Charlize, my thoughts

Does this amp need a pre-amp? My modified squeezebox only has a 1v output... It does not have enough drive for my trends ta-10

I assume that you mean your SB has a passive output stage! If so, a Burson Buffer has been recommended for use between the SB and power amp! It will give you some more gain (anout 6db) as well as increasing the weight and scale of the music. :att'n:

I have another question. One month ago i have bought a charlize and yeo have recomended me a 100k pot. He said to me that he olso uses this pot.
After that i have readed all this tread, i have understood that it is better a 10k pot.
What have i do? Have i to change 100k pot?

Tnx very much for your help.

Bye

Pier.

Does anyone have any experience of the quality of these?
"12V DC 4.2 Amp Regulated Switching Power Supply NEW".
They are available on ebay from china and are a good price.
Are they any good for Charlize?

Attachments

• power%20supply%201.jpg
    power%20supply%201.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 406
vt4c,

You do not allow PM to be sent to you so I am replying here.

Thank you very much for your kind offer to send an enclosure to me.
I will try to find one on my own first so that I can be more assured of a repeatable source before I ask you to go to any trouble for me. Again, thank you for your offer which I may still accept, but I have not finished looking for an enclosure on my own yet.

Best regards,
Steve

Excellent enclosures.

Hi, Steve:

After looking around for months, I finally settled on IAG chassis for my monoblocs. I ordered a set from the IAG website, but a month later I hadn't received them, so I canceled my order and ordered a set of 737Us from ATI. They arrived within two weeks, and later ATI sent me an additional set of end sub-panels for free, as I didn't need an IEC mains plug cutout.

These are really nice anodized aluminum enclosures and very easy to work with. Even given the shipping costs they're a reasonable buy. The ATI url is "http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/". I'd recommend them, but also note that VT4C is an excellent supplier. Very responsible and reasonable prices on high quality products.

George

Dear all

Found it forgotten, in an obscure drawer - the Charlize amp

Bought it a long time ago, as you may think, and now I want to give it a new life, for some TL speakers, Fostex based...

I wish to have an preamp in front of it, for 3 sources CD/tuner/AUX, but reading all 28 pages of the thread I'm still unable to understand what's the Charlize input impedance - as I want to match it with some 6n1P, cathode follower, tube preamp

I know the last reply was in 2007 but maybe....someone can enlighten me on this matter?

Many thanks!

Dear all

Found it forgotten, in an obscure drawer - the Charlize amp

Bought it a long time ago, as you may think, and now I want to give it a new life, for some TL speakers, Fostex based...

I wish to have an preamp in front of it, for 3 sources CD/tuner/AUX, but reading all 28 pages of the thread I'm still unable to understand what's the Charlize input impedance - as I want to match it with some 6n1P, cathode follower, tube preamp

I know the last reply was in 2007 but maybe....someone can enlighten me on this matter?

Many thanks!
Did you try searching for the ditparadise site?

https://diyparadise.com/w/charlize-744/

Hi Andrewbee

It was the first place to look. Unfortunately beside the fact that they recommend a 50k pot "You can wire the input to a volume pot of 50kohm to make it an integrated amp or just plain RCA sockets." and some obscure info, somewhere in the deep web, stating around 10K as input impedance, nothing more...

And more is my understanding that the input impedance is related/given by the components used in the input stage. Hence the question

all the best

Hi Andrewbee

It was the first place to look. Unfortunately beside the fact that they recommend a 50k pot "You can wire the input to a volume pot of 50kohm to make it an integrated amp or just plain RCA sockets." and some obscure info, somewhere in the deep web, stating around 10K as input impedance, nothing more...

And more is my understanding that the input impedance is related/given by the components used in the input stage. Hence the question

all the best
I think I used a 10K pot in mine. I can check later. It is a fantastic amp. I use mine as a reference. Mine has the airfare inductors. I also have a 41Hz amp (6)? The one with the same 2020 Tripath chip and it too sounds really good. I think there is something special with the 2020 Tripath.