Burning Amp BA-3

Joined 2003
Paid Member
No I don't expect that and I did not make such request!

If you read my post until the end I asked if someone had already made such experiment.

I am no expert, but I plan on a pair of balanced BA-3 mono blocks, in 5U chassis, and 32 volt rails. (couldn't be happier with how it worked out with my "regular" BA-3) Parts collecting has already started, but lack of Deluxe chassis in store is holding up my F-6, which comes first!

Russellc

Are you seriously expecting some other Members to build both versions for you so that your can hear their subjective opinion on the perceived audible differences?

Always the same member wanting to quarrel.

= build both and compare for you !

Why he should do? If someone else had tryed this different combinations
and share his knowledge.

A characteristic intelligent People have, is to learn from the mistakes and or expierences other People had made.
A Question would not harm anybody
And if nobody have done this before he anyway have to do it by himself

So what's all this fuss about?

Always the same member wanting to quarrel.

Why he should do? If someone else had tryed this different combinations
and share his knowledge.

A characteristic intelligent People have, is to learn from the mistakes and or expierences other People had made.
A Question would not harm anybody
And if nobody have done this before he anyway have to do it by himself

So what's all this fuss about?

Don't waste your time...

Hi Guys, Merry Christmas !
I got my BA 3'S working and running well!
I used Jan's super regs @15v to power the +- front end,and got a variac on the SE 6 fet amp,I am running at 24v CAN heat a room with this thing,LOL.
Now I am ready to roll on up to 32V and see how it goes BUTT,I thought I might ask how's this worked out for people that have built and tested it ,
All comments and suggestion are welcomed !
Peace to ALL !
NS

I used Jan's super regs @15v to power the +- front end,and got a variac on the SE 6 fet amp,I am running at 24v CAN heat a room with this thing,LOL.
Now I am ready to roll on up to 32V and see how it goes BUTT,I thought I might ask how's this worked out for people that have built and tested it ,
Peace to ALL !
NS

32V for the front end and output stage or just the output stage?

You might need less bias on the output stage due to the heat increase.

For the front end I am interested to see how you are going to get 32V out of the super reg. The super reg requires a 5V drop which puts the secondary voltages at 37V or more. Choice of IC in the super reg becomes an issue...the usual choices are 36V max I think. Also, make sure your caps are 40V+ rated.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Peace to ALL !
NS

I used a 24 volt transformer (as did 6L6 in his build thread) which of course gives about 32 volts for everything and it works fantastic. It is in a U5 chassis and heat is no problem. Makes more power as well according to 6L6, 40+ watts instead of 25. I love this amp. Mine is complementary, not SE output stage. I did use 50v caps as well.

I plan on building 2 BBA-3 Mono blocks I liked these so much! I much prefer the BA-3 to my F-5, although both are very nice.

Russellc

Last edited:
Hi Hikari1 and Russellc,
I have the super regs running the front end only,15 Volts.
The amp has it's own power supply 32volts.
I have 50 volts caps also,I'm going to try it out tonight !
I like the sound from the F5 also so maybe a treat with the BA-3.
Thanks alot for your suggestions !
NS

Hi Hikari1 and Russellc,
I have the super regs running the front end only,15 Volts.
The amp has it's own power supply 32volts.
I have 50 volts caps also,I'm going to try it out tonight !
I like the sound from the F5 also so maybe a treat with the BA-3.
Thanks alot for your suggestions !
NS

I don't think the front end will be happy at 15V. I think it will sound better with an unregulated 32V supply than a regulated 15V supply.

Also, it's pretty easy to adjust the super reg to 24V using your 32V supply. Just need to change to a AD817 IC and change two resistors assuming you have 35V or higher caps in the super reg.

Hi Hikari1,
I'll try it both ways and see how it sounds,I might eliminate the super regs altogether and use the gain stages power supply as original schematic specifies,
I built the front ends first and used the super regs to power them ,they do have plenty of gain and are very quiet ,I have ran the ba-3 front end on a F5 and a Aleph J sound is very good.
Thanks for your suggestion,
I built the super reg stock so 25V caps,Those can be changed out ,and will change the resistors also.
Have a GREAT day!
NS
My time is getting shorter lately with the holidays but I hope to get it going soon

Hi guys, guess who's back with more noob questions :D

1. Double output boards, do I connect them in series or in parallell?
2. Space saving mounting suggestions for double output boards on the heatsinks are very welcome.
3. I'm planning a WAF-friendly remote start with a 12V relay powered from the pre amp. Is it ok to power the speaker protection board from the same supply?

Thanks in advance :)