cap for motor in Pioneer PL-50 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like the tabs are held in place by the ring, with the ring held in place by ears sort of things to the main housing.
I would remove the ring, put the bush in place, and then put the ring in the main housing.
Here in India we use the term bearing for anti friction bearings, and bush for sintered bearings and other stuff made of brass, gunmetal and so on. But crankshaft bearings are called bearings, though they are split two layered metal.
Be careful, those things are not easy to get.

Try this
Use the shaft as a guide, put the bush on the shaft, and push the whole thing into place, then put the other end of the shaft in the other bearing.
This is to be done after both are lubed up, and the bush which worked loose is to be coated with a smear of lube on the outside.
You did say the tabs are flexible...

SUCCESS!!

Thank you all for your help. The index card trick did not work,the card was insufficiently stiff, the tabs were flexible but not that flexible. I tried cardboard, that did not work either. After quite a bit of trying, I managed to pry one of the clips up. With one clip up I could easily bend the other clip by moving the entire ring assembly. The bearing went right in and I reassembled the entire thing.

After reconnecting the motor and wires, I tried the turntable. No luck, it was just as slow as before. I was about to give up, when I decided to go ahead and remove all the tape I had placed around the platter rim when I first refurbished the turntable several years ago. After removing the tape, I cleaned the rim with alcohol and also cleaned the belt for good measure.

VOILA! It runs perfectly. I do not understand why it ran fast when I first got it, but now it runs the correct speed without the tape. I am back in business.

Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.