CD player skips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

My Denon DCD3560 suddenly has got a strange behaviour.

It sounds like when a turntable plays scratched vinyls, the sound "jumps to the next groove". The display also jumps from let's say 2minutes 37 secs to 2 min 45 secs.
What may be the reason and is there a DIY repair trick for this?

It is at least 8 years old, got it second hand from someone who had not used it for 3 years before I purchased it. I have had it for one year without problems, just started some days ago.
Happens in the first or middle or last tracks, no pattern.
Lens looks clean and shining, no visible dirt or dust.
I think I will let professionals look at it.

klitgt said:
Laser head cleaning CD???
:whazzat:
Is it brushing the lens or how does such a CD work?:confused:
Yes! It has some little soft brushes on the playing side. This there are some instructions as the CD plays. The brushes brush the lens as the CD plays particular tracks.

Leolabs said:
Looks like some sort of tracking coil problem on the lens,think is time to do some alignment

How often is alignment required? I have heard about this before but never sent one in. One of my players is starting to skip on older disks.

hanszl2001 said:
Clean the rod the laserunit slides on and the worm wheel as well and tip it slightly with silicone grease, it worked for me.
I might give this a try myself.

I posted a similar thread on a local Danish forum where some people who know the DCD3560 are very productive. They all say that all the above suggestions last for a short period, but the only way out of it is to let an authorized technicinan take care of a replacement of the laser.

klitgt said:
I posted a similar thread on a local Danish forum where some people who know the DCD3560 are very productive. They all say that all the above suggestions last for a short period, but the only way out of it is to let an authorized technicinan take care of a replacement of the laser.

I might be mistaken but isn't it the DO IT YOURSELF. audio.com your posting to instead of the "authorizedtechnician/will/you/fixit/for/me".com?

:smash:

hanszl2001 said:

I might be mistaken but isn't it the DO IT YOURSELF. audio.com your posting to instead of the "authorizedtechnician/will/you/fixit/for/me".com?

:smash:

Correct, it is a DIY forum. Then why has nobody so far told me how to manage the problem except giving suggestions to a number of short lasting "repairs"?
Or told me how to replace a laser?:bawling:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If my book is correct, the laserunit is a KSS151A.
Let me be honest with you, this is not the kind of laserunit to replace yourself if you're not used to work on machines like this. IIRC there's some fine soldering work to do.
Try to find a decent service center and ask the price first.
All this of course assuming you are not used to do this job.
Which doesn't mean you could see it as a project and learn a lot...

/Hugo :)

Attachments

• kss151a.jpg
    kss151a.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 256
klitgt said:

Correct, it is a DIY forum. Then why has nobody so far told me how to manage the problem except giving suggestions to a number of short lasting "repairs"?
Or told me how to replace a laser?:bawling:

I think you start with short term solutions to determine what the problem is. This is really experience you gain through DIY. I just had the laser for a SCSI 7 disk CD player. I must have kept this machine for over 10 years, maybe close to 20, after trying to DIY, and finally got it fixed for less than $100.

Hi klitgt,

I also think you should try fixing this unit yourself and take it as a learning project. No one could teach you and told you exactly what to do to get your CD player going, we can only give some general advises which could be helpful if you have basic understanding how to follow our hints.

I have already mentioned 3-4 times on forums how to check the eye-pattern which will tell you if your laser is due for replacement or not. Find the test point on the PCB labelled RF and check the eye-pattern. You’ll need the CRO for this. If it is to low, increase the laser output by turning the little trim-pot located on the pick-up itself clockwise for 20 degrees at the time. This usually fixes the problem (for another couple of years.)

You should also get the circuit diagram, study for a while the circuitry and have basic understanding on the signal flow in a CD player, servo control, RF, DSP, DAC's (and analog stages with filtering) and power supplies.

If you send us the circuit diagram of the digital section through we might be able to help you even further.

No need to go to service to get job properly done, you can do it yourself!

Good luck,
Extreme_Boky

Extreme_Boky said:

I have already mentioned 3-4 times on forums how to check the eye-pattern which will tell you if your laser is due for replacement or not. Find the test point on the PCB labelled RF and check the eye-pattern. You’ll need the CRO for this. If it is to low, increase the laser output by turning the little trim-pot located on the pick-up itself clockwise for 20 degrees at the time. This usually fixes the problem (for another couple of years.)

Good luck,
Extreme_Boky

What's CRO?:confused:

Which direction do you normally turn the trim pot? It seems one of my players need a trim now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.