Cheap and FAST OB, Literally

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Looks like 12 of the Peerless are going to be about £250 by either Digikey via US stock and that is duty paid, or just over £200 from TLHP in France. Duty not paid and 50/50 whether I'd get the import bill or not.
Or from Soundimports the GRS shipped would be about £115 with no duty...again in the lap of the gods if I'd get the import fees. GRS looking good value even if the Peerless may have some good attributes.

Installed the woofers today. 4 sets of parallel and 2x series then parallel those for 4ohms nominal. Alternating drivers in and out. All wired up and tested polarity with 9v battery. All drivers push in and squeeze air out of slot on +ve polarity.

View attachment 1038064
View attachment 1038065
View attachment 1038066
View attachment 1038067
The weight of 8x woofers is really noticeable. This is a heavy speaker now. Listing it up onto the bench to do the wiring wasn’t easy. About 52lbs now I think, before tops or wings or XO boards.
As I have no experience with SLOT woofers: Work all 8 Woofers in the same phase? I Wohls be happy for an answer

Reactions: 1 user
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes all in same phase such that they squeeze air out of the slot together. Push-push. But if you install drivers such that the magnet is outside on one side and magnet inside on the other (to reduce suspension induced distortion), then the phase of the driver with magnet inside the slot is reversed connection so that it moves on the correct direction.

Yes all in same phase such that they squeeze air out of the slot together. Push-push. But if you install drivers such that the magnet is outside on one side and magnet inside on the other (to reduce suspension induced distortion), then the phase of the driver with magnet inside the slot is reversed connection so that it moves on the correct direction.
Thanks a lot for your clarification. I will build your speakers and write a comment ehem I have completed the assembly.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
1656071310952.jpeg

1656071337648.jpeg

White or black? Maybe both…

Tweeter waveguide should be flush. Rebate not deep enough in render.

Had a chat with X the other day; he said it might be helpful to others so here is what we talked about:

Q: Should I use the SB Acoustics 5x8 racetrack woofers for a SLOB?

A: Racetrack oval woofer - yesgo for it. Try to match the natural slot loading fall-off with the electrical low pass filter. Put magnet facing inside on one of them to help reduce distortion and keep slot chamber volume smaller to increase upper bandwidth.

Q: If I cross my SLOB over at 550Hz, can I choose a smaller full range driver than the PRV?

A: Can you use smaller full range driver? Yes, but make sure it has enough sensitivity to keep up with the higher sensitivity of the woofer array. Four 8in 8ohm racetracks will have +6dB from series parallel plus 1.5dB from slot loading. There will be about -5dB loss from baffle step. Net gain of about 2.5dB. If woofers are nominally 88dB you will need circa 90dB full range. Only ones in that category are Faital Pro 3FE22/25 or 5FE100 or maybe some Fostex but I would avoid those as they are not able to handle power and not neutral. Keep in mind that these drivers won’t be as low distortion as PRV 5MR450NDY when playing 90dB plus.

Q: Can I use a monopole tweeter, and if so, am I still ok to cross over so high?

A: Can you use a monopole full tweeter on top? Yes, and 4kHz crossover is perfect. Even 5.5kHz - I would go for higher to keep “telephone band” as wide as possible for single driver coherency from the full range.

Q: I want to run a hybrid active crossover (DSP for bass, passive filters for mid/treble). Is this advisable?

A: Hybrid passive/active crossover is an excellent idea. This lets you dial in time delay on the woofer for better time alignment. Keeps the passive on the mid and tweeter where low noise and clarity is important.

unfortunately, I am not at home with my computer right now. That's where all my pictures are.
Half way around the earth actually! Planning to get back in early September.

But, a simple sim with HornResp will give you all the info you need. And for the MA driver, I followed X's suggestion from his other design and used a sports cone to isolate it from the line.