• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cascoded 12AX7 LTP - Stupid good performance?

Now that's a very good question. So its to do with getting high NFB. The plate resistors and capacitance of more stages add lag both at HF and LF (coupling caps). I am driving more load too (2x6550 and 47K). The combination seemed to me that a buffer stage was more appropriate. Like you I decided to use some SS anyway. The primary capacitance of the OPT is important to model as well as the leakage inductance, and I found that stability could become an issue. The aim was to maintain as much bandwidth as possible up to the OPT. There is more than one approach. What you have done looks good - my only comment would be you may need to add dominate pole into the design - I put this between the jfet gates as here it does not affect slew rate. You may also need some pole - zero cancellation to get the LF stable.

Last edited:
Screenshot (78).png
This was the previous amp, there was only just enough gain for the 18dB FB to work, but here the cascade is a pentode.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Now that's a very good question. So its to do with getting high NFB. The plate resistors and capacitance of more stages add lag both at HF and LF (coupling caps). I am driving more load too (2x6550 and 47K). The combination seemed to me that a buffer stage was more appropriate. Like you I decided to use some SS anyway.

I’ve simulated a similar approach, with cathode followers, which indeed allows me to get rid of one set of coupling caps, the THD goes up by a factor of 20x though, which seemed counterproductive to me, but we all need to make choices during the design, so I totally understand.

The primary capacitance of the OPT is important to model as well as the leakage inductance, and I found that stability could become an issue. The aim was to maintain as much bandwidth as possible up to the OPT. There is more than one approach. What you have done looks good - my only comment would be you may need to add dominate pole into the design - I put this between the jfet gates as here it does not affect slew rate. You may also need some pole - zero cancellation to get the LF stable.

Wholeheartedly agree, I should have the prototype finished by next week which will allow me to check and modify the simulation and work towards a design with the least amount of compromises. Suggestions are welcome by the way, even small tweaks left and right. Thanks!

If your getting sub .3% then don't forget LTSpice is using perfectly matched 12ax7. Its also possible to get distortion cancellation between different stages. So the design may look very good in LtSpice. You could try for example a 12ax7 on one side and a 5751 on the other for mismatch. Certainly the cathode follower with a E88CC should be pretty low distortion.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
If your getting sub .3% then don't forget LTSpice is using perfectly matched 12ax7. Its also possible to get distortion cancellation between different stages. So the design may look very good in LtSpice. You could try for example a 12ax7 on one side and a 5751 on the other for mismatch. Certainly the cathode follower with a E88CC should be pretty low distortion.

Yes, of course, I lose a few zeros but the performance is still better than the version without the cascode. Also the CCS at the bottom does correct small differences between the two triodes both in the input stage and the intermediate stage.

REF is .4v reference when operating at startup -.6v. This make sure the grids remain negative until warmed up. The grid is driven through 100k resistor from GRID. The cathode is connected to CATH with a current setting resistor to ground. Current = .4v/Rset. Vpos is about 12v. Vneg about -70v.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
REF is .4v reference when operating at startup -.6v. This make sure the grids remain negative until warmed up. The grid is driven through 100k resistor from GRID. The cathode is connected to CATH with a current setting resistor to ground. Current = .4v/Rset. Vpos is about 12v. Vneg about -70v.

Thanks, did you simulate startup behavior etc.?

Happy simulation. The diode is there so that when you go from class A into class B the bias does not drift too much. There's no easy solution to this but in practice its fine. There's also bias boards you can buy on line. I have used these too but the one I had needed the negative rail to be hum free. The PNP needs to be 120V and reasonable Hfe at low current. Think I used a KSA1013 but would have to check.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Happy simulation. The diode is there so that when you go from class A into class B the bias does not drift too much. There's no easy solution to this but in practice its fine. There's also bias boards you can buy on line. I have used these too but the one I had needed the negative rail to be hum free. The PNP needs to be 120V and reasonable Hfe at low current.

Thanks, I wasn’t planning on buying a readymade solution, where’s the fun in that? :D

Let me check all the notes I took while playing with that circuit, I remember I did some tests on it. Play with the cascode reference voltage chasing best harmonics slope, not lowest thd.

I indeed tested also U440 to improve the pairing of the jfets: You can find 6n2p well matched from russian/ucrainian sellers.