Cheapest 12" Guitar Speaker for small Tube Amp, <$50

Looking at two ebay candidates. All I need is something reasonable efficiency wise for a <50W amp, that'll work in a U frame style mostly Open Back guitar amp cabinet. The Q parameters and FR are quite different and I'm unsure - except that typically the higher Q is chosen for an OB - of which one to pick. Opinions welcome!

Unit A
Nominal impedance Z: 8Ohm
Power:40-80W
Frequency response:50-17khz
Fs: 59.4 Hz
Sd: 54.325 cm³
Qms: 15.161
Qes: 1.116
Qts: 1.040
Magnet:Y35(Ferrite)
Mean Sound Pressure Level: 95.2dB (2.83V/1m)

Unit B
Rated Impedance: 8 ohms
Operating Bandwidth: 38Hz ~ 2.5KHz
Power Handling Capacity: 175W RMS
Sensitivity (1W/M): 97 dB
Voice Coil Diameter: 2.5 inch
Magnet: 50 Oz
Resonance Frequency Fs: 38 Hz
DC Resistance Re: 7.2 ohm
Qms: 2.8
Qes: 0.385
Qts: 0.34
Equivalent Cas air load Vas: 108.0 liters
Coil Inductance Le: 0.923 mH
Efficiency Bandwidth Product EBP 98.70
Voice Coil Over Hang X-max 3.75mm

The 12 inch Eminence speakers I am using came from a Parts Express "one time factory buyout" for $25 a couple years ago. They have these closeout deals from time to time, but I don't see any now. Their cheapest 12 inch guitar speaker is currently $57. There is a 10 inch guitar speaker currently listed for $15..... 2 X 10 cabinet maybe?

My first DIY guitar speaker cabinet as a kid was a 4 X 10 with Utah speakers..........no I don't need another project........NO........

Tons of guitar players improve their amps by replacing OEM/Factory speaker by a better one, usually a Celestion, and have no use for the old one.
These often go for $15 to $25 at garage sales, local Craigslist and such.
90% of the time they are quite good Eminence custom made for that brand.
Say Randall "Jaguar" speakers, those fit to Peavey, Crate, generic Fender, etc.
Even if Chinese, such as most Peavey "Blue Marvel" , they are quite good, those are serious brands who won't "burn" their market share by using cr*p.
So search locally.
Bonus: you'll save in shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Here is one: Peavey Blue Marvel (Peavey house brand): an excellent Eminence made speaker, one of the Legend series, for all of 21 bucks.

IMG_20240414_120140.jpg

Disregard the outrageous >100$ shipping and 1-2 MONTHS delay, EBAY detected I am in Argentina, 10000km away.

In general, search for used "Peavey - Fender - Crate - Randall" etc. speakers.

Laney may bring a British made HH speaker, equivalent in everything to a Celestion except on label.

There is a 10 inch guitar speaker currently listed for $15..... 2 X 10 cabinet maybe?
That's tempting, I was hoping to use an old Dayton 12" sub cabinet temporarily, after pulling the driver and plate amp off the back.

Goldwood GW-1238
I notice this has a Qts of .7, which is more toward my OP "Unit A".

These often go for $15 to $25 at garage sales, local Craigslist and such.
90% of the time they are quite good Eminence custom made for that brand.
I had a look at the Crate brand on ebay, came up with this one -

1713116342535.png

Seems $50 TCO is something I wont be punching much below for a 12 - as long as I'm in a hurry. I'll probably just go for this one, as its located a hop-skip away in Graham WA; hopefully arrives sooner than other choices from other parts of the country. $15 to ship.

Aren't you the master of thrift store finds?
Well, the universe hasnt responded to my putting the idea out there in exactly the way I want quite yet. Example, It said "here ya go!" with a big 15" "Tosh" cabinet with a horn, for $50, at a GW just down the road. It's about as movable with my old bones as a Fender Twin. So I passed on it - twice. (And I really sealed my fate by bragging to my wife how I'm having the sense to not haul yet another large volume piece of junk home...with the caveat that if it was $20, I'd have had it.)

This particular Crate speaker seems to have a small-ish magnet, although picture is dark and at an awkward angle, I'd keep searching, including other brands such as Peavey.
Bandits always sported a "good" speaker, specially because it has to stand an overdriven 80W RMS amp, so they can't fit a weakling there.

