Cheapest top dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a RAKK DAC version 1 which uses PCM1794. I have 75 ohm resistors for the i/v and take a SE output straight into the grid of my line stage. The line stage is a 26 DHT in filament bias which is just about the best sound you can get. Less amplification factor (8) then the usual tubes like ECC88, but much better sound.

I'd be interested in any other DAC boards that could replace my RAKK ver 1. I'd like more output - I get about 0.5v out right now after the i/o resistors. I could use an ES9023 and that sounded very good in my system when I borrowed one.
That would be a solution I'd recommend.

I use USB input out of my Mac Mini.

Attachments

• 26FB+LL1660_4mA.png
    26FB+LL1660_4mA.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 757
Sure - all DACs introduce noise when their output changes, its inevitable because there's no such thing as zero settling time (which would require infinite slew rate) and zero glitch. If the settling transient were perfectly exponential then there would be no noise added but I've never seen a DAC + I/V stage which behaves like that.

To minimise this noise, run the DAC only as fast as required for the necessary bandwidth, but no faster..Hence NOS, but with a steep output filter to suppress the images since sending the image frequencies through an active stage results in IMD.

This was the philosophy of the first RBCD players. Like everything else in digital audio cost came into play and many many compromises have been made since. That said building a 7th order filter can be tedious and time consuming, I am fairly satisfied with PCM1704 and good modern oversampling (ie not DF170x.) The rockna PCM1704 kit sounds a lot better than I expected.

Also no one has mention jitter. Most all who want a DAC are using it with a computer and direct USB can be terrible with noise and jitter.

DAC's get complicated any way you look at it. Every design is a compromise I think because designing a good one requires so much cross discipline expertise. You need a digital PCB designer, a micro-controller programmer, an expert analog guy, and a power supply guru.

The SM5842 +AD1865+tubes posted earlier is a decent compromise if paired with an ian Fifo.

This was the philosophy of the first RBCD players. Like everything else in digital audio cost came into play and many many compromises have been made since. That said building a 7th order filter can be tedious and time consuming, I am fairly satisfied with PCM1704 and good modern oversampling (ie not DF170x.) The rockna PCM1704 kit sounds a lot better than I expected.
I agree with that.
Also no one has mention jitter. Most all who want a DAC are using it with a computer and direct USB can be terrible with noise and jitter.
I prefer to use a stream player with HDD built in connected to DAC by SPDIF and avoid to use USB connection.
DAC's get complicated any way you look at it. Every design is a compromise I think because designing a good one requires so much cross discipline expertise. You need a digital PCB designer, a micro-controller programmer, an expert analog guy, and a power supply guru.
The SM5842 +AD1865+tubes posted earlier is a decent compromise if paired with an ian Fifo.
My favourite DAC is PCM1794 or PCM1798 as it can play HD formats and does DSD also.

I agree with that.I prefer to use a stream player with HDD built in connected to DAC by SPDIF and avoid to use USB connection.
My favourite DAC is PCM1794 or PCM1798 as it can play HD formats and does DSD also.

Interesting, what is your streamer if not a computer ? Squeezebox ?

You not believe in recloker like the usb/spidf recloker for computer ?

The DAC you talk about seems to be old technics & chips.

I ask myself if a good recloking in SPIDF at the enter of the DAC with a wolfson 8804 and crystal (non softaware mode) can be a deal against hard tweak in streamer like squeezebox I have with a I2S output and a crystal chip near the DAC chip in the dac box. I give up the TDA1541 best thread and try the GB Gurrulinux DAC. the squeezebox duet is too precious to break it.

We talk not too much about streamer in DIYA nore DIY ones...

Interesting, what is your streamer if not a computer ? Squeezebox ?
Not computer and not squeezebox. Squeezebox do not allow to install any HDD inside, it allows only LAN or WIFI. I checked several options and the sound from HDD connected to stream player via SATA is best. The same HDD removed form stream player and connected via USB sounds worse and difference is very big. My player to date is Dune HD, and I'm working on my DIY stream player based on Popcorn Hour C200 with regulated power supply, master clock and SPDIF signal buffer.
You not believe in recloker like the usb/spidf recloker for computer ?
I don't believe in computer ;)
Stream player is also a computer, but highly specialized to do one thing.
The DAC you talk about seems to be old technics & chips.
I don't care if it is old, It does the job and sounds very good.
If reading HD format, I could stuck with AD1865 or PCM63 or even ancient TDA1541A because I'm quite happy with their sound quality.
I don't like chips like Sabre or AD1955 or Asahi Kassei.
I ask myself if a good recloking in SPIDF at the enter of the DAC with a wolfson 8804 and crystal (non softaware mode) can be a deal against hard tweak in streamer like squeezebox I have with a I2S output and a crystal chip near the DAC chip in the dac box. I give up the TDA1541 best thread and try the GB Gurrulinux DAC. the squeezebox duet is too precious to break it.
I think SPDIF is not main issue with squeezebox. I think the main issue is absence of SATA connection.
We talk not too much about streamer in DIYA nore DIY ones...
I think making a stream player from scratch is overkill if one may grab a decent player like Popcorn or Dune or even Hyundai Mbox and tweak it.

"I don't care if it is old, It does the job and sounds very good."

I am agree with that, it was just a question because of their marketing speach !

i have a squeezebox duet spidf link to a Raindrop hui AD1865 non oversampling (and no recloking spidf) but i 'm happy with just a synology server with wifi to squeezebox duet and a little tweak : just some sanyo oscon in the Squeezebox Duet for the xlink chip and the little wolfson converter chip ! it's as good as the ad1865 : I try many caps here : the less is the better for me with the squeezebox duet. No powersupply tweak : we have always a pifilter with the wire of the powersupply transformer, and a caps and a self in serie after in the squeezebox ! I tried but a linear powersupply was not better to my ears

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.