Central OB subwoofer with two 12": vertical or horizontal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I got a bunch of old Philips 6" fullrangers lately and want to use them on a thin dipole OB and augment the lower octaves with a central OB woofer.

I want to try this with two Foster 12" I have. They have a Qts of 0.55. While not as high as the typical OB woofers, it should still be nice and very tight, with Bessel-like characteristics.

Question is this: should I mount the two woofers vertically or horizontally? I'm leaning towards a vertical arrangement at the moment, for aesthetics and footprint concerns.

I could try to flip the baffle and try the two arrangements before I install wings and see what I like best.

Any thought?

IG

I would go horizontal and close to the floor i've tried both ways and horizontal seems to give better response - this is with not wings though.

It's pretty easy to try both arrangements though

It wont be too hard to try I would also suggest that you try the 6" without a baffle and see what you get your 12's should play high enough to match with the 6" and non baffled they should sound better.

if you look at gainphile works here Gainphile or on the multiway section of this forum you can find something about phase problems matching separate woofers distant from narrow baffles, i think the fact is you are going to mix them at realtively high frequencies say you'll get those FR alone somewhere beetween 200-400hz i think

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.