Burn In speakercable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ideally, if there is an administrator, that person is isolated as well. Even if the administrator doesn't know the answers, I suppose he could have an opinion which can cause him to 'bad vibe' you into making poor choices... So have another believer administer the test. Someone who wants you to succeed, maybe because they were also bilked into buying these cables.
If someone was bad vibe-ing me, I wouldn't want them there either. Do the test by yourself, or with other believers. If the test is done correctly, it will still produce accurate results.

When I did one for myself, believe me, I was motivated to hear a difference between two pieces of gear (and then show others). However, under true DBT conditions, I was unable to hear what I thought I 'knew' was there. I then had the choice to own up, or bury my head. Guess what I did?

Do you have the courage to admit you don't know what you thought you did either? Or, perhaps you are correct! A million bucks awaits you!

Again, a correctly administered double blind test prevents these types of bias. No single result is ever counted as valid - there's a 1:1 chance of success by simply guessing. There must be a clear trend among many different samples.

<snip>
[/URL]

It is an argument based on statistical reasons. A common decision thresholds for this sort of tests is SL=0.05 (or<=0.05 in most cases to be correct); that means the nill hypothesis in the test will be rejected (means the test result is accepted as positive) if the chance to get the number of correct answers by pure guessing is <= 5% .

(Due to the discrete structure of the possible number of correct answers the accepted probability of error type 1 will be lower than 5% more ~3.8%)

So the probability of zero (false) positives is very low, if thousands of tests would have been conducted.

Wishes

<snip>
When I did one for myself, believe me, I was motivated to hear a difference between two pieces of gear (and then show others). However, under true DBT conditions, I was unable to hear what I thought I 'knew' was there. I then had the choice to own up, or bury my head. Guess what I did?

<snip>

Have you tried to find out what a difference you would have been able to detect in that test?

I´d guess it was your first blind test back then?

Wishes

Using your Galileo analogy, it would be like pointing one telescope at his alleged sighting, and placing an identical telescope next to it, looking in the same direction, but with the lens cap still in place. ...
If no one, including Galileo, was able to discern a difference between the two sights using sight alone - beyond random guessing - it could then be concluded that Galileo was erroneous in his claim that he could 'see' something.
:D I think that in that case one could conclude that Galileo couldn't see at all, and was in fact as blind as a bat. What Galileo saw, or claimed to see, was a small bulbous extrusion from Jupiter, occuring periodically. Any sighted person could of course tell if the lens cap was on, because they wouldn't have seen Jupiter at all.

I think the generally accepted rule is that 8-10 correct answers in a row will get down below a 3% probability of guessing.

Actually, I was VERY motivated to 'prove' my PS-Audio DAC with all the mods at about $2K was easily detectable over a cheap 'ZERO' DAC from China worth about $150. (I had raved earlier about the PS Audio being so much cleaner and resolving, etc.) Took me a while to get the test conditions correct, but once I did, I three different tests with 3 different songs (different artist, recording, genre, etc.).
I couldn't tell anything beyond random with two songs. With the third, I was scoring 7 or 8 out of 10 pretty consistently. Not perfect but the result suggested there may be a very slight audible difference. I posted the results, and several others weren't able to tell a difference either.

Interestingly, All of this was about simply being able to hear the tiniest difference, not even 'which was better sounding.'
I owned up, bit the bullet, and sold the PSA a few days later. at least I got what I paid for it!

That was my first DBT. I guess for me and others to 'hear' a difference, there would need to BE an audible difference.

The measurements using software weren't even close, each unit was very different. At first I thought telling the difference would be simple. Not so.

I have done some testing on a few different cable brands, vs. some I soldered up myself. There weren't even measurable differences, let alone audible. The cables were way too short for capacitance or anything else to be a factor.

Last edited:
:D I think that in that case one could conclude that Galileo couldn't see at all, and was in fact as blind as a bat.
LOL Well, yeah, I suppose... I used it as a hypothetical simplification of a DBT. In our usage a DBT can prove nothing EXCEPT an ability or lack of to hear a difference between two otherwise identical samples of audio with the only variable being the item tested.

:D I think that in that case one could conclude that Galileo couldn't see at all, and was in fact as blind as a bat. What Galileo saw, or claimed to see, was a small bulbous extrusion from Jupiter, occuring periodically.

This is wrong. If you read Galileo's "Starry Messenger" (Sidereus Nuncius) he saw the moons as "stars" and even drew many diagrams of their positions with time. He looked at the moon and drew diagrams of its "mountains", and realized that many "nebulas" were merely collections of stars to small to see with the eye

He later observed Venus to have phases, like the moon, and correctly deduced that this implied it was an inner planet and evidence for the copernican system. He remarked about sunspots as well, and deduced that sun rotated. All of this was evidence that Aristotle was incorrect about the heavens being perfect and unchanging...

When Galileo looked at Saturn, he saw a disc and a strange extension from the middle, that he puzzled over. He wrote about it in code to kepler, IIRC, saying: "does saturn eat his young", or something like that, a reference to GrecoRoman Mythology.
https://eee.uci.edu/clients/bjbecker/ExploringtheCosmos/lecture12.html

Galileo was kept under house arrest for most of the rest of his life, largely following his release of treatise called something like "dialogue between the two chief world systems" where he put the arguments of the pope/church into the mouth of a character named "simplicio". Brass balls, he had.
360 years later, the pope expressed regret over the way the Galileo affair was handled...

Obviously there is some miscommunication here. It occurs to me that exotic conductors like long- (or single-) crystal copper and silver would be less susceptible to electromigration. And where does the electrolyte come in?
John

FWIW, my experience is that 'long-crystal' copper take longer than normal OFC to 'burn-in' and 'long-crystal' silver even longer.

Otherwise, before you delude others who come to these forums seeking knowledge into wasting their money unwisely, you should tell them that your results are subjective, and based on faith or intuition, not objective fact.

:confused: What does burn-in and wasting money have to do with each other? You get it for free even if you can't hear the difference. ;)

Well the big clue that cable cookers could be a scam is that you can't measure the effects. The same tone you use to normally measure FR is the same one they use to burn in the cable - a sweep tone. So in a way it is impossible to measure the cable before it's been burned in. Of course most of these manufacturers claim the need to cook a cable for extended periods of time so you should be able to take a measurement on the first sweep and then take one an hour later after cooking it and they should measure differently - well if they actually do anything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.