change than I would perhaps go for a better driver, one that can deliver a bit more detail. The FE167 are nice but the FE103S gave something extra's in the highs.

The amp is a 6V6SET and that is 2 to 2.5 Watts.

For the brace I just looked at what others did and used my imagination. I do not think it is all that critical,

If there is one thing I could change than I would perhaps go for a better driver, one that can deliver a bit more detail. The FE167 are nice but the FE103S gave something extra's in the highs.

The amp is a 6V6SET and that is 2 to 2.5 Watts.

Back to the brace, I think I will use the same as you did,... since this will be my first project and I have no idea how to design it, and this seems to be one of the easyest.... but still Im very currious how would sound diferent bracings in this speakers.

OK I have made my order of the 167e´s and expecting them every day :))
for now, does any one has a list od dimentions of the MFD tables I will need, or do I have to read them out from the only drawing that I saw is here: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/ChiliChang-map-311007.pdf
Does anyone of you has something more detailed?

Hi Imagios, I usually do a cutting schedule for all my projects, I'm out bush this week so can not check on my own PC. Will have a look Friday night and if I did one will PM you.

Hello,
so finaly the fostexs have arrived ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I hope to start the work at end december, still Im not sure about the bracing....
I will write down the dimension of the boards to discuss with you befor I order them
to get sure.

Hello Everybody,
so I have put so far a cutting schedule and have calculated following dimension:
(in mm)

Please take a look and give me some feedback on the dimentios, are they right?

Im missing the dimentions of the pyramidal part, and the bracing - as a total newbie I dont have the skill to form the bracings...Im open to any suggestion idealy a draving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.