CFA Topology Audio Amplifiers

If you drop this resistor you ll change the caracteristic
of the circuit , either it s a CFB and this will increase
the OLG or it s a VFA and this will change the feedback
loop phase/gain response.
Absolutly, wahab. That's why i proposed to look in closed loop for the bandwidths and phase curves at the input of the second stage ( just after input signal has been mixed with NFB one).
You can compare that way the frequencies where feedback ratio begin to decrease (open loop flat frequency limit as an increase of the response curve level) and what happens at the limit of the frequency range of the amplifier, without modifying their behaviors.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
my first 2c:

1) It seems to me that both CFA and VFA can get the job done and the differences between them are only to be heard when comparing two different amplifiers (since they start with different topologies). Hence, more often than not, differences between them are difficult to isolate since there are many factors known and suspected to affect the sound of the result. Compensation is a key difference, as already mentioned above. There are many topological options that use CFA and many that use VFA which allow the designer to provide for certain performance parameters (e.g. PSRR, slew rate, harmonic profile, gain-bandwidth etc.) So I bring into doubt the usefulness of the question, which is better between CFA and VFA.

2) Without casting opinions about anybody in particular, I would imagine that a good results is achieved when a designer uses the tools he/she knows best, whether CFA or VFA, or indeed FETs vs BJTs, or SS vs Tubes - amplifier artists and engineers might do best when using certain approaches because this is where their talent and experience is.

This is a very good summary. The only problem is that it leaves not much to argue about, and arguing is the soull of this thread :)

jan

I think Mikek is talking of global NFB and in this matter
he s right , you cant go over 30-35dB GNFB at 20Khz
without stability issues, of course the total feedback
including local loops can be much higher at said frequency.

Are you saying, in other words, that one cannot build an amp with an UGBW (unity gain bandwidth) larger than 600kHz-1MHz without stability issues?

Imagine your amp is set as unity gain follower (other cases are worse), having 30dB GNFB at 20kHz means that its open loop gain at this frequency is 30dB. With a 6dB/octave roll-off, 0dB is achieved at 640kHz (the UGBW)

That doesn't sound that much to me, nor impossible without stability issues.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Actually, MIC, or input inclusive compensation does not allow more major loop gain than ordinary Miller compensation.

Secondly, I suspect, but haven't examined this yet, that the compensation network that is required to make the input inclusive compensation loop stable may worsen PSRR dramatically.

My suspicions are founded in the fact that the similar shunt compensation network required to make the minor loop stable with Jolly-McCharles input cascode inclusive compensation ruins the PSRR.

I cannot comment on this Michael. You may well be correct - I would have to sim this to see.

Where's Harry?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Whatever the topology , the higher the total gain the more
you ll eventualy have to "dump" high frequency gain either
using local linearizing loops or more brutaly with a shunt
at said frequencies.

TPC will get you to much higher than 30-35 dB at 20 kHz and that's one of the tricks to get single digit ppm in VFA's. Similarly, TMC can allow about 15 dB of additional feedback at 20k.

I believe the correct statement is you cannot get much more than 30 or 35 dB of feedback at 20 kHz with standard MC.

Mosfets will also allow the ULGF to be pushed up so you may be able to claw a few more dB there as well

it seems i'm the only one, here, to had made a CFA version of a VFA amplifier in real world.

I proposed that an expert in simulation take the L.C. VSSA schematic and make a VFA of it, removing the F.B. resistances and adding an other input pair in LTP topology instead.

I agree with the idea but with different proposal considering that:

(1) You started with a bad cfa amp when you modded Crescendo into cfa.

(2) We cannot say that solid state is better than tube by trying to replace the transistors in a blameless amp with tubes. We treat components based on its character and design objectives.

(Instead of comparing measurement result we can otoh put the minimum standard measurement as the objective to achieve with both cfa and vfa and compare the result by listening).

With vssa i can see M400 or P101 (non symmetrical version) as the equivalent vfa. Here the vfa tend to have better bass and cfa better highs.

Now pay attention to ska gb150d. Cfp output is not suitable for fast amp, especially high input capacitance hexfet. This will be a great challenge to turn the dual ltp input to become a cf one.

Now pay attention to ska gb150d. Cfp output is not suitable for ...

Hi Jay, I may have assumed something you didn't mean to say, but I would note that the SKA GB150 is not a CFP output, it is a common source output. It also appears to have enough drive to the output FETs to have good open loop bandwidth.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Early on here, i would like to add some definitions that have been accepted in industry. I think it will help to seperate what is what for those not intimately familiar with the topology -- to be expanded upon, later ->

"True current-mode signal processing may be defined as the processing of current signals in an environment where voltage signals are irrelevent in detrmining circuit performance."

It is where/when this ideal deviates that the lines between CFB and VFB become blurred. Such as impedance increases with freq making the nodes less than ideal.

Thx-RNMarsh

Jay just made a statement about the response of a vfa vs a cfa and while I understand where the difference may be coming from at the 20khz range what would cause any difference at the other end of the scale down at let's say 20hz? Why would a vfa have better bass response where I would think these two topologies would be the most similar?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Why would a vfa have better bass response where I would think these two topologies would be the most similar?

differences in Zo and PSRR can contribute to this. same question was asked when SS amps appeared....about why bass was tighter, etc compared to tube amps. Lower Zo etc.

However, you also need to be sure peak current output is same to compare 'similar' circuits.... as this also affects bass quality a lot.

-THX RNMarsh

Last edited:
I am sticking to the CFA issues only --- dont care about the questions related to comparsions at this time. It ought to become more clear as we progress thru the CFA topology.

Thx-RNmarsh
Are you referring to my question about BJT LTPs used in inverting mode? If so, I find it a cheap answer as my question is directly related to your quoted argument. Along with the fact that current mode operation is at the core of CFA operation.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Are you referring to my question about BJT LTPs used in inverting mode? If so, I find it a cheap answer as my question is directly related to your quoted argument. Along with the fact that current mode operation is at the core of CFA operation.

Just hold on... we'll get there. Others need to catch up and starting this forum off right is important. lets put up some basic info which can help in clarify and focus on what are the real issues for audio.

-RM