Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I prefer Apricot by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I prefer Avocado by listening

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not feeding trolls may not be the best way to deal with them..... The conventional wisdom about not feeding trolls makes online abuse worse - The Verge

And another example of hilarious rhetoric (I still find the irony here) - have you looked at your own link to the 5 step protocol where step 5 is categorizing someone with one word - "Troll" for instance :rolleyes: I see this happening from people on one side of this discussion, only - hilarious :p Would this be an example of being "hoisted by your own petard"??

Last edited:
I guess it's quite possible to troll a troll, I saw you and Pano doing it earlier. Regards labels I think ABX protocol warrior fits you quite well ;) and Jakob for that matter

Haha, you've certainly drunk the kool-aid of the 5 step social warrior protocol without even a hint of self-reflection.

You've heard of the Overton Window, right? I would suggest this discussion is a perfect example of it

Post #2 says it all, doomed from the start.

Doomed by an answer? I mean, if it is what constitutes sufficient evidence for _him_ it is just that....

I found the link offering undithered 44.1/16 sound samples for testing (originally from Jakob).

If you had dropped me a note, i could have spare you the time for searching?!
Did you check the "PEQS-Files" or just the "SQAM-Files" ?

To me it looks like the "PEQSs" are dithered while the "SQAMs" are not (admitting having not checked all the "PEQSs" though)

Doomed by an answer? I mean, if it is what constitutes sufficient evidence for _him_ it is just that....

Yes, doomed to a list of personal opinions and it is interesting to observe the ones that are attacked the hardest. Mr Marsh has been quite clear on several occasions that he is happy with his concept of "metadata" gathered from forums, blogs, chat sites, etc. with no analysis or judgement applied ("blind', sighted, who cares) just add up the votes.

No big deal on the other thing but when a level of rigor is asked for it would be nice to not have it on all levels.

Last edited:
Sorry, to correct myself, I expect equal rigor at all levels. When someone asks me a design related question I try to help I don't send them a link to 50 pages of electronics theory and tell them if they don't want to read and understand it they are not worth talking to.

EDIT - Yes, I misspoke.

@scott & others - you have been given explanations & links for further information - maybe the explanation isn't sufficient but I haven't see any reasonable questions being asked just criticism (& abuse being hurled)?

Have you a genuine interest or just feigning interest in the workings of auditory perception & what it means for this hobby? ScottJ, Pano & some others express no interest, have you?

Last edited:
@scott & others - you have been given explanations & links for further information - maybe the explanation isn't sufficient but I haven't see any reasonable questions being asked just criticism (& abuse being hurled)?

I guess there is a fundamental block here, I'll say again I trust that you have done the homework so please outline something that might work in the context of a forum with people spread all over the globe.

I don't want to become an expert in psycho-acoustics. I was once asked to serve on a jury for medical training videos (due to my film studies). We watched open heart surgeries and kidney transplants in full detail, I still would not kibitz the doctor.

I guess there is a fundamental block here, I'll say again I trust that you have done the homework so please outline something that might work in the context of a forum with people spread all over the globe.
And I & Jakob already told multiple times both here & on other threads that including controls within the ABX test would help to evaluate results - I even gave a suggestion of a simple control that could be included in such ABX trials.
You choose to ignore or pretend not to have read this every time it is presented.

The fact of the matter is that perceptual testing of any quality cannot be done without some knowledge of the pitfalls which you choose to ignore

Hence I make the point that such blind tests are anecdotal, at best

I don't want to become an expert in psycho-acoustics.
It's a shame that you choose to ignore a bit of learning which is necessary to understand what Jakob & I have said multiple times. I wonder how you would react to the same attitude to your posts - "I don't want to become an expert in electronics - just tell me how to develop a flawless opamp"

Last edited:
Have you a genuine interest or just feigning interest in the workings of auditory perception & what it means for this hobby? ScottJ, Pano & some others express no interest, have you?
Do you mean this?:
If you are buying it that knowledge of psychoacoustics makes any difference to this test that's your problem and a scotch may be money better spent ;)

Hence I make the point that such blind tests are anecdotal, at best

Same goes for almost all tests posted on internet forums.

It's a shame that you choose to ignore a bit of learning which is necessary to understand what Jakob & I have said multiple times. I wonder how you would react to the same attitude to your posts - "I don't want to become an expert in electronics - just tell me how to develop a flawless opamp"

No problem, should I tell Markw4 that he has no business working on a DAC card unless he tries to understand DAC design at Martin Mallinson's level? BTW I had dinner Friday with some of Martin's friends, they said he has been posting some very interesting philosophical stuff related to design, I don't know if it is on a public forum but I'm sure you might be interested.

BTW - Do you make a good faith effort to understand enough general and special relativity before accepting results of things like LIGO, etc.?

Last edited:
Yes, so?

No problem, should I tell Markw4 that he has no business working on a DAC card unless he tries to understand DAC design at Martin Mallinson's level? BTW I had dinner Friday with some of Martin's friends, they said he has been posting some very interesting philosophical stuff related to design, I don't know if it is on a public forum but I'm sure you might be interested.

People operate at the level they are comfortable with based on the experience & knowledge they have achieved - they don't blame others for their lack of interest or lack of understanding as you are doing with blind testing.

Thanks, I would be interested to hear Mallinson's thoughts - we need people who have expertise in the electronics design field & can also appreciate what they don't know - as in Jakob's quoting of that book excerpts - we need people that have a depth of knowledge in both electronic design & psychoacoustics

I see you again just ignored what I said about including controls in ABX testing as you have done in the past many times - are you going to post again sometime in the future "I guess there is a fundamental block here, I'll say again I trust that you have done the homework so please outline something that might work in the context of a forum with people spread all over the globe."

BTW - Do you make a good faith effort to understand enough general and special relativity before accepting results of things like LIGO, etc.?
This is silly & a direct contradiction of your stated position - you won't accept what Jakob & I have posted about blind testing, you avoid reading the links which backup what we say & you then complain about us not giving you clarity - either read the research or accept the knowledge from some people who have read the work (Jakob more than I) - you may wish to moan about it but learning is tough (especially when you have no interest in learning about this)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.