CD players that beg modification

Sounds like those players would be better off donating their audio boards to a higher purpose.
nec_cd803_100.png

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like those players would be better off donating their audio boards to a higher purpose.
I may have recovered some parts :)

Those Denon's are hard work though, I've had four; one that worked OK, one donor that didn't read discs, another complete failure to read,... and the remaining DVD5000 ONLY plays CD's

Not great odds but if you can find a broken one on "that auction site" then they do make good DAC's

Andy

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I'll add my 2d's worth.
The Cambridge Audio CD2 and CD3. Very similar in layout, with separate boards as requested. The CD2 has a couple issues (display weakness and sometimes DAC overheating) so keep them well ventilated. Both equipped with Philips swing arm mechs. The sound from either is great as standard, with simple mods, it’s outstanding for the money, though they are becoming more rare on the market.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
rf, that's a good idea. Even decent isolation mountings would be worth a try. The casings on both leave a bit to be desired and do no favours to the machines. I have both, and a slightly upgraded CD2 bested a Marantz CD7 in our shootout. The CD3 does have much better (CAD) layed out PCB's, whereas the CD2's are the old hand drawn (with black tape) type.

Yes, there are a number of wonderful Sony's, but mech availability is an issue for the magnetic rail type.