Car Audio, DIY to a low cost dang fine system the relatively easy way! (other car stuff is welcome as well)

Thanks for posting this, I am very much concerned with the internment, only one we have and it is a mess and getting worse. I have recycled(I know it does not always actually get recycled but I at least do what I can) And I have bought a great percentage of things used, all my life. I made sure my cars, no matter how modded, ran clean, including my first 510 Datsun in 1972. I have put very expensive cats on race cars where not required and bought most race tires as take offs from race teams. Been many years since I looked into Nuc power but there are far better plants that the old not so great ones in this country, far safer, cheaper, cleaner....and ways to regenerate, if that is the right term, the fuel to get a great deal more out of it. I even read the end result would be pretty easy to launch into the sun. Considering the massive amount of rockets being fired off today, very nasty things they are but I still then dang cool on the other hand....this could be not saying I know it, a viable solution to at least some of the issues.

I live in a very beautiful place but it saddens me to see retirees moving here regularly and building McMansions that was massive amounts of resources, etc....nobody needs that much space, just their blind egos.

I could go on for days about all this, I hope we wake up enough as a civilization to make it through were we are heading. Actually I believe that will happen but not sure how many will survive until then.

Rick

Electricity production Sweden 2023

Coal, natural gases and other non renewable sources are included in the "Mainly biofuels" and are under 1% of the totals.

1709973409332.png

Source: https://www.energimyndigheten.se/nyhetsarkiv/2024/minskad-elanvandning-och-elproduktion-under-2023/
https://www.scb.se/hitta-statistik/...elproduktion-efter-produktionsslag-manadsvis/

Drivers, not human, I have used many "home audio" and some pro audio drivers for a very long time, rarely bought car audio branded products as simply way over priced. I was a dealer for a few years of some very good brands and did use and sell them at the time but now only own two, Image Dynamics 1D 15 subs, which I am going to install in our RV.

One of the best values are in the RS series from Parts Express as well as SB acoustics from Madisound, here in the US at least. Its seems GRS has some good values as well that might be applicable for car audio. I did use some ribbon tweeters very successfully, mounted to the A pillar roll bar in a street/track/audio comp build I did years ago.

I have build my own crossovers from scratch but have set aside the amazing ones from a set of Rainbow Reference car audio speakers, I was a dealer and my cost was still an insane $4200 for the two way set. I went active using Yamaha build, Image Dynamics highly upgraded and labeled balance line EQ and Xovers, rack mounts in the console, and the ID DAC, 20 bit ladder DAC with 20 volt balanced outputs, over 120db dynamic range and SNR, pretty dang cool from over 25 years ago. At the time I do not think there was a better DAC on the planet, certainly not for car audio and we AB tested it against the best we could find.

All that said, huge savings on great speakers are easy to find when buying raw drivers from several great sources.

Stereo, not surround, in a vehicle, even if you want rear speakers for any reason, surround is not worth the trouble or cost.

Bi amp, Tri amp, Quad amp, etc....so much easier and better.

Canned, meaning factory crossovers that come with most anything hardly ever work for the best in a vehicle.

One of my favorite CD players back in the late 90s or early 2000's was the Eclipse 8503 but even cheaper and still great I think it was the 8554 or something like that. I went from a $20k system to under $2k using one of those HU's and still easily won the few comps I entered and anybody that heard the system I had for many many years loved it. I had Seas aluminum cone mids and tweets, Arc Audio subs and a 5 channel amp, that was it.

BUT, massive sound deadening, upholstery completely redone for best effect, very exactly placement of the drivers and proper tuning in all aspects, all left over from my main built when I was more serious into competition.

I would not build any system in a vehicle without active xover and at least 10 band parametric EQ, it can be done without but why use up so much time and energy when so much easier with them.

Rick

Sound deadening techniques, that work, period. Not to be boastful, just that I have a massive amount of experience in having beaten prior world champs, coached numerous champs, helped tens of thousands get very top quality products for very good prices and developed cut to the chase and get the best results for the level you are out to obtain with the least materials and cost and time involved (which to me is fun work so time flies by)

I am trying to find my guide used by those tens of thousands, with pictures, so I can put it up somewhere with a link to it. I had to develop it after years of writing it out, at least a million emails sent during the time I ran the business, I always answered every single one. Right now, time to take a break, my mind is on the little custom SFF computer I am putting together.

I will type it out if I cannot find it.

Rick

I may of forgotten something important about my deadening methods, and car audio in general. I was blessed to meet, sometimes compete, sometimes help install and learn from, etc some of the top people in the industry. And I listened carefully to all they said as well as hundreds of feedbacks, it not thousands, of my fellow enthusiast customers. I may of worked out a few ideas on how to do things a bit differently, sometimes better I believe, but I owe it to them for what I learned and gladly passed on. Just like my install advice for speaker placement, learned from some of the best and tried them all as well and won competitions using what I was taught. In my first two years of starting the sound deadening business and competition, traveling 20k miles a year and holding down a full time active duty Navy job, commuting, duty for 24 hours every two weeks besides regular hours and rebuilding my audio system 5 times the first year as I learned newer and better things, averaged about 4 hours sleep a night. What I do my best to make up for lack of knowledge is work my **** off and learn all I can from the best I can:)

I have always been a hobbyist first, business second, in the end it cost me a multi million dollar loss as I just did not spend the time to see to the security of the business and it was attacked but somebody I thought I could trust. MY BAD, there are bad people out there and I did not protect myself from them, I am not the victim though sure felt like it, I was part of the problem. I still choose to trust people as much as I dare in these changing times though I have little most would want to take but I have what they cannot, true love, health, and peace of mind and so much more.

Reactions: 1 user