Cable lifts! the final step to audiophile nirvana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind folks and fellow travelers, I have been reading up on cable supports/lifts lately with a morbid fascination. I understand entirely how they are pretty much cosmetic, and common sense dictates that they make practically zero audible distance. That having been said, people are obsessed with these things. Enough to where I almost think it's worth going out to the garage and making some out of scrap wood, and trying to sell them.

Interestingly, I mentioned a bit about them to the girlfriend, and explained the phenomenon of audiophile woo and insanity to her. She actually suggested that it may be worth making some for sale at a reasonable price just to see if people are interested in them, and to make a little extra hobby money. Now I'm actually interested in making some! What the heck! Something like the Cardas multi blocks, just without the side notches? Not sure. Maybe I'll make a set out of scrap hardwood with some exotic embellishments, like layers of purpleheart or other distinct hardwood?

Anybody want to have some fun and make a set too? Any suggestions on style or features?

Maybe we can go nuts and make a version with adjustable feet, speaker spikes for carpet? I found piles of weird stuff that would work, such as screw-in spikes that can be had in bulk.

Anybody want to have a ironic fun time making some of the more silly stuff just to show off at the next Burning Amp? :D

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 503
  • SuvQfQmkCx1.png
    SuvQfQmkCx1.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 491
  • 8mfMeccsz74.png
    8mfMeccsz74.png
    512.7 KB · Views: 475
  • Cable_Isolators3_grande.jpg
    Cable_Isolators3_grande.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 479
  • Cable-Lift-Finn1.jpg
    Cable-Lift-Finn1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 465
  • lift4a.jpg
    lift4a.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 235
  • lift2a.jpg
    lift2a.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 245

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, it's a known fact that when a potential is raised higher in one node, it is equalised bu a current flowing. This current is forwarded by a field that actually flows outside the actual solid conductor. Maybe obstructing this flow has an impact on the the potential equalisation and therefore in turn on the current flow? I don't believe it has an impact on the audio perceived - but still...

//

With any luck this thread might cause Evenharmonics to explode.
I didn't realize I live in your (one who's been here much longer than I) head rent free. :eek:

it may be worth making some for sale at a reasonable price just to see if people are interested in them, and to make a little extra hobby money.
I was going to suggest making them look like the high-end ones but sell at half price to drive those high-end sellers nuts but then PRR's suggestion put a damper to that.

If you do, have some veteran members here give you their take on it. Say, on your product page, "I see nothing wrong with using them, and I can see why they might make a difference." "By **** ****, the designer of *** amp!" Plus, don't forget the ongoing marketing effort such as the ones you've seen on this forum, the ones that require the poster to have very thick skin. If you don't have such skin, either grow it or make that extra hobby money some other way. ;)

Sorry, rfbrw, no (exploding) cigar.

I figure I would lend a set out for review, and ask reviewers to basically pass them along periodically? Just to amass varied reports of their use- from the benign "my wife loves them, no more tangles of wire on the floor" to "never before has the soundtrack to Spinal Tap felt so ethereal, the track Big Bottom brought me to tears"

I'm thinking of a 3" square base with roundover on all the edges, 3/4" thick or so, with either speaker spikes for carpet use, or cork/rubber feet for hardwood/tile floor use. A central, tapered raised pillar with either a single notch, or two notches depending on desired use. Maybe a smaller 2" square base "micro" version for desktop use or smaller cables like RCAs?

Maybe a hollow cutout in the base for a weight (2-3oz fishing sinker") for some applications?

This brainstorming is fun :)

Last edited:
I understand entirely how they are pretty much cosmetic, and common sense dictates that they make practically zero audible distance. That having been said, people are obsessed with these things. Enough to where I almost think it's worth going out to the garage and making some out of scrap wood, and trying to sell them.

So you deem them useless... but you're still willing to sell them to gullible audiophiles?

Audiophiles, especially the Golden Ear crowd, already have enough problems without people preying upon their delusions.

(Yes I know this is a joke... but I do feel sorry for those who will take it seriously)

Last edited:
I'm thinking of a 3" square base with roundover on all the edges, 3/4" thick or so, with either speaker spikes for carpet use, or cork/rubber feet for hardwood/tile floor use. A central, tapered raised pillar with either a single notch, or two notches depending on desired use. Maybe a smaller 2" square base "micro" version for desktop use or smaller cables like RCAs?

Maybe a hollow cutout in the base for a weight (2-3oz fishing sinker") for some applications?

Don't forget to have them polished with unobtanium stones by the virgins of Valhalla.

Status
Not open for further replies.