Burning Amp 2023!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Redwood City BAF was one of the best IMHO! We got a great turnout (geeks in Silicon Valley? Who woulda thought!)

It was possible because a member who is a loyal BAF participant, was working for a software company in that building. He asked the management if we could have our meeting there and they said yes! Amazing really, as the desks all had expensive headphones and amps and they just gave us the place! Also helped that there were small rooms in the center that were only normally used for meetings. Plus a beer tap and a kitchen!

We carefully put tape on each chair and desk with numbers so we could use the chairs and then return them to the correct location. Not only were no headphones lost, but most of the employees didn’t realize that anything had taken place, and complained they hadn’t been notified of the date!

Unfortunately the next year they had reorganized the open areas and occupied the rooms, (or came to their senses) and couldn’t do it again. I don’t think the company still exists at this point.

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To just suggest that BAF get another venue, or use different cities isn’t helpful. The problem is finding a specific place that has various medium sized rooms. Most venues only supply large rooms. We only need one large room and about 5 or 6 smaller ones.

If you know of any such place in the Bay Area that could work we’d be fascinated to hear about it!

Reactions: 1 user
there's no Walgreens to buy Tylenol in, etc.
Speaking as a local: There's one not far from Ft. Mason on Bay, but the Safeway across the street has the normal stuff. :D
If you want to avoid the ... shall we say, more challenging aspects of urban life in SF, you'll want to avoid these parts of the city (my subjectively, poorly, not very accurately drawn map). Fort Mason is that green bit on the water above where it says "Lombard Street".

Having lived in Chicago for many years, I'm with @chromenuts on this. SF is not that much worse than most US cities in terms of crime or "filth" or whatever. MOST of the city is better than average, IMO. However, it has the unique problem of having (apparently) tourist-friendly areas in close walking distance from the areas you want to avoid. In most cities, there are a few blocks of transition where things get noticeably more "scary" or at least unappealing, before you hit anything really scary.

In SF it's as if they play the trailer to The Exorcist before Bambi. You can be offered street drugs waiting for the light to change, and literally 3 minutes later be shopping at Nordstrom. This does not really happen in other cities.

It gives the city a more messed up reputation than it deserves, which is not to say the reputation is 100% undeserved.

e: Vacant office / commercial space is actually not a bad idea. The city is actually giving away money for "pop-ups" right now. With the right massaging, BA could be conceived as a "pop-up" if there is a public / "show" area of some kind? The drawback: you'd be right down there in that big red triangle I drew. ;)

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 6.53.06 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ft. Mason is pretty awesome, though. I'd much rather be there and pay more than be stuck in some hotel ballroom/bunker. Then again, I'd imagine there's a university in the area with rooms and a nice campus (within walking distance of downtown, ideally).

Tom
How expensive is the Asilomar conference center in Monterey? ...or any other venue sufficiently far from SF?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
https://www.marinij.com/2023/04/25/west-marins-marconi-center-begins-long-renovation-project/
"Perched above Highway 1 near Marshall, the Marconi Conference Center State Historic Park is now used primarily as a retreat and conference center, along with hosting weddings and weekend getaways."

Yes, THAT Marconi! How fitting would that be?? Maybe not this year, but some time in the long distant future, when Burning Amp is much smaller and quieter, like before it moved into the Big City?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
To just suggest that BAF get another venue, or use different cities isn’t helpful. The problem is finding a specific place that has various medium sized rooms. Most venues only supply large rooms. We only need one large room and about 5 or 6 smaller ones.

If you know of any such place in the Bay Area that could work we’d be fascinated to hear about it!

How about Asilomar YMCA?

https://www.visitasilomar.com/

It’s in Monterey though, but it also fixes lodging.

I’m an idiot, just saw MJ’s post.
I stayed at Asilomar many times and back then it was Monterey’s best kept, not so secret, secret.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
For those potential-attendees whose BAF trip would begin in places north of the Golden Gate, such as Sea Ranch or Auburn for example, moving the BAF venue further south increases the chances those folks won't come.

And of course the reverse is true of people from the south. But I wanted to specifically mention Sea Ranch and Auburn for some reason.

Reactions: 3 users
Asilomar would add easily another hour each way to Nelson's trip from Auburn; Google says 3h15/218 miles compared with 2h17/128 miles to Fort Mason. I think 3h15 is optimistic: weekends 101 is jammed because everyone goes to the outlet malls in Gilroy, so add another 20/30 minutes.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The City of Santa Rosa has several event spaces they rent. I found the rate :snail: s for the Finley Community Center I previously posted and it's way too expensive. However, there are other more affordable options like the Steele Lane Community Center. I haven't checked others.
I grew up around the corner on Meyers Dr. That used to be a church.