CD Transport: Laser Diode Guru?? HELP!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah sure, but it is going to be probably two weeks from now... I am away on a job and won't return until then, and then I have to shoot, photoshop and post... wish the job was very exotic and high paying...:rolleyes: but it is mundane and not so great... :(

It would be great to find the right parts at a decent price.

Thanks...

_-_-bear

Photos still will have to wait.

But I checked with my audio friend who has the same transport as I have and it is an Esoteric P-500 (apparently).

The other one is an Onkyo Integra DX-7500 (geez it's old now) which is a very good sounding transport and built like a tank.

Both have low output laser diodes I am certain.

_-_-bear

I just downloaded Onkyo's service manual. Coincidence: it uses an M-type diode like the Rohm in the previous link. A good place to start if you can get one. M-types have the advantage of a grounded case, but they need a negative voltage (to be able to reverse bias the PD).

The potentiometer is in series with the PD and goes through a 100ohm (R104) to -VEE. After lifting the old diode what you have to do is to turn it to its maximum value (measured between pins 1 and 2 of conn. P102). Adjustment for the new diode must start from that position in small increments until it starts lasing/working. Monitor LD current while doing that and never increase it more than max. indicated in the datasheet. (I know it sounds too imperative and all....:violin: but it is very easy to shave off a couple of thousands hours of the lifetime of a LD)

Just before removing the old diode you may want to note some values, for reference, that is if you still can play a disc and nobody touched the little pot before :cannotbe: :
- the voltage across R102//R103 for LD current - quite obvious
- the voltage from pin 6 of CXA1081S to -VEE (and the resistance) -> this gives the monitoring (PD) current.
Normally we expect ILD to increase over time while IPD will remain relatively constant.

Let us know how it worked out!
Bonne chance!

bear:

if it's of any value, i MIGHT have some optical parts leftover from my DX-5700 (the model under the 7500); same optics iirc. won't be able to check for a couple weeks since i'm in another state at the moment.
dx-5700 was tank-like also, i still miss it ...

mlloyd1

bear said:
... The other one is an Onkyo Integra DX-7500 (geez it's old now) which is a very good sounding transport and built like a tank...
-bear

sidiy said:
Adjustment for the new diode must start from that position in small increments until it starts lasing/working.

Ups! Not by incrementing the value (duh! it is already at max.) What I meant by is that by slowly decreasing it the optical power will increase. Don't worry if nothing happens at the begining i.e. LD current keeps staying low. When it reaches the threshold it will rise significantly and from there on you have to pay attention....

Sidiy, can you send me the link to download the service manual??

That would be helpful...

Good deal on figuring that bit out for me! I will start to look at some catalogs and see if I can find the proper "M" type diode.

Would be great if all I need to do is to find one and put it in, adjust and go! WHEEEEE!!!

Mlloyd1, sounds promising... I'm interested in it since I actually bought a second Onkyo, then opened up the transport (after it died) and I think I have lost the laser assembly since then (dumb, eh?) so it would be nice to make two of them live again...

Seems like I will be back sooner than expected, this weekend, so I will take pics of the Esoteric innards and the Onkyo innards and post them (at least for reference).

_-_-bear

The service manual is here, download link is at the bottom of the page: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/3561/Onkyo_DX-7500.html
If you have any problems e-mail me; it's a .rar file (1.6Mb) and I can sent it your way.

To adjust the power easily I would suggest moving the trimpot from the sledge to the main pcb to allow the servos to do their job (you can use the existing flex connectors, no extra wiring is necessary).... Seems pretty simple from the comfort of my chair :D

If you get the mechanical position right when installing the diode (so it falls into the focus servo range) then it is only a matter of increasing the optical power until the signal on the detecting photodiodes (A, B, C,...) has enough amplitude to be processed by the decoder. I wouldn't start by touching the servo / focus trimmers... at least at the begining.

I'm not sure about the numbers but if the current through the LD has reached a level that corresponds to more than, say 2mW (you need the datasheet) then it means that the servo can't focus the beam and you have to reposition the diode. I would not increase the power indefinitely...it only shortens diode life.

Here's a pic of the sled part of the Onkyo DX-7500 transport... disregard the screws clinging to the end of the magnet...

More pix to come...

Any info or availability is appreciated...

_-_-bear

Attachments

• dx-7500-sled.jpg
    dx-7500-sled.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 205
This is a bit hard to see but this is what the underside of the transport assembly looks like with the laser sled and laser head plopped back into place... sitting on top of the main chassis...

