Can a power cord affect sound quality??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to get some hate and post. I think cables could make a difference..it just depends on what you are using and how you are using it. A shielded cable could make a difference...maybe.

I personally think the only way it is going to change how your system sounds is IF you have tons of interference around your lines and that is somehow making the electrons turn into protons or something crazy like that.

Also keep in mind that most of this is fed directly to a transformer that totally alters the power signal more than any wire could hope. I would look at how clean the power from the transformer is before even considering hey I need to get a super expensive power cable. However, that one time I did use a high end power cable on my computer it did go faster....I swear it! I am not crazy!!!

Ok, not everybody can hear de diference between cables but peoples that can "realy" hear these diferences why they stop only to change the power cord cables? If you can hear a diference between cables you need to go further and to change complete wiring from you house, the wires to the power transformer, the power transformer and the power plant. I think that these peoples MUST have their own power plant. The peoples who worry about power cables and spend hundreds of $ on it but they do not have their own power plant, are stoped too early.

Michael92 said:
Also keep in mind that most of this is fed directly to a transformer that totally alters the power signal more than any wire could hope.
Of course, but you can't easily change the transformer. Tweakers change what they can, within their limited skills and understanding. At the lowest level that means cables; no skill needed, just lots of money. Once they learn to solder they change capacitors and resistors. Eventually a few of them may learn about circuits but at that point they stop tweaking because they realise that it is a waste of time and money.

This may explain why tweakers are so resistant to circuit theory; subconsciously they know that circuit theory is their enemy and will eventually destroy them by curing them of the need to tweak. The only way to avoid this fate is to resolutely refuse to learn any circuit theory and refuse to accept any of its conclusions.

To summarise this thread: once again we reach an agreement :)

The ones who actually have audio systems and have bothered to replace the powercords, do hear a difference. The rest retell their favourite stories of broken power supplies, defective amps and mass delusion. And recommend excessive amounts of ferrite. Probably in the shape of earplugs :joker:

The ones who actually have audio systems and have bothered to replace the powercords, do hear a difference. The rest retell their favourite stories of broken power supplies, defective amps and mass delusion. And recommend excessive amounts of ferrite. Probably in the shape of earplugs :joker:

Instead of mocking, you should pity us because we don't have your golden ears ;)

There is a flat earth society for people who don't believe in science.

We all have audio systems on here and yes, some of us have tried upgrade mains leads and have even passed comprehensive hearing tests.

Still found no difference, why should we?

Save it for the gullible.

Sorry but you are rather disillusioned with your reply, I have replaced and used numerous power chords with my system and have heard no difference.
Explain how a passive piece of wire that is engineered to do the job change the signal, especially the power chord, it is a passive piece of wire with some parasitics. Do you think in other areas of electronic engineering they go on about power chords like audiophiles do. if a couple of metres of copper wire between your power outlet and system affects your sound then something is WRONG.
Ah the old chestnut ferrites affect sound, what sort of ferrite, what range of frequencies is it designed for, is it a hard or soft ferrite... any actual measurements anyone wants to put forward that show the effect of ferrites on the output...No, unsubstantiated claims.

In guitar music, a power chord consists of the root note and the fifth interval.

Pete Townsend is known as the father of the power cord.

All Hail Rock and Roll!

I suspect there is 20 miles of random wire and transformers and nasty noise generators between my home and the power plant. The amplifier power supply should be designed to filter this noise to well below audible.

Attachments

• Pete_Townshend_Windmill-(jha).jpg
    Pete_Townshend_Windmill-(jha).jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.