Cables - what type for a fullrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well,the best speaker cables I had my money invested in were some simple...diy solid core cables made from coaxial antenna cable!
Believe me it made a huge difference to my Wharfedale diamonds...they now sound livelier and punchier,clearer and more dynamic!
But this is with some relatively neutral sounding speakers...fullrange speakers tend to be a bit more on the shiny side,so it all depends on everything really!
There are lots of nice mates around here that can give you a hand in your quest for cables!
but in my humble opinion,you´ll hear the difference!

I like the cat5e cables as well, here is some info on them

Humble Homemade Hifi

I am getting very good results with 6, 9 and 12 wire sets for high current applications, and if you braid them carefully they look nice too.

Here is a helpful place to read up on braiding different amounts of wires.

OPCS - Braiding Wires

I just saved up left over scraps and cutoffs from network cable installs, the only thing I had to buy was ends which you can get for a reasonable price on eBay. Make sure you allow for the extra length required due to braiding (20% or so).

Attachments

• 9 wire.jpg
    9 wire.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Pic 002vs.jpg
    Pic 002vs.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Pic 005s.jpg
    Pic 005s.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Then my own cables will suffer the same fault. How do you terminate your cables?

We use pomona dual plugs (a bit of a compromise, but we are always swapping, better than the all metal thou). For more permanent installs, bare wire. When we get real fanatical, we run the internal wires out the box and just use the binding posts as clamps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Spend your money on the drivers. Worrying about cables is like worrying about how pure the air is in your tires. Glowbug understands this.

yup...or like worrying about the air temperature and barometric pressure affecting the tuning of your BR, TL or horn.........

Cheap mains flex cable or the 'el cheapo' 79 strand speaker cable, that every shop has sold at some time or other, and
can be had for £0.40/m....i doubt youll find anything else will improve upon the basic cable, as long as the gauge is reasonable.

Last edited:
This commentary is like recommendations of what tires to buy at Walmart.

so true...after all the speaker is STILL going to be the weakest point in the audio chain, no matter what cable you use, so why spend out on expensive cable, or waste time making plaits of cat 5? Its a better idea to put the most effort into making decenty speakers in the first place, that dont require a convoluted plaiting of wire, or solid gold cable wire to tune them to sound 'good'

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.