• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Celibidache NOS DAC

@abraxalito Here are the pictures of the I/V stage. I looked it over with a magnifier and also gave it a sniff test to see if anything smelled burnt but it all seems ok. Are there any particular pins you want me to measure?
IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

@abraxalito Well... the process for mechanically supporting and wiring the oversized caps is shoe-horning and jimmy-rigging. They are about as supported as kilt wearing Scottish men. :sneaky:
There is about a 1cm lead between board and cap. Not elegant and definitely frowned upon, but it works if you don't touch it much. I included a pic so the engineers can wince and facepalm. :ROFLMAO:
Here is the "however"... I replaced the three lower ones with the original stock caps and the issue persists.
IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I've been scratching my head for quite a few days wondering what the next step would be. Seeing you have noise on both channels I need to come up with a plausible mechanism which explains why both channels are noisy and to date my best guess has been it would be related to the power supply as that's common to both. I'm ruling out two noisy opamps as that's super unlikely. The output caps could possibly be adding extra stray capacitance but that's a long-shot really.

Today I plan to fire up a Celi and see if I can get anywhere with trying to provoke it to create noise. One thing you could try is adding a cap (470pF, 0603 or 0805 NP0) between pin5 and pin6 of both of the LT1028s. The cap will slow the opamps down a little just in case they're oscillating for some unknown reason. If you by any chance have access to an oscilloscope putting it on the outputs might indicate if there is oscillation, I suspect that because you said touching the output caps changed something - that is consistent with oscillation.

Hans - I have a question based on your pics in post #321. C19 (next to LT1028) according to our graphic is a cap that was presoldered to the board but your pics show it like it has been soldered again. Did you change it or touch up the original soldering ? This cap is one essential for stability of the opamp so it seems relevant here.

One other thing that you could check would be the supply current. If there is oscillation its possible the overall supply current would increase - normally its around 120mA from +24V. Specifically, if you would check the voltage drop across R35 & R36, that normally is ~14mV. Those resistors are in series with the power supply to each LT1028 which each draw 7.5mA on average.

Last edited: