Burning Amp BA-3

Quick question on capacitor voltage...I see this can be built anywhere between 24 and 32 volt rails but the caps in the build sheet are 25v (both on FE and bias boards). If the JFETS are seeing 24 or 32v and they are after the caps, what voltage do the caps see?

I don't know the math, but just assuming that at 24v rails, with 25v caps, the caps must be seeing less than half of their rating otherwise you wouldn't use them.

If I am using 32v rails, I just want to be sure I am buying the right value caps. Thanks!

Good morning from Italí and merry xmas everybody.

Quick (not so quick maybe...) question, I actually listen through my vintage setup, AR SP9 preamp, dual KT88 power amp, JBL L220, sources an unused Michell Girodec, Sony ES505 and LossLess digital through a MacMini -> Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, nothing great but sounds pretty ok.

I am gonna upgrade the power amp to a FW F4, got the case, boards and FETs, next month transformers (gonna be dual mono) and caps, it will be a skilled tech to put it all together and hopefully a step above in listening pleasure which will not make me regret putting tubes away.

After long preamble I would like to add a pre to the F4 and move the Audio Research to a second setup (I will have either the KT88 or an old upgraded Adcom GFA535) to give voice to my old JBL4311b and thought of the BA-3 to match the F4, how difficult is to put it all together and what's the BOM to get an idea of final cost and, last but no least, is it gonna be a better match and/or an improvement off the old SP9?

Grazie

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The BA-3 and the F4 are a lovely match.

As an example; Nelson paired them together. The BA-3 amplifier is essentially an F4 amplifier with a BA-3 front-end. :)

I can't comment re: sound quality comparisons.

Happy Holidays!

Edited to add - you can find some example BoMs and a number of other wonderful ideas in the thread linked below. People configure them in a number of ways. The chassis and the PSU (and perhaps potentiometers and input switching) will likely be the most expensive parts and are up to your preferences. So, it could be done relatively inexpensively, or... not... Some people spend more on capacitors than I might for an entire build. :D

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-ba-3-as-preamp-build-guide.258022/

Just finished up testing new BA-3 front end boards I made. Came out good. Just need to put them in a chassis now.
PSX_20220228_155845.jpg

I built one of these a while ago and never got it working right. The first issue I have is too much voltage from my power supply and I am not sure what do with it or manage it. I was aiming for 32v rails, so I started with dual 24v transformer. I am using XRKs Smooth Like Butter power supply, and it was mentioned that the PS accounts for a 3v drop. Additionally, I read about Anteks and voltage sag under load, so I got an Antek dual 28v transformer. Two actually, since the amp is dual mono. Turns out, under load, I am getting 34 - 36v per rail. Unloaded, I get about 36-38v, with one rail even at 40v. The SLB PS does not have much voltage adjustment range, so either I need new transformers or I have to adjust the amp to account for it. Thoughts?

The other issue is a pulsing noise coming from the voltage stage but I will come back to that later.

Reactions: 1 user
Thx!! I completely skipped over the fact that I would've needed a bipolar regulator lol. I bought two different kinds as they are cheap enough, and I'll try them both in case one sounds or works better than the other. Though as most of them come from China, it'll be about 2 weeks (maybe more) before I see the second pair.