CD Clock circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oshifis,jean-paul,
Thank you guys.
As this thread evolves the differences in opinions becomes more obvious.That's OK.
I've heard a tda1543 based dac.It sounded smooth, refined, but lacked a bit in treble. I want to have that kind of smoothness but not the laid back treble. Is that possible with this cd player?
And, jean-paul I'll check the freq. of the clock.Did you take look at the clock circuit at the beginning of the thread?
Keep it coming guys.I really appreciate your input.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Opinions won't help you as they can vary a lot. Some things are pretty wellknown and proven though. I modded countless cd players also in the expensive range and I am quite sure of some things like omitting muting transistors. Muting relays are way better for the sound quality, bipolar transistors are a low cost non linear solution.

Yes, I took a look at the clock circuit but I normally work with proven clock modules of certain manufacturers and when we're on a budget I use canned oscillators with good specs. With either of those and a Flea power supply or a FleaDIY PCB you can't go wrong. It will set you back for about 50 Euro max. The advices QUANTORIX gave are adequate except for the advice not to upgrade the clock (IMO).

I think you could gain experience yourself by trying out stuff on a cd player that is not expensive like the CD210 as there is a risk of breaking stuff when you are starting with this stuff.

- Always work antistatic and tidy (no big PIO/Obbligato caps with long antenna wires in digital gear).

- No rats nests please, short wiring and good decoupling of power lines.

- Keep the cover off as long as need and cover the cd player with a cloth when you are done. Listen again the next day and continue the search for good sound.

- Do not more than 1 mod at a time

- try to improve shielding in old plastic Philips cdplayers

- dampening the plastic and metal covers with self adhesive "bitumen" is beneficial too

- replace all old electrolytic caps for Pana FC/FM. Very good and not expensive.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.