Cheating when the wife leaves

Anyone else fit foam mattress to the big glass sliding door that is on the right side (or left) of the listening room?

Pure heaven finally, I don't get incorrect tinkling effects coming at me sideways. At least until she comes back and I have to put the mattress back into the guest bedroom....

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cal, my apologies. I misunderstood your reference. It wasn't Waren. :cool:
As for the topic of the thread, I have a problem.
I screw things up whenever I try to hide something from my wife, so I play the brave man and I say Honey I did it again
(her right uppercut...)

George

"Turn out the lights, the party's over" Willie never sang so true. Decided to make a start at hanging my wardrobe where it belongs. Not all at once mind you, that would be like confessing to a crime, but a few shirts. And a pillow that was missed last night trying to get some sleep.

We now resume our regular broadcast, already in progress. Hit it, Sam.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Wife went to see her family in the Philippines for 3 weeks. What to do, what to do. Race home from the airport, throw pillows around, hang some clothes up, and listen to the results, that's what! Yes, this actually gets ugly for real, but I have never heard G olden Earring jump off the wall, live in front of me like this in all of my years.

Try it. Take a chance. Ok, so gobsmaked applies here.

I find that Baron Tagalog and Rayn Spooner shirts are best at reflecting ukuleles ( Hawai'ian Country, Jake Shimabukuro ) and mandolins ( Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers).. the kind of music I like when the wife is away. Those flannels are OK for Bakersfield Country and grunge stuff, I guess.

And now you know why I bought those HUGE four pillows for the couches in the living room. You didn't think they were meant to stay put on the couches, did ya?

And... like the good old Auntie Enid Lumley over at TAS... I cover the fireplace when I play music by myself... and the mess of cables hidden behind the stacks is by design!

But I don't have a keg nor do I invite people over... I'm a cranky old man and I get drunk on two beers ( 9% IPA ) nowadays. If the wife is away I don't want want to be told what music I should play. Besides, when the wife is away I can walk around in t-shirt and boxers all day long if I want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Parents on holiday.. yes.... my parents went on a two week vacation... took my little sister. Around '80.

So, I had money to rebuild my room and paint the house. There were no instructions on the color of the house. It was Puget Sound Dark Green at the time.

Their living room was a very nice size, about 27 by 16 or so. I set up my stuff... ADS L810, Sansui G7500 and Dual TT. Set up the barcaloungers in the sweet spots. It sounded fantastic. The speakers were off the side and rear walls so they developed a very nice soundstage and they cranked up with no untoward colorations or room resonances.

So I rebuilt my room: custom dropped wood ceiling, paneling, new framed closed, new rug and baseboard heater. Then I painted the house. I swear it was "Desert Sand"... two spray on coats.

So, they showed up, I hadn't had time to put my stuff out of the living room. First thing.. on driving up... Hey.. the house is "pink".

Second thing, my mom sees the living room... hmm... my dad actually liked it, but you know... I mean, the house was clean, my room was finished, the paint job was pretty good - I had rented an industrial machine and had a friend help out. That paint job lasted 20 years.

I guess "Desert Sand" was not meant to be seen in cloudy, raining weather where it does show it's "pinkish" side. Yet, if you go to Edwards AFB, all the buildings are desert sand colored... And there it blends with the environment nicely.

The stereo did sound damn good though.

Reactions: 1 users
Great story, thanks for that. Man, even a dropped ceiling in your room. I have kind of thought about my listening room. My ceiling is 3" higher than the usual build, so a slightly dropped ceiling with decent looking acoustic tiles might be good. Haven't told the wife. Got 2 1/2 weeks left. Hmmm.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I built the ceiling in my old room with mahogany door skins and nice oak 2"x1/2" and 2"x1" to build the T-rails.

I laid out the grid and then cut the door panels into 2x3 panels. ( or something like that, since it was custom, I wanted to minimize wa$$te). I don't know I'd use that for acoustics but it sure looked like a million bucks.

Those "white" acoustic tiles look.... awful. Maybe a coffered ceiling instead? But that's gonna take longer than 2 weeks.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks Tony for the link. That explains a lot about what can be done. I have a popcorn ceiling that is as ugly as it is useless. Fortunately, the ceiling height is 8' 3" which gives me just a little room to work with. I know that it would be a tight squeeze but likely a big improvement for more than one reason in my listening room.