Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I prefer Apricot by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I prefer Avocado by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi TNT, kindly clarify what you mean. Do you mean that it does not help to have an amplifier with less variation of phase response vs frequency unless I have the special speaker? And please elaborate a bit more on the special speaker, would a simple FR driver like Scanspeak 10F/8424 be good enough?

Here is my favorite

Attachments

• ThielCS2.png
    ThielCS2.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 127

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi TNT, kindly clarify what you mean. Do you mean that it does not help to have an amplifier with less variation of phase response vs frequency unless I have the special speaker? And please elaborate a bit more on the special speaker, would a simple FR driver like Scanspeak 10F/8424 be good enough?

What I mean is that typically a multiway speaker has so much phase variation that compared, it dwarfs a typical amplifier.

But yes - a single FR driver might be in the same territory so... :)

//

Yes, doomed to a list of personal opinions and it is interesting to observe the ones that are attacked the hardest.

In this case the personal opinion part was indeed what i was asking for, as the general concept for accepted scientific evidence should be already known. Of course not known to each and everyone, new members are participating and some of the long term members might have been not interested before.

I was interested mainly in the additional requirements some might have (without expressing these before), a typical example would be one of the first answers mentioning "no financial interest..." .

Another point was to learn if people are really demanding any kind of "blind test" if they were only willing to accept a negative result, while dismissing/neglecting any positive result.

<snip>
No big deal on the other thing but when a level of rigor is asked for it would be nice to not have it on all levels.

I don´t understand what you mean by that, could you explain?

P.S.: I´ve read your answer to the question from Pano but unfortunately it did not help my understanding

I´m also interested why you brought up the PEQS/SQAM samples in this thread, and if you have checked the "PEQS samples" for dithering too. (Last time we were talking about this - in that context i only linked the SQAM samples - and iirc you accordingly only checked the "SQAM samples" )

Last edited:
Hello all,

It has been a lot of fun in this thread and I greatly appreciate it.

Today I have closed a chapter of my playing with the hybrid tube-SS amplifier that served as a source for one of the test files. I have replaced the tube section by one of my many JFET modules and started to listen. The complete JFET + classA amplifier has ultra low distortion, mostly sub 0.001% regardless frequency, everywhere but close to full swing. As this is a DIY forum, I am attaching a complete schematics of the JFET-classA amplifier (no global NFB).

After a sighted listening (unfortunately a DBT is difficult to make right now :)), I can say that the JFET-classA version has a bit more clarity and cleanliness, compared to the hybrid amplifier, especially when playing loud. However, it was a nice exercise with the tube hybrid :).

Attachments

• PMA_CLASSA.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 49
Hello all,
It has been a lot of fun in this thread and I greatly appreciate it.
:D It has been fun, and there has been much interesting discussion. Thanks for going to the trouble of doing these tests.

"Accusations are occasionally made that objectivists can't hear, and conversely that subjectivists hear things that aren't there. This being the entertainment industry, I hope everyone is having a good time." NP

No problem, should I tell Markw4 that he has no business working on a DAC card unless he tries to understand DAC design at Martin Mallinson's level?

Not my area of expertise or what I spent a good part of my life thinking about. Then again, ESS evaluation boards could provide higher sound quality, IMHO. Their chips can do it, so why not be more helpful to customers?

BTW I had dinner Friday with some of Martin's friends, they said he has been posting some very interesting philosophical stuff related to design, I don't know if it is on a public forum but I'm sure you might be interested.

I'm sure a number of people would be interested in taking a look at that, if you have a link.

EDIT: With regard to your first quote above, I am playing with dac boards because I don't see anyone else doing something that I think needs to be done. I would be more than happy to hand it off some someone else providing some forward momentum continues.

Last edited:
Not my area of expertise or what I spent a good part of my life thinking about. Then again, ESS evaluation boards could provide higher sound quality, IMHO. Their chips can do it, so why not be more helpful to customers?
EDIT: With regard to your first quote above, I am playing with dac boards because I don't see anyone else doing something that I think needs to be done. I would be more than happy to hand it off some someone else providing some forward momentum continues.

Just to be clear, you were being highlighted as a counter-example to mmerrill99's "no true Scotsman" argument*, as your technical background isn't in DAC development. Carry on with your development as you see fit, expert in the field or not. :)

*Or an argument by authority, which is utterly ironic coming from mmerrill who hasn't shown any ability to design an experiment yet, nor any basic understanding of the underlying statistics/implications, which leaves one wonder why he ostends himself as an expert in the matter.

I'm sure a number of people would be interested in taking a look at that, if you have a link.

I have to ask around, we were doing the usual "what are all the other old farts doing these days".

No offense was intended, I said I admire the energy you have for this project as Dan said it was just a counter example. I had hoped there were experts here that could set up a proper DBT, I don't think not reading all of 100's of pages on how to learn how to do it myself is "willful ignorance".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.