Although I currently have a 12" Crate speaker for repair (shifted magnet so customer just bought one of mine) which is Eminence made, what is commercially sold as Governor, their Celestion clone, including the 44mm voice coil, large magnet and Kurt Müller cone, a top quality speaker, pulled from one of their excellent Vintage Club tube powered series.

There are many hidden gems out there, behind lowly "house brands" nobody wants.
Many forget that most US made amps used an Eminence made one.

Look what the cat brought:

Celestion "Crate Palomino" u$35
IMG_20240414_180449.jpg

Or plain search Ebay for:

"Guitar speaker 12"
"Price limit: $15 to $50
"

You will be surprised 😉

Yup agree its easier to buy factory speakers people have yanked.
I do usually go for eminence as well
And Reverb.com will have plenty from 50 to 35 dollars.

I always go for Eminence since they are close
enough to the same 5 legends they sold for years.

People yank em to " upgrade"
and end up buying the same thing for 5x more.

Ive bought numerous brown or black / silver basket
fender special designs.
Few I found in few minutes.
I usually get the brown baskets from earlier
1x12 combos, sometimes its black basket with
Brown/gold sticker

or numerous black silver

Fender 8 ohm
Fender 8 ohm
Fender 8 ohm

Reactions: 1 user
Look what the cat brought:
That listing shows here in the US - $45 they want for shipping :'( compared to $100 for Argentina :'(

Anyway, I pulled the trigger with a $26 offer on the Crate, was accepted and I paid for it automatically, apparently. Next thing I knew was a message asking if I wanted to pick up, which I politely declined.

Anyway here's an enhanced photo; I assume the magnet is a bit bigger than the sticker! We'll see in several days I assume.

Crate.png

After I get my amp's functionality as I'm hoping to do with this, well, it's a long summer and who knows what I may find, a bit better. Thanks! I'll keep looking, knowing there's gems to be found.

Reactions: 1 users
That listing shows here in the US - $45 they want for shipping :'( compared to $100 for Argentina :'(

Anyway, I pulled the trigger with a $26 offer on the Crate, was accepted and I paid for it automatically, apparently. Next thing I knew was a message asking if I wanted to pick up, which I politely declined.

Anyway here's an enhanced photo; I assume the magnet is a bit bigger than the sticker! We'll see in several days I assume.

View attachment 1299012

After I get my amp's functionality as I'm hoping to do with this, well, it's a long summer and who knows what I may find, a bit better. Thanks! I'll keep looking, knowing there's gems to be found.
Oh, it looks fine.
Same magnet size as many OEM Eminence magnet speakers.
Picked from above and at an angle it looked smaller, buy hey , pictures can be deceiving.

Just ask emigrants to Australia who ordered-a-bride from the Old Country based on 20-30 year old pictures 😫

"powers on emits sound"
STINKS of dirty/scratchy/buzzing mistreated speaker.
Avoid.

Unless he can put phone 1 meter in front, play a few clean chords and let them die naturally.
And even so ......

I quite trust the one you bought because he already sold 18 and has 9 more.
WHO has 27 identical "pulls"?
So I guess he bought a factory surplus lot, probably at auction, and all are still new in box.
You tell us when you get it. 😉

In which case they are even more of a bargain.

Wouldnt want a 4 ohm driver
for single speaker.
Dont know who owns crate now.
But you seem to like SLM stuff alot.

But yes its the great thing about
Celestion they usually sell fast.
Got rid of my greenies and 30's fast.

Never reconed one, be nice to drop in a 8 or 16 ohm
coil if its toasty. Or if it is the amp.

Speaking of amps.
Be entertaining to look at the amplifier section
of the blue voodoo 120 and the 60
See if its anything respectable to use
for a SS section.

Last edited:
I already decided to pass on that Crate amp. I do believe the speaker I ordered is new. Seller mentioned something about "each one has it's own box so shipping should be no problem".

But, am I getting it?
I guess I meant as much "am I getting what to look for", as am I getting that particular auction offer. Some of the idea was for just the already constructed cabinet as well, but...gotta watch that accumulation of these "large volume" things in multiples. I just pitched my JBL HLS610s to the roadside with a free sign. (I have the bigger HLS615s)