The dirt is from sitting out for a few years under a bench and feeling hopeless. There is another one that is all together, awaiting resurrection. :D

_-_-bear

Attachments

• dx-7500-under-tnspt.jpg
    dx-7500-under-tnspt.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 186
hmmm

bear ....

i think beyond trying to understand how the laser diode works ... and then replace the diode ... you will need to know also how the rest of the oprtical system works ...

on the onkyo case it seems to me by the condition of the device that the laser diode might be in perfect condition .... though if the lens inside ( not the outer ....the inner prism ) is dirty then no laser diode will make it work .... dirt is more serious trouble to an optical device than laser diode warn ....

inside there is almost impossible to clean ..... at least so many times i try it never worked again ....

as about the kss 151 its comonly available here in greece since its working also in the very popular cd player TEAC VRDS 10 it might be still available in your local TEAc shop ...

as about the onkyo ....rings a far away bell ....it seems to me that ive seen it before but cant remember where ....

i will check for the KSS 151 prize here and let you know

regards sakis

bear:

just passing on more friendly advice regarding the onkyo ...
while you have it open, you might as well replace the spindle motor.
that seems to be a weak point in all the nice onkyo (integra series) cd players i've owned (dx5700, dx6800, dx706). i've seen similar comments on this board and others.

maybe you can investigate to see if there is a way to get one of those nice sony spindle motors into an onkyo. i'm tired of mabuchi ...

:)

mlloyd1
ps - i'll look for the dx5700 parts this weekend when i return to il.

Sidiy,

Yes, please do check to see if the KSS-151 is available there.
Let me know... email via the click box below is good, or better via my WWW link below... thanks.

Does the VRDS 7,8, or 9 also use the same assembly??

Do not be concerned about the condition of that Onkyo!
I took it apart to investigate some years back. I have a complete one that is all clean and together. The problem on both is the same, it has gone "blind" and no longer reads the disc, as most do, they start by skipping and then not reading some discs, finally not reading most discs... So that one is just to see what was inside. Don't worry, I could clean it perfectly, but I don't need to. ;)

mlloyd1,

Thanks on that Onkyo. I have had no failure on the spindle motor for either unit so far... I'd have to look at how the motor drives the spindle IF I get the laser working again and it reads properly. Then I'll worry about it... :D

Well, I hope you all liked the photos anyhow... :rolleyes:

_-_-bear

Hello bear,
I will kindly defer to sakis the task of finding the price and availability of the KSS-151A in Greece :)

And sakis is right about it, the laser diode may be alive and kicking but the external signal photodiodes might be 'blind' due to dust or misalignment (either mechanical or due to aging of electronic parts in and around the CXA1081 - some of those gains might have changed)

I think that at this point some testing on the 'clean' Onkyo is indeed necesary.

You need to hook a V-meter across R102 and press Play - without loading a disk. While making several attempts to find a CD the uP should turn the laser on. Read the max. voltage and find if there's any useful current through the LD (> 30 -35mA). At the same time a videocamera on nightmode might help you see if there's any light 'coming out'. (no, it's not a beam shaped line like in SF movies ;) )

I think that screw-in type of package is restricting the list of suppliers to service centers and such :xeye:

As I said ignore the dirty one's pictures, they are just for reference.

When you say "external signal photodiodes" what are your referring to?

I'll do the suggested check... I am pretty sure it makes some light.

When you say screw in package I assume you are referring to the manner in which the assembly mounts into the plastic frame? I suppose this could be a problem, but as you can see from the pix where I show the laser diode, it is easy to get at it and replace it.

I looked at some CDR computer transports that were "extra" and found that they are epoxying in the Laser Diodes these days... :(
I was hoping I would have been able to pull one of them. That was a few years ago... fyi. The nice part of the Onkyo's construction is that it isn't epoxied in place.

I was able to check the Esoteric transport using my digital camera, it saw the laser light up no problem. Still doesn't read properly.

It looks to my eye that Sony is using the same "head" assembly with different side boards with different pinouts and headers for different models (the transport part is different, but so what) ... so I may order up a few inexpensive Sony replacements and have a go at it that way.

I downloaded the VRDS 7 & 9 .rar files from esservice but they seem to be corrupted, I was hoping to see if the driver, laser and setup were the same as the Esoteric...

that was ...

actually very easy the kss151 is comonly available in greece after all and was easy to locate by the first phonecall ...it will cost the astronomical figure of 18 euros

two things bother me though one that the prize is actually too low which might mean that the product is not really a good quality thing ....( the importer say that is excelent quality )

the second thing is that kss 151 comes in two types one with 17 pins and the other with 18 ( if i remember correct ) so you need to let me know what do you want and i can ship it for you ....

best regrads sakis

bear said:

When you say "external signal photodiodes" what are your referring to?

These are the photodiodes marked as A, B, C,... on the schematic. I called them external since they're not housed in the same package as the LD. In this case the optical path might be changed/obstructed in some way...

I hope I'm not confusing you, here is a case where the signal photodiodes are inside the same package. Sorry for the quality...

Attachments

• ld_inside_c.jpg
    ld_inside_c.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 155
